Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Smile Wilderness Lodge or Port Orleans Riverside ?

So,
We are booking our trip for this December and have a difficult choice. I have secured a good deal at Wilderness Lodge for 11 nights at $321 per night, but the fiscally conservative (cheap) side of me is considering whether we should just switch to Port Orleans Riverside (king room) for $237pn.

Basically, is it worth the extra money to stay at Wilderness Lodge? I have never stayed or visited Wilderness Lodge, so it is hard for me to imagine. Any experienced advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
  • Disneyland - Grand Californian - February 2011
  • Aulani - 2012, 2013
  • WDW - Wilderness Lodge - December 2013
  • Disneyland Paris - September 2014
SenorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Go Deluxe if you can afford it. You will never regret it. Especially of you plan on spending at least a whole day on site.
mevelandry is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

WL - location better, boat to MK - so wonderful in the AM
Views of the water parade at night
Lovely area's to walk around
Very close to the HDD show
Nice places to eat and very close to monorail loop resort restaurants.
Try the Whispering Canyon - good bar-b-q and lots of fun
Rooms open to a hallway, not outside.
Closets have doors
Very nice views - do a woods view, do not waste money on a pool view.
Short walks to everything at the resort.
The bus stop has a over-head walkway, so you never get wet going to the bus or from the bus.
Only down-fall we feel is the pool is to small, at least at prime time to use it, from 11 AM to 5 PM.

POR - never stayed there, looks like it has a better pool than WL, but unsure with the amount of kids who stay at POR vs WL.
POR also looks very spread out with long walks outside, far from all the amenities, no doors on the closets, and the elements are right outside your door.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Folks often ask if the price difference btw mods and deluxes are worth it. The answer is yes- thats why they cost more. The previous poster laid out good reasons, especially if you spend time at the resort and take advantage of everything included in the price. So you can save money on parks tixs.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGreg View Post
So,
We are booking our trip for this December and have a difficult choice. I have secured a good deal at Wilderness Lodge for 11 nights at $321 per night, but the fiscally conservative (cheap) side of me is considering whether we should just switch to Port Orleans Riverside (king room) for $237pn.

Basically, is it worth the extra money to stay at Wilderness Lodge? I have never stayed or visited Wilderness Lodge, so it is hard for me to imagine. Any experienced advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Worth is subjective as it's different for everybody, but for us, the extra cost is worth it for the WL. We've never stayed at POR, but we love the WL. The WL is a beautiful resort any time of year, but especially so during the holidays. The lobby is breathtaking, the grounds are beautiful, it's convenient having the boat for going back and forth to MK, and Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals/snacks. If it were me, I'd go with the WL without hesitation. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Worth is subjective as it's different for everybody, but for us, the extra cost is worth it for the WL. We've never stayed at POR, but we love the WL. The WL is a beautiful resort any time of year, but especially so during the holidays. The lobby is breathtaking, the grounds are beautiful, it's convenient having the boat for going back and forth to MK, and Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals/snacks. If it were me, I'd go with the WL without hesitation. Good luck.

I value location and transportation convenience and since the Monorail hotels are over $400 for our dates, and so are the Epcot area hotels within walking distance, it came down to WL. I am betting the Christmas decor and the transportation convenience help it win out over POR. Also, having an beautiful resort to stay in is never a waste!

Ideally I would have liked BCV or YC for convenience, but pricing has been too high. Will keep an eye out for cheaper rooms becoming available however. That said, WL will be one awesome choice too.
  • Disneyland - Grand Californian - February 2011
  • Aulani - 2012, 2013
  • WDW - Wilderness Lodge - December 2013
  • Disneyland Paris - September 2014
SenorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at WL, CSR & POFQ. I feel POFQ was the most bang for my buck as WL didn't offer much more in terms of amenities yet I have fallen in love with WL and keep wanting to go back. It's like home. And the smell, oh, the wonderfu smell! If you are staying in Dec I would definitely go WL. And make sure you give Artist Point a try!
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Distinkt
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at both, and honestly I believe that I like the Port Orleans Riverside King better than Wilderness Lodge. Has WL been updated? The last time we were there it was a little tired. I love the landscaping at Port Orleans as well, but I will say that transportation from Port Orleans can be slow. On the other hand, we waited and waited for buses at WL too.

At Port Orleans you can take the boat/ferry to Downtown Disney and that is a plus. I like the food court at Port Orleans better than the one at WL. If you stay at WL you should eat at Whispering Canyons at least once, but it is a bit noisy (part of that is on purpose and part of the experience and part due to the location in the lobby). The noise doesn't help to contribute to a relaxing meal as far as I am concerned.

The WL Electric Light parade is awesome though. Go to the beach and watch.
Distinkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

WL at Christmas time??? No contest. WL, WL, WL!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGreg View Post
I value location and transportation convenience and since the Monorail hotels are over $400 for our dates, and so are the Epcot area hotels within walking distance, it came down to WL. I am betting the Christmas decor and the transportation convenience help it win out over POR. Also, having an beautiful resort to stay in is never a waste!

Ideally I would have liked BCV or YC for convenience, but pricing has been too high. Will keep an eye out for cheaper rooms becoming available however. That said, WL will be one awesome choice too.
The Christmas decorations at the WL are gorgeous!!! They give the lobby a cozy/homey holiday feel. Good luck with a discount for BCV or YC, but if that doesn't work out, I don't think you would regret the WL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinkt View Post
Has WL been updated? The last time we were there it was a little tired.
The WL rooms were refurbed spring/summer 2012.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
Go Deluxe if you can afford it. You will never regret it. Especially of you plan on spending at least a whole day on site.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
DreamerWDW
Doing what dreamers do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
WL at Christmas time??? No contest. WL, WL, WL!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
MCC Retired
Earning My Ears

It appears that OP rates are non discounted .
If one of those hotels had a decent discount , that would help me choose .
Also , if you check Trip Advisor you will see some common complaints (and praises)
particular to each property.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
MCC Retired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, port orleans riverside, wilderness lodge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: