Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #31
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
I'm with the OP. We tend to take longer, less frequent trips (10 days) since getting there involves a cross-country flight for us. Ten nights at $500 would total over six months of mortgage payments for us. I just can't justify spending that much on a hotel.
Even when I stayed club level at the Grand Floridian in the main building it was not $500 a night. If you learn to use discounts and go a week that isn't Easter or Christmas, you can pay for a Deluxe what people pay for rack rate at a moderate.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #32
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts! I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations! We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat. So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why???? Some of the arguments I've heard are.... Indoor corridors -- does that really matter? Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car. Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely! Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation. Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting! I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go. Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night! So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost? I'm honestly curious about this...

"But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go."

We don't travel like this to Disney anymore. We used to go morning til closing, although taking a pool break for the kids. We found this exhausting!

We've taken many trips to Disney. Now, we like to take everything in..We go early in the a.m. Come back, take a rest, swim, spend time at the resort. Have a cocktail on our balcony.

We also like to stay at the Epcot resorts. Dinner in Epcot every night means just walking thru the International Gateway. We can also walk to DHS or take the boat. I love that. Now, I can't do much of the walking, so I'm trying it ECV style this time :-)

Everyone has different ways of traveling.
That doesn't mean I'm not a coupon cutter, a sale ad shopper, & a discount I shall not miss.

When I ask my DH where he wants to go-It's Disney. When I ask him which hotel-he says by Epcot-kids too! I personally love GF!!

Yes, you can save a lot of money staying at a Mod or a Value, but your justification for not doing it is as strong as ours for making that choice. To me, that's one of the best things about Disney..There is something for everyone!

I love hearing ppl's trip reports..no matter where you stay, it's Disney! I personally could never stay off-site again!

I hope you enjoy your stay @ PoR..
I know I'm excited for my 1st stay @ BWI..
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts!

I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations!

We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat.

So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why????

Some of the arguments I've heard are....

Indoor corridors -- does that really matter?

Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car.

Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely!

Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation.

Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting!

I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go.

Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night!

So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost?

I'm honestly curious about this...

I'm currently planning my first trip to Disney. So I haven't stayed at any! Lol, I"m just going to give you my thought process through it all
First, I looked at the deluxes and was like, holy cow! no way!
And saw the mods and thought they were just as pretty! Then I realized i could spend less then the price of a moderate off site AND have a full kitchen. But I couldn't really find one that looked nice enough, so i'm back to on site!

And just the other day, i budgeted out if I stayed at a deluxe. I don't know what I like about them really...I love the theme of the Poly and Animal Kingdom. So that's why I would want to stay at those, the deluxes just seem more upscale, which i really like. But I can't afford them :\ But i'm okay with staying at a mod! They do look nice as well

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
Soarin4us
Earning My Ears

We usually go for quick trips-- just 3 or 4 days, so proximity to monorail saves valuable time. Also, with very tall teens who don't fit 2-in-a-bed, the daybed allows us to stay in 1 room, rather than 2.
Soarin4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Well, here's my two cents . . .

I live here and have an AP, so I can do day trips any time. When I go on "vacation" I want to stay at a nice resort where I can have a great time whether I go to the parks or not. For me, I spend about half my time at the resort and about half in the parks. Location does matter to me, because I focus on whatever parks are closest. I spent 10 days at WL in September, and only went to MK. I will be spending 10 days at BC in December and focusing on Epcot and DHS. I probably won't go to MK or AK on that trip. I enjoy the recreational facilities at the resort and the other activities like the beach movies. So most of the time I stay deluxe or DVC.

However, I do have some 1-3 night trips now and then, for things like after hours parties where I feel it will be too late (and I will be too tired) to drive home afterward. I am more likely to pick a value or moderate for those trips.

Interior corridors matter to me a lot during hot, rainy weather, and especially on my September trip during the peak of hurricane season. If there is a hurricane and you are at a value or moderate you are confined to your room. If you are somewhere like WL, you can get out of your room and move around in the building. But there are times of year, like in the spring when the temps are moderate and the rain nearly non-existent, that I don't mind separate buildings or exterior corridors.

I don't think it has to be an either/or. Every trip is different, and it's fun to stay different places.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #36
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I love Epcot area resorts. I hate spending a lot of time on the buses. A good compromise is Swan/Dolphin. You have two parks in walking distance for the price of a Mod.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #37
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I love Epcot area resorts. I hate spending a lot of time on the buses. A good compromise is Swan/Dolphin. You have two parks in walking distance for the price of a Mod.
The issue, of course, is then you need to pay to get yourself to and from the airport.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
The issue, of course, is then you need to pay to get yourself to and from the airport.
Yes you do. On the page before this one I mentioned that even after paying for a town car both ways, I still save lots of money over the WDW Epcot resorts.
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

What an odd question.

People stay where they want to and because they can afford it. Some prefer (or require) the extra space the deluxes offer. Some do it for the bigger, nicer pools, or the interior corridors, or the onsite TS restaurants, or the access to the Theme Parks by foot or by monorail or by boat.

What is worth spending money on to one person may not be to another. When we pay out of pocket, we stay at Pop. On our last trip, DH's uncle gave us his DVC points to use and we loved the resorts! If we could afford to stay at a deluxe OOP we would. They felt more luxurious, but I still love the values and the mods.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Yep factor that in your trip cost.

$65 plus tip for all 5 of us to MCO from S&D.

We walked out of the Dolphin-they waved a Town Car over and we were at MCO in 25 minutes.

ME is 3 hours before, so we had about 1 and 1/2 hours extra at the pool-which is worth a lot on a MN winter day.

Now with FP+, we will schedule attractions between 11AM and 4PM on check out day at either EPCOT or DHS, then no buses to get there and back to our EPCOT resort.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

To each their own.

I also clip coupons, but I also make our vacation a priority and our budget includes it.

We've never paid rack rate. Started out in 2003 with the stay 7/pay for for 4 offer and then we got APs and have always used the AP discounts - anywhere from 35 to 40% off rack rate.

For us the resort IS part of the vacation.

DH is more frugal than I am. That being said on our second trip we thought we would try a mod. We walked into our room at POR and within 30 minutes DH was back over at the GF switching our rooms -- HIS IDEA!

We like the bigger rooms, balconies or patios, indoor corridors, transportation other than the bus, nicer restaurants, room service, etc.

We are not park commandos and the resort is definitely a part of our vacation.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #42
BudgieMama
DIS Veteran

We looked at POFQ and were all set to book there... but wanted to upgrade from QSDP to the regular DP. That would have cost us £240.

For an extra £200, we could book for SSR, which would automatically upgrade our DP. For us, it worked out cheaper to upgrade.

We also preferred the look of SSR, and read the reviews, which were on the whole very positive. We'd not heard of DVC at the time, so I now understand why the resort is quieter and the studio room the basic option. We're travelling as two adults, so ruled out value as they were very child themed, and wanted somewhere nice and grown up!
Upcoming: October 2014: Yorkshire/Blackpool * February 2015: Iceland
Lifelong Dream: PTR Report *** Living the Dream Trip Report *** http://longsdisneytrip.blogspot.co.uk/
BudgieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #43
spritna
Mouseketeer

I like the idea of getting two value trips for the price of a one deluxe

spritna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritna
I like the idea of getting two value trips for the price of a one deluxe
Nice idea, but that doesn't work for many people
1) If you have a family larger than 4, your options are more limited...you can't do one room in a value
2) Not everyone is gonna have the vacation time for 2 trips or the desire for 2 trips to Disney
3) By the time some pay for plane, Disney tickets, food, souvenirs, photo pass, etc...the extra $1000 to stay at Deluxe doesn't come close to paying for another trip
4) Some people can afford Deluxe every trip (some people earn more than others)
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #45
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We stay at CR every trip and can't imagine staying anywhere else We go in Jan and always get some sort of deal. For us it is ALL about watching Wishes every night on our balcony We have no desire to survive the park during the fireworks crush and we enjoy the view from TP rooms.
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: