Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Ok I'm a little confused. Looking at the in room flyer that one of my facebook friends posted, it says the monorail to the Magic Kingdom will still be available. That it is the one between the Poly and the TTC that will be down between 11 am and 6 pm.

"Traveling between your resort (the Poly) and the Magic Kingdom Park Monorail 7 am to one hour after park closing.

Traveling between your resort and the Transportation and Ticket Center
Monorail 7 am -11 am
Bus 11 am - 6 pm
Monorail 6 pm to one hour after park closing."
Right, you can get the express monorail to MK from the Poly by walking to the TTC. GF is really the resort that loses the most, you can't walk to MK or the TTC to get to Epcot. Contemporary you can walk to MK and get the express monorail to the TTC.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Sadly, you are NOT paying big bucks to stay on a monorail, you are paying big bucks to stay at a deluxe hotel where one of the advertised amenities happens to be a monorail. You may feel differently, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Sadly maintenance or other construction work may sometimes impact on any hotel amenities - swimming pools, restaurants, shops - and yes, some of their transportation options.

Disney will try their best to get everyone to their destinations as efficiently as possible, and they may even offer to voluntarily compensate some people in some situations (like they did for some guests over the recent fridge safety issues) but they most certainly are not obliged to.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
quigs3
Winds in the east, mist comin' in, like somethin' is brewin', about to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Right, you can get the express monorail to MK from the Poly by walking to the TTC. GF is really the resort that loses the most, you can't walk to MK or the TTC to get to Epcot. Contemporary you can walk to MK and get the express monorail to the TTC.
We are staying at GF in a few weeks, and I have to admit that I was a little perturbed when I read about the daily shut-down. I'm trying not to let it get to me, and hopefully the construction will be over by the time we arrive. This will be our first stay here, and it is definitely not something that I would normally spring the extra money for. The monorail is certainly one of the main draws to this resort, and it is irritating to think it may not be in use. I know that we can take the boat to MK, but if it's anything like the boat at Wilderness Lodge, the wait is often ridiculously long. At any rate, I'm not going to worry about it until we get there. It's out of my control, and I'm not going to let it ruin our trip.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

As much as I love the Poly, I don't think I would be booking it anytime soon, without a good discount. Between the monorail being iffy at best, and the construction, it would be less than I think it should be. I guess I could take either construction, or a less than 100% operational monorail, but not both.

Though if they would offer it for $200 a night I might force myself to deal.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #35
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Sadly, you are NOT paying big bucks to stay on a monorail, you are paying big bucks to stay at a deluxe hotel where one of the advertised amenities happens to be a monorail. You may feel differently, but unfortunately that's the way it is.
I have to respectfully disagree. The three resorts on the monorail line are the most expensive because of their access to the monorail. Yes, it's nothing more than a very convenient amenity, yet it's also one that people (myself included) pay through their teeth for. In the event of the monorail not being available for a good portion of the day for part of or the entire portion of someone's stay, compensation of some form should be given. Whether that's a room discount, free breakfast, a box of Mickey Bars.. Disney ought to step up to the plate in realizing that the single amenity (most) people have paid ~$500/night for is not available for 7 hours each day.

It's just my $0.02. Some will agree, others won't, but I completely understand the disappointment of not only the OP but also for others who were hit with this new development via a flyer slipped under their doors.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #36
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

It's not just the monorail. Here are the resort boat changes in October:

Several resort boats will have shortened schedules
The resorts affected are Old Key West, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter and Saratoga Springs. Additional buses will be running during these times.
The boats will not be running during the following times:
October 9: 4:35pm-6:45pm
October 10-17: 10:00am-11:00am and 3:15pm-6:45pm
October 18: 10:00am-11:00am and 3:15pm-closing
October 19: 10:00am-5:30pm
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #37
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaroseub View Post
They were happy to take my money back then. I'm not saying they can predict exactly what day they will be doing things like this but have a contingency plan. A small effort in the name of customer service goes a long way. They've made lots of changes that create many restrictions over the past 2 months and the prices keep going up. They are going to turn lots of people to go other places. It's too bad really.

Look, we'll survive, but there are lots of people this could cause problems for. If your fridge doesn't work they give you a $15 credit back to your room per day. It's not unreasonable when they are charging upwards of $1200 a night for a monorail hotel. At the Contemporary there is no boat option unless you go to the Fort Wilderness resort then to MK.
They have a contingency plan: buses and extra boats.

The changes are to provide a better customer experience overall.

You don't get a $15 per night credit if your room refrigerator doesn't work. You get it repaired or replaced. Some guests did get that credit when Disney chose to remove over 20,000 potentially dangerous refrigerators from all three locations.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The three resorts on the monorail line are the most expensive because of their access to the monorail.
But they are not the most expensive. Both the Beach Club and the Boardwalk base rooms are more expensive than the base rooms at the Contemporary.

Disney doesn't price rooms based on access to the monorails alone. That is but one of a lot of amenities factored in to the cost. As I had one resort manager tell me when I was unhappy an amenity was unavailable for my whole stay, Disney doesn't have to give you any prior notice when something is closed. And they don't have the habit of offering discounts because part of a resort is not available.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
It's not just the monorail. Here are the resort boat changes in October:

Several resort boats will have shortened schedules
The resorts affected are Old Key West, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter and Saratoga Springs. Additional buses will be running during these times.
The boats will not be running during the following times:
October 9: 4:35pm-6:45pm
October 10-17: 10:00am-11:00am and 3:15pm-6:45pm
October 18: 10:00am-11:00am and 3:15pm-closing
October 19: 10:00am-5:30pm
That has something to do with dragon boat races. And they are adding extra buses to the route to make up for the lack of the boats.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #40
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Let's imagine that they dismantled the monorail entirely...I don't think that the room prices at the GF, Poly or CR would stay at the same levels.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #41
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Let's imagine that they dismantled the monorail entirely...I don't think that the room prices at the GF, Poly or CR would stay at the same levels.
Why not? Not everyone uses the monorails to begin with. And the proximity to the Magic Kingdom wouldn't be changed. Nor would the views.

If anyone things people would pay what they charge for the deluxe resorts anywhere else, someplace not on Disney property, you are kidding yourself. Do you think if the Poly was plopped down in say, Baton Rouge, and a monorail was built around it, they would charge and get the same rates?

Nope. The monorail is only one part of the equation. Only part of the reason they charge what they charge for those resorts. Take the monorail away and many people would still pay, still keep staying at the Poly and GF and Contemporary.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #42
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But they are not the most expensive. Both the Beach Club and the Boardwalk base rooms are more expensive than the base rooms at the Contemporary.

Disney doesn't price rooms based on access to the monorails alone. That is but one of a lot of amenities factored in to the cost. As I had one resort manager tell me when I was unhappy an amenity was unavailable for my whole stay, Disney doesn't have to give you any prior notice when something is closed. And they don't have the habit of offering discounts because part of a resort is not available.
But imagine that they closed off the walkway from BC, YC and BW and you could no longer walk to Epcot. Wouldn't that detract from the appeal of those hotels?

Now, I know it's not a perfect analogy, but my point is, the monorail being down during the day takes away a major part of the appeal of those resorts, just like blocking the Epcot walkway would.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #43
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
But imagine that they closed off the walkway from BC, YC and BW and you could no longer walk to Epcot. Wouldn't that detract from the appeal of those hotels?

Now, I know it's not a perfect analogy, but my point is, the monorail being down during the day takes away a major part of the appeal of those resorts, just like blocking the Epcot walkway would.
To make your analogy fair, you would have to say the walkway was blocked part of the time. You could not use the walkway during the middle of the day, but it was available all other times. And Disney was still willing to shuttle you to the park. An inconvenience, but not a tragedy.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #44
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why not? Not everyone uses the monorails to begin with. And the proximity to the Magic Kingdom wouldn't be changed. Nor would the views.

If anyone things people would pay what they charge for the deluxe resorts anywhere else, someplace not on Disney property, you are kidding yourself. Do you think if the Poly was plopped down in say, Baton Rouge, and a monorail was built around it, they would charge and get the same rates?

Nope. The monorail is only one part of the equation. Only part of the reason they charge what they charge for those resorts. Take the monorail away and many people would still pay, still keep staying at the Poly and GF and Contemporary.
If you think those resorts would be able to charge the same rates if the monorail was entirely dismantled, you are kidding yourself. Of course its only one part of the price, but it is an important one.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #45
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To make your analogy fair, you would have to say the walkway was blocked part of the time. You could not use the walkway during the middle of the day, but it was available all other times. And Disney was still willing to shuttle you to the park. An inconvenience, but not a tragedy.
Yes, that is what I meant, part of the day. And I think if that ever happened, customers staying at those resorts would be quite annoyed. No one ever said this was a tragedy.

Tags
contemporary, monorail, october

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: