Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
flamark
Mouseketeer

POR Transportation

Just returned from a 6 night stay at POR. Got free dining; had to do 2 rooms since there were 8 of us. Everything was great but the buses. It seemed to be a rather long wait and the buses were always very crowded. There were times we didn't get on the first bus to our destination and I think I got to sit once out of all the bus rides. I never let a lady sit when I could stand in her place so that really isn't a big deal. It just seemed like transport really sucked for lack of a better word. Another thing that kind of ticked me off is that I got a preferred room to be close to the south depot and get 1st pick up and drop off but that wasnt always the case either. Did I just get used to the great bus service at deluxe resorts and am just imagining the relative crappiness or is this something other folks have experienced recently as well?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamark View Post
Another thing that kind of ticked me off is that I got a preferred room to be close to the south depot and get 1st pick up and drop off but that wasnt always the case either.
Oh No! Really? I have a stay planned in April, and got preferred, assuming that we would be 1st p/u too. So, your saying that they switch the routes? What building did you get, and did you find preferred was worth it to be near the main building and the pool?

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary 9/2014 Yacht Club
*We're working that annual pass before time runs out!

snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

That stinks!

I have to say, that although I love deluxe resorts, I find the buses to be kind of pitiful. Always sharing, and always waiting.

But, I had a 5 night stay at POFQ this past week and it was great!! Never waited long for a bus and no sharing...it was great!

I did walk over to POR at one point and take the bus from there, and as I suspected I would...I very much disliked the multiple bus stops (just like I did at CBR)

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

The South Depot is not always the first picked up. It is sometimes the last. Just like at CSR where the first stop picked up is numbered as stop #2. And the bus route at CBR varies as well. What I am saying is that there are no guarantees at any moderate resort that the bus route will be set in stone. And I'm sorry you assumed the preferred buildings would be the first picked up, because that is not the case at any moderate resort either.

OP--I have to say you are imagining the bus service compares poorly to that of the deluxe resorts. I've stayed at the Contemporary, the Poly, and the Beach Club, and the bus service at all 3 was pitiful. I've found the bus service at POR to be head and shoulders above all 3 of those resorts.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamark View Post
Just returned from a 6 night stay at POR. Got free dining; had to do 2 rooms since there were 8 of us. Everything was great but the buses. It seemed to be a rather long wait and the buses were always very crowded. There were times we didn't get on the first bus to our destination and I think I got to sit once out of all the bus rides. I never let a lady sit when I could stand in her place so that really isn't a big deal. It just seemed like transport really sucked for lack of a better word. Another thing that kind of ticked me off is that I got a preferred room to be close to the south depot and get 1st pick up and drop off but that wasnt always the case either. Did I just get used to the great bus service at deluxe resorts and am just imagining the relative crappiness or is this something other folks have experienced recently as well?
I feel your pain. It's the number 2 reason why I rented a car on my last stay. (Number 1 reason having to do with DME issue)

I enjoyed having a rental car so much that I may rent one on every trip from now on if I fly.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The South Depot is not always the first picked up. It is sometimes the last. Just like at CSR where the first stop picked up is numbered as stop #2. And the bus route at CBR varies as well. What I am saying is that there are no guarantees at any moderate resort that the bus route will be set in stone. And I'm sorry you assumed the preferred buildings would be the first picked up, because that is not the case at any moderate resort either.

OP--I have to say you are imagining the bus service compares poorly to that of the deluxe resorts. I've stayed at the Contemporary, the Poly, and the Beach Club, and the bus service at all 3 was pitiful. I've found the bus service at POR to be head and shoulders above all 3 of those resorts.
I just returned from 11 days at CSR, and the preferred rooms there are near bus stop 2, and were ALWAYS the 1st stop to be picked up and dropped off. For many people, that's the appeal for paying preferred prices. That is why I booked preferred at POR for next time. I'm disappointed to hear they rotate the route at this resort.

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary 9/2014 Yacht Club
*We're working that annual pass before time runs out!

snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelyn View Post
I just returned from 11 days at CSR, and the preferred rooms there are near bus stop 2, and were ALWAYS the 1st stop to be picked up and dropped off. For many people, that's the appeal for paying preferred prices. That is why I booked preferred at POR for next time. I'm disappointed to hear they rotate the route at this resort.
Stop #2 is directly behind building #4, which is not a preferred building.
Depending on where your preferred room is, it can be quicker to walk out front to the main stop, which is the last stop on the way to the parks. I've never seen the bus stop being listed as part of the perks of getting a preferred room. All a preferred room gets you is close to the main buildings--the food court and gift shop.

Booking a preferred room doesn't guarantee you will be near the first stop. It is not true of any moderate resort, except POFQ. Which only has one bus stop.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: