Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
My mom has COPD, two really bad knees, and a chronic fatigue problem. We're going November 2014 with my two aunts, one of which also has mobility issues. We're renting them both scooters and we're planning on doing a few hours at a park then back to the resort for a nap before heading back to a park for dinner and the night shows (Illuminations, Wishes, Fantasmic). We're also planning two "rest" days in our 7 day trip. These are days where we do nothing but hang out at the resort and chill before we go to dinner at another resort (Boma & HoopDeeDoo). lol I have already informed them both that I fully intend to be the "bad cop" when it comes to enforcing our rest periods because I know that my mom has such limited endurance. I don't need her getting too fatigued and possibly sick by day two.

We picked the Art of Animation for a couple of reasons: 1) it gives us plenty of room in the suit for all four adults and two scooters; 2) it has a zero entry pool; and 3) the food court is outstanding from all accounts we've heard. But I think that's going to be way too small for your needs.

I think you might be surprised at the amount of things your mother can actually do. There are a lot of slow, gentle attractions that shouldn't be too jarring for her (Spaceship Earth, Carousel of Progress, Ellen's World of Energy, etc), especially thinking of the things that don't require her to get off of her scooter (Tiki Room, Country Bears, etc). Our group is in the middle of discussing the different attractions that we all want to see and the not having to get off and on the scooter thing (which really wears my mother out) rates an attraction very high on our list. Epcot's World Showcase in particular, with all it's "street" performances, could be a lot of fun for your mom without overtaxing her. Same thing with all the shows and parades- lots of magic there without expending a lot of physical energy to enjoy.

One thing I would suggest (and I'm doing it for both my mom and aunt) is getting a medical alert bracelet/necklace that has their name along with yours and a cell phone number to reach you while at WDW. That way if something should happen while she was at the resort by herself, castmembers/EMTs will have a direct way to contact you. Both my mom and aunt already have cell phones which they will be bringing, if your mom doesn't have one, you might pick her up a simple disposable one that you can program your numbers into so that she can get a hold of you if she's by herself.

I hope you're able to go and take her and that you all have a wonderful time.
Great idea about the medical alert bracelet and the cell phone. Like you said, I don't think AoA would work for us because of the kids - just a little too tight for the 6 of us.

My biggest concern for her riding rides is because she doesn't so much walk as she shuffles, I'm not sure she could move fast enough to get on one of the rides with moving entrances and I'm not sure that she would be able to step up/down enough to get in/out of the boat rides like IASW or the Grand Fiesta Tour.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: