Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpswift View Post
There are many other things that your family can enjoy besides cruising. Take a break and do something else. Explore other alternatives and check back in a year to see if any new itineraries are offered. I think that is Disneys biggest problem right now. There are not enough different options. Last year we went on 2 cruises both went to Nassau. On our Disney cruise(the first was on another line) I did not get off the ship. For a good part of 2014 all 4 ships are in the same area. 2 of which are doing the same itinerary.

DCL is great but there are other places to go. I know they have added some but they are very limited.
I agree. We try to mix other things besides WDW or DCL. Over the years we did Yosemite/San Fran, Grand Canyon/Sedona, Niagara Falls, Williamsburg/VA Beach, & Shenandoah Valley, VA.
It's been 5 yrs since we went to Sedona and the kids still ask to return. Next summer we'll probably do Northern AZ & Southern Utah. My older ds will be 17, have his driver's license & if we ride ATVs he can ride alone instead of on the back of dh's.
I love Disney but there's more to life & the world than just Disney all the time. I feel like I'd be doing my kids a huge disservice to limit vacations like that. Still on our bucket list is Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone & Hawaii.

My family is totally parked out and DCL'd out. Too much of even a good thing makes it not so special anymore. I'd go tomorrow in a heartbeat just for the (almost) guaranteed good service & ability to lay back & veg. Other cruise lines make me wish I booked DCL instead. I still have dummy dates but I'll save them a while until they start to miss it.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
Anyway, I am sure we will have fun, but the novelty for me has diminished, perhaps not unexpectedly.
Just like everything else in life. We got a season pass to Disneyland and went 3 times in one year. It did start to get a bit boring.

I think Disney Cruise should have the ship stop in Port au Prince Haiti and we could get some perspective on how most people on this planet live. I feel very lucky to be able to live in the US.
MillauFr is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

I get what the OP is saying. I LOVE DCL, and can keep going. My husband however is fed up with the itineraries and is tired of the same shows.

Whenever DCL comes out with itineraries, I have to cross my fingers for new ones.

That being said, I will still be cruising DCL. My kids and I love it. My hubby has no choice but to come.
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Just like everything else in life. We got a season pass to Disneyland and went 3 times in one year. It did start to get a bit boring.

I think Disney Cruise should have the ship stop in Port au Prince Haiti and we could get some perspective on how most people on this planet live. I feel very lucky to be able to live in the US.
Would you believe in the early 80's we were on NCL's Starward and we stopped in Porta Prince Haiti ! What an eye opener ! I could write a book !
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
HappyGirl2578
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
I think OP is just saying too much of a good thing.

It's o.k. to take a break.
I Agree! Explore other areas, cruise ships, lands.
HappyGirl2578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

DWF -- I know when I read your post the flames would come out :-)

Have you ever considered doing a ABD tour? My brother did a tour in Italy anb loved it. They have many more locations to pick from. I would love to do China or Peru.

Even to the case now my mother knows why I like DCL so much. She now want to try a cruise because an ABD tour. I still have some catching up to you on my cruises...In 30 days I'm completely a mini-mini grand slam by doing all concerige cabin types on the new ships :-)
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
CruiseCrazy44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am sitting here waiting for the Fantasy to depart and started to think how many times I have been in this situation. It is not that I am not grateful and fortunate to have been on all four Disney ships, however, we have already looked at the Navigator and decided what things we do not want to do! We booked this cruise as our oldest child is almost 13 and wanted one last cruise where she could be in the kids club. I again do not want to sound ungrateful, but I think we will skip DCL in 2014 and then hopefully feel up for it again in 2015. DWF
I really do understand what you are saying. Although you are obviously well off to be able to vacation so much and so nicely it has to draw out the jealousy in others (yes, me a little) but here is a thought. If you would like to keep taking disney cruises, why don't you look around you. Find some wonderful, not well to do family and pay for them to go on the trip with you. Experience the wonder and fantasy anew through their eyes. I know several wonderful families, that if I had the funds, I would bring along and it would bring me amazing joy to be able to do so.
CruiseCrazy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
... we have already looked at the Navigator and decided what things we do not want to do! ...
DWF
I have said it in the past ... this is the DIS Boards at its "worst". I take it that your cruise is sometime in the future ... and you have already "studied" the Navigators (and MDR menus too).

So what you are saying (and by "YOU" NOT you personally... I mean everyone that over plans this trip - trust me, I am NOT saying that planning is bad) is that you already know what all of your days look like - and its a lot of "been there done that". And you know what you are having for dinner so you can walk in, place your order and get on with it. Dinning rotations - not important - have a seat at the table is

A cruise is not the parks - don't know how many people wander in there and waste hours trying to figure out which direction Tomorrowland is from the hub. We are go, go, go at the parks. On the cruise is way more laid back.

We are "surprised" by the offerings in the Navigators, don't have a clue (well after 90 nights aboard DCL we do) as to what is on the menu each night, don't know what night Pirates Party is or Formal / Semi Formal nights. We treat each day as an adventure - not as a to do check list. The only things "set in stone" are the shore excursions. We have booked Palo brunch and dinners ahead of time (brunch usually first day on the ship) and have missed some activities we would have loved to attend. Choices, Choices!! And sometimes you have to pick the better over the good.

I have 14 nights booked for 2014 and am looking forward to it (especially the new Southern cruise). I do wish DCL would not have 3 or 4 ships booked in the Caribbean for half of the year. Or if they do to continue to offer new ports of call.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
I have said it in the past ... this is the DIS Boards at its "worst". I take it that your cruise is sometime in the future ... and you have already "studied" the Navigators (and MDR menus too). So what you are saying (and by "YOU" NOT you personally... I mean everyone that over plans this trip - trust me, I am NOT saying that planning is bad) is that you already know what all of your days look like - and its a lot of "been there done that". And you know what you are having for dinner so you can walk in, place your order and get on with it. Dinning rotations - not important - have a seat at the table is A cruise is not the parks - don't know how many people wander in there and waste hours trying to figure out which direction Tomorrowland is from the hub. We are go, go, go at the parks. On the cruise is way more laid back. We are "surprised" by the offerings in the Navigators, don't have a clue (well after 90 nights aboard DCL we do) as to what is on the menu each night, don't know what night Pirates Party is or Formal / Semi Formal nights. We treat each day as an adventure - not as a to do check list. The only things "set in stone" are the shore excursions. We have booked Palo brunch and dinners ahead of time (brunch usually first day on the ship) and have missed some activities we would have loved to attend. Choices, Choices!! And sometimes you have to pick the better over the good. I have 14 nights booked for 2014 and am looking forward to it (especially the new Southern cruise). I do wish DCL would not have 3 or 4 ships booked in the Caribbean for half of the year. Or if they do to continue to offer new ports of call.
Actually the OP was already on the ship when posting.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

17th for me, 11th for dh. We read the nav every day and circled all the things we want to do. Then we wound up chilling in the Cove or reading on deck 4 or napping in our stateroom, and missed them all. It was a great cruise!
LindaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
Mekamax
Earning My Ears

We love cruising but I know what you are saying. We change ships, cruise lines and destinations to keep it stirred up a bit. Also like to add in land vacations - roadtrips! Camping with RV and want to try Amtrak next year. Someone that cruises alot (10 cruises this year) told me that our group for the upcoming Disney cruise is talking like it is their only cruise this year or even ever as they are going over every little detail and I said yes that is probably the case and I am with them. I love every little detail and enjoy all the preparations. But I haven't cruised 10 times this year either! LOL Couldn't imagine being gone that much!
Mekamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

I can spend an entire Disney cruise watching funnel vision and eating ice cream cones. Navigators be damned!
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Lots of other places to go in the world other than just cruising. Vacations with similar prices would include WDW, Hawaii, California, or Europe. Or how about just picking out the best Caribbean island you've been to and spending a week there? I absolutely love DCL, but it's definitely not the "be all, end all" of vacations.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: