Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
minniemouse1
Member of the Grand Slam Club!

Our first cruise was a 3 day and I was 22 weeks pregnant and our youngest was 10 months old. I learned a lot on that cruise for our next one when we had a 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 yo. It was a 7 day and we had a great time. We took the kids on the Grand Cayman stingray excursion used the nursery for the baby and the oldest went to the oceaneers club. On our 3rd cruise we had a 4 1/2, 3 1/2, and a nursing 9 month old. Nursing on the cruise was way easier than at WDW I never felt "exposed" or had any issues. When I brought her to the nursery I would go into the crib room sit in a rocking chair and nurse her. Then she would fall asleep and I put her in the crib and leave. It was great! I finally got to enjoy some adult activities in the evening. We have always traveled with our kids when they were babies and they love the pictures. They can recall events from the cruise as early as when they were 2 1/2!
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
Magic 2015 7 Day Mediterranean
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Apsychmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymom83
Hearing your stories makes me feel a little better about taking my youngest when she's still under 3. A disney cruise would probably be the best option for that age. I know the other two would have a blast! I want to be sure we'll all be able to enjoy the cruise though.

What type of excursions can you do with an 18 month old?
We booked our cruise last minute and we weren't really interested in excursions that the ship offered, so we mostly took taxis to the beaches close to port so we could head back to the ship when we wanted. The cruise ship we went on didn't have a nursery, so that's a big bonus with going with DCL. I think I read somewhere that you can leave your kids in the nursery and go into port? Double check that, but that might be a good option to take a short excursion with your older ones.
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Apsychmommy
Mouseketeer

Forgot to mention, but we are taking our youngeston his first cruise. He's turning 3 and we chose a beach destination. I thought a glass bottom boat tour or the submarine might be good excursion options since he loves aquariums. Maybe those might be good excursions for your youngest, too.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
njdisneylovr
Mouseketeer

Well, we are taking a 71 year old on his first cruise in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes Seriously, I'm not sure there is a perfect age. I do know, or feel, that a cruise it's a much easier way of vacationing with a small one, because of access to your room.
njdisneylovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran

Our DD Christina was 10, so she had her pick between Oceaneer's club, or Edge. She chose the Edge and really loved the freedom the older kids had compared to what she would have done in the oceaneers club/lab.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

While DD was 3 on our first cruise, she didn't like the club so spent all of her time with us other than that hour she spent there with her brother. We didn't pick DCL for an adult vacation though, we picked it because it was great for families. While DS5 would have stayed in the club 24/7, we spent lots of quality time with DD. DH traveled 50% of the year, so this was the first time in a long time that she had him with her for 7+ days. We didn't start going to the nightclub until our 9th cruise on the Fantasy when the kids were 11 & 13. DD never did take to the clubs and had to be talked into going during Palo, but when we cruise with friends the kids stick together.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
Disneymom83
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice :-) it does make sense that a cruise would be easier with a younger child/baby than most other places. Hopefully we can start planning a disney cruise soon!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymom83 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice :-) it does make sense that a cruise would be easier with a younger child/baby than most other places. Hopefully we can start planning a disney cruise soon!!!
I tell everyone a Disney cruise is the only "real" vacation I get! Anywhere else and I'm still doing the same thing I do at home, just in a different place.

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
allison0523
Mouseketeer

Our son was 2 on his first cruise. He was too young for the kids club but we used in the in-cabin babysitting on NCL. Since then, he has been on 3 more cruises with the last one being Disney. He loves cruising and told me we need to go on 4 this year (he is 5 now). Better start saving. I think the age matters when you think about the things you would like to do on a cruise and the amenities you want to use (like the kids club, pool, etc.).
allison0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

We just got back with our twin 23 month olds and 3.5 year old. It was a lot of work, but it was also a very enjoyable vacation.

The 23 month olds were old enough to recognize characters and enjoy them without being scared. They were old enough to be able to handle getting off their normal schedule without too many meltdowns. They were old enough to walk around the ship without needing to be carried constantly. They were old enough to play in the open house in the club (slide, etc.) without me having to follow them around.

I think the 2 year old age is perfect, and I wouldn't want to take them much younger. Of course, it is a bit different with twins. The logistics of one younger child is just a lot easier.

I'm of the mindset that you plan the vacation and the kids come along. We took all three of our kids to WDW for the first time at 11 months old, not because we thought they would get something out of it, but because we wanted to vacation there.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
cruisingtwins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdisneylovr View Post
Well, we are taking a 71 year old on his first cruise in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes Seriously, I'm not sure there is a perfect age. I do know, or feel, that a cruise it's a much easier way of vacationing with a small one, because of access to your room.
cruisingtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Our youngest was 16 months old when we took her on a Disney cruise. Although I think ideally age 2 or 3 would have been better, we can't put our lives on hold until our kids are the perfect age. (We have 2 older kiddos).We had planned the cruise before I knew I was pregnant with her, so we decided to stick with our plans.

We made a YouTube music video of that one, and our next one when she was 2 1/2. All 3 of our kids had a fantastic time on both cruises.

On our next cruise, our youngest will be 3, we are looking forward to not having to reserve nursery time!
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
hpsalb
Mouseketeer

DS had been on DCL at 1.5 and 2.5. The second trip was definitely easier, although we enjoyed both. The first we did just the cruise, the second we did both WDW and DCL. At 2.5 he was potty trained and able to use the pools, but he did not miss it at all the first time because he enjoyed Nemo's Reef. We used the nursery and visited the kids clubs during open house time both times.

Probably also depends on the babe - DS was not very flexible at 1.5, so if (when!) his schedule got too out of whack, he fell apart.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #29
madelyn
DIS Veteran

Want to emphasize what one poster said about not waiting too long or your oldest will think he/she is "too old" for a Disney cruise. We have kids who will be 15, 12 and 7 when we go on our first cruise in December. My 15 year old son is complaining and saying he doesn't want to go. The 12 year old is somewhat excited and the 7 year old can't wait. I think the biggest thing with my 15 year old is that he will have to live without internet for a few days and won't be connected to his friends. The odd thing is that he says he still would be excited about going to the parks. But we haven't actually gone on the cruise and once he does maybe he will enjoy himself.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
Madzac
DIS Veteran

Our youngest had just turned two when we went. She had a blast and still talks about the ship and the mickey ketchup months later. She is very shy so didn't do the nursery or want to be in the pools. It was an awesome trip! And so much easier than the parks as the room eas always so close!! With that saI'd I do look forward to next cruise when she will be 4 and can do the kids clubs and pools!
Previous trips: WDW:CBR 3/93, ASMo 5/99, POFQ 5/06, WL 5/09, windsor hills 10/12. DL: Offsite 2/07, 3/10. DCL Dream 4 night bahamas 6/13 (trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131854)... next up Magic 7 night Western 3/2015, DL offsite 7/2016
Madzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: