Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Tipping for low-occupancy rooms

What do people think about tipping for single-occupancy staterooms? I know what the official Disney guidance is (i.e. just the standard per-person tip amounts), but what do you think?

I figure that the three dining room people should be considered no differently by solo travelers: they have a certain number of seats in their area. If you're seated at a 4-top, there's no difference in tipping if it's a family of 4 or 4 separate solo travelers.

But the stateroom host is different. If a newer ship is at full passenger capacity, there is an average of 3.2 guests per stateroom. So, a single traveler generates less than 1/3 of the auto-tip that an "average" one does. Now, shipwide, it all balances out, but there's no guarantee that the offsetting rooms that are packed are handled by the same stateroom host. It's worse on a sailing that is not at full total occupancy, as there may be no offsetting high-occupancy room.

I figure that a room that has a single occupant is a bit less work to clean than one with 3 or 4, but not by much, and certainly not proportionally so. That being the case, is it reasonable to think that it might be nice to offer a substantial extra tip to the stateroom host, just to bring things back in line to their normal tip for cleaning the room? Such as perhaps double just as a start for standard service?

Taken to the extreme, what about the Royal on a classic ship that sleeps 7 being occupied by only two people?
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: