Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

I think what one of the pp's was trying to say is...
On the ship, once you are let into line, you WILL meet the princesses. The cast members who are monitoring the lines will cut off more people getting into line about 10 minutes before they are scheduled to be done, so that everyone in line gets their turn to meet the Princesses.
The Princess party is not to be missed...there are at least 4 Princesses in the lobby atrium, and your dd will get to meet, get photographs, and get autographs with each one, and you only wait in the one line. My dds are older now, but it was the highlight of one of our early cruises.
Also, on the ships, the Princesses tend to "break free" away from the scheduled appearances, and wander the ships. One of my dds best memories was encountering Ariel in a random hallway one day, and the 10 minute conversation that they had. As Ariel is my dd's favorite, she was in absolute awe! (And mom may have had a few tears over it!)

That all being said, the Castle is a great experience, and you might want to do it SOME day. But for this trip, I'd skip it and take the chance with the character interactions on the ship.

Have a great trip!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
We've done two 7-nighters on the Wonder and it was Alice both times. The only time there was a Princess tea party for us was on the WBPC this year and it was a huge deal in Triton's to which they invited every kid on the ship. They actually had two so they could accommodate everyone.
That is a completely different event that is only held on the TA & PC repos. It was wonderful in 2008! The snacks they served were really good too. I guess they have switched to Alice for the regular tea on the Wonder now. It was princesses in 2011.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
hpsalb
Mouseketeer

This is not quite an answer to what you are asking, but we decided not to focus on meeting characters in the parks on our last trip, since we had limited park time. We decided it would be better to see them on the boat. What I mean is that we didn't head out with an autograph book and wait in line to see them. If it was convenient, we did meet and have a picture.

In regard to character meals, we did two character breakfasts while at WDW (Crystal Palace and Tusker House). We did pre-park opening seatings and got in early for those. I would do that all over again; there is no character meal on the 4 night sailings (well, none I've been on).
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr2 View Post
Hi there the title of my post says it all. This is our first Disney cruise. My kids have been to WDW before. My friends who have Disney cruised tell me not to waste $ on character dining for the 4 days before we get on the boat (we are doing the Magic in March 2014). However, I do have a princess obsessed 4 year old. I cant imagine how she will react when I tell her we are not going into Cinderellas castle!

Any advice? I really don't want to shell out thousands on character dining before the boat. Are the princesses there?

Thanks!
OP - if you really want a character MEAL, then you should probably plan to do it at WDW as there won't be a character breakfast onboard. If you are simply asking about available opportunities onboard to meet characters, then you'll have plenty and more besides -- princesses and lots of others. Watch the Navigator for times, or call the hotline number once onboard. Also note that characters make appearances in the Clubs with the kids as well (skip the autograph book for these) to read or dance or other activity.

I thought "Tea with..." (Alice, Princesses or whomever) is only on 7-night cruises as well. You can ask at Guest Services when you board if that is offered, and if so it requires a hard-ticket so get it then. I've also heard about another "tea party" special offer, but that is super-pricey and sounds similar to one offered at the Grand Floridian (includes a doll and such). I'm not sure if this is available on all cruises, though.

That said, if a meal at the castle has become tradition for your family, it may be hard to break that idea. The castle is a special experience, but agreed it is pricey so maybe you can convince DD to wait for the ship.

Enjoy your land and sea vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsalb View Post
This is not quite an answer to what you are asking, but we decided not to focus on meeting characters in the parks on our last trip, since we had limited park time. We decided it would be better to see them on the boat. What I mean is that we didn't head out with an autograph book and wait in line to see them. If it was convenient, we did meet and have a picture. ....
That has been our reasoning as well. Our time in the parks was limited, so if the character appeared on the ship, we didn't stop in the parks. You have to keep up with the schedule in the parks if you want to get pictures often. We have been lucky and walked along to discover characters just standing around in corners, such as Genie with Aladdin & Jasmine on our way to get in line for Magic Carpets, Mary Poppins being ignored next to the carousel, then the time we were walking past the tea cups and Alice walked between the kids, took their hands and led them onto a tea cup to ride with them.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Minnie Monellen
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Go for it!

We did the breakfast at Cinderella Castle with the Princesses in June 2009. Our reservation was for 8:00 a.m., before the Magic Kingdom opening that morning. First you have photos taken with Cinderella then you go upstairs for breakfast. You have a wonderful view of the Park from almost anywhere in the restaurant. Each princess comes to your table and spends several minutes talking with you. Your daughter would love it!
Minnie Monellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: