Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvENDisney View Post
Thanks Bear and Dug720. I didn't realize that. Is that just for stateroom? Will they auto tip for our servers?
The standard tips (room steward, main server, assistant server, head server) remain the same as if you were not sailing concierge. Whatever you tip concierge is extra and above.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
What if you really don't use their services, no booking excursions, no real request other than to sit in the lounge for a quick bite? Still 100.00 a day?
This is what this one individual did. And he utilized the concierge and new them very well from taking quite a few trips. We didn't tip anywhere near that amount.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
JoiseyMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
What Bear said. There is no auto-gratuity for concierge (which makes it weird that allegedly their only salary is from tips which nothing is ever said about. EVER.).
Well this was told to us by concierge. They are a tipped only position now, even at their level.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

DH and I sailed concierge last month on the Dream (4-night itinerary). What we ended up doing was looking at what DCL recommends for the other tipped positions on the ship and then arriving at an amount based on how much we used each person's services. Tips for the concierge hosts are divided evenly among the three-person team. DH and I decided on $15/person/day, or $120 total. We were regulars at the early cocktail reception and typically had two drinks apiece. We tipped the bartender $40 (cash). We stopped in the lounge at least twice per day for snacks, coffee, and bottled water, so we tipped the woman who was in charge of food and beverages $20 (also cash). We asked for two extra tip envelopes in the concierge lounge and used them for the bartender and the woman who took care of the food. We just crossed out "Server" and wrote the names of the people we were tipping.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

I may get flamed for this...

I find it a little unsettling that crew members feel compelled to tell concierge guests they do not get salary, and rely SOLELY on tips (seems in poor taste, and can be viewed as pandering).

I also find it unsettling that Disney would charge $10k++ for a concierge cruise and not give the concierge staff at least a small salary.

I believe they DO receive a base salary from Disney.
Donna3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
JoiseyMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna3271 View Post
I may get flamed for this...

I find it a little unsettling that crew members feel compelled to tell concierge guests they do not get salary, and rely SOLELY on tips (seems in poor taste, and can be viewed as pandering).

I also find it unsettling that Disney would charge $10k++ for a concierge cruise and not give the concierge staff at least a small salary.

I believe they DO receive a base salary from Disney.
It came up in conversation, started by my DH and it just came up.

They used to receive a salary and no tips, but then passengers kept asking about how much tips so DCL made the decision to make it a tipped position. There is no base.

And I agree, for what DCL charges they should be a paid position and tips a bonus for those that feel they went above and beyond.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
Well this was told to us by concierge. They are a tipped only position now, even at their level.
IMHO they are either idiots or have no real need to work then. Who in their right mind takes a job with no guarantee of pay?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
EvaSue
DIS Veteran

I totally agree that concierge guests pay for that service already and tips should be an extra and not the salary. I would never tip anywhere near what many are reporting. That's WHY I paid extra in the first place... For the concierge service. We are very low maintenance and are unlikely to use the service much as we have already set up everything we want shoreside, and we were more interested in the extra space than anything else once on board. I think it's a big bummer if that's true about tips being the only source of income.
EvaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:

IMHO they are either idiots or have no real need to work then. Who in their right mind takes a job with no guarantee of pay?
I'm pretty sure the servers are 100% tips.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

On our Fantasy cruise last year i saw various tips been given at the end of the two cruises.

The highest I saw.

One man tipped each of the three concierge hosts a personal tip;-
Host A and B $300 each and the host dealing with him at that time $400, so $1,000 for a seven night cruise.

He also added to the stateroom host but I didn't hear how much.

The lowest I saw.

A man who used there services quite often complained in front of us that Tips were being debited to his account each day, and that he hadn't been told about tipping being extra and wanted all tips taken off.

So he didn't pay anything to server, asst server, head server and stateroom host.

On the Wonder, last month I do not know as there isn't any concierge lounge.

Now from what I have heard and seen people use the other tips for server and stateroom host as a measure and base if they used services a lot or little against that.

If on the Wonder there are two hosts and there are 22 suites they have 11 each.

If they work 4 months on and two months off they work circa 34 weeks a year.

If people give $100 per stateroom on a seven night cruise then:-

Tip 100
Cabins 11
weeks 34
Income $37400

If people tip $140 say in line with stateroom servers.

Tip 140
Cabins 11
weeks 34
Income $52360

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I'm pretty sure the servers are 100% tips. Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Even if that is true, with the tips automatically added on and I would guess most people not knowing they can be removed, they have a pretty good estimate of what they are taking home. The odds of everyone in their section having the tips removed I would think is pretty remote unless they have a section that is one entire group of totally rude people.

With there being neither guidance for or mention of tips to the concierge staff, the possibility exists that they *could* get nothing. It just seems very odd that a position would be solely paid by tips would have not even the suggestion that they should be given.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Even if that is true, with the tips automatically added on and I would guess most people not knowing they can be removed, they have a pretty good estimate of what they are taking home. The odds of everyone in their section having the tips removed I would think is pretty remote unless they have a section that is one entire group of totally rude people.
I would guess that the auto-tip positions make more than just the auto-tip amounts: that is, I would guess that the amount of money they get from people leaving an extra tip in addition to the auto-tip amount far exceeds those that go to Guest Relations and have tips reduced or eliminated.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
True. We have sailed concierge back when it was a non tipped position and since it has been a tipped position. Personally, I have a very difficult time believing that the Concierge team works on tips only. Those positions are highly sought after and considered a major promotion. I can't see PJ leaving the position of Palo Manager, which I'm sure was salaried to take a tipped only position. That's a big risk when you are used to a certain income. If anything, they probably earn a lower base salary than they did when it was a non tipped position with tips making up the difference.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There may be a guaranteed minimum pay, even though it's 100% tips with no base pay. As an example, in many states, restaurant servers have a base pay that's very small, such as $2.70/hour, with the expectation that the vast majority of their income is from tips. If for whatever reason their total pay including tips dips below minimum wage, then the restaurant must make up the difference, but in ordinary situations, they pay only $2.70/hour. Just move that $2.70 hour to $0 and you might have what the concierges are faced with.

That is, they may indeed be paid $0 by Disney in what turns out to be all situations in practice, but at the same time have a guaranteed minimum pay so there's no possibility of working for nothing.

Also, there are a great many commission-only positions in the real world where the salespeople are independent contractors and thus truly have no guarantee of any income - they get paid on their own sales production and nothing else. Many people in such situations make a good deal of money, and might resent being called "idiots" or the implication that they don't have to work for a living.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #30
EvaSue
DIS Veteran

SuperDry, I think that sounds like a much more likely scenario! I groomed dogs at Petsmart to work my way through nursing school. They had it set up so that they more or less didn't pay us, because we worked off of commission. So we would get whichever was higher, either our base pay, OR our commission, but not both. Commissions were always, always higher, so they never had to pay us out anything. If they have something like that in place, it wouldn't surprise me. To the CM it equals the same thing in their minds: tips only.
EvaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: