Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
angelaroseub
3rd time's a charm!

Limited Monorail? NOOOOOOOOO

Okay, so Disney has been very busy lately tightening up EVERYTHING. From the rapid refill program, cutting back Extra Magic Hours, The GAC card, and the new pool hour policies, things have changed a lot!

Then this morning I read this article-
http://www.doctordisney.com/2013/10/...mited-october/

SEVERELY LIMITED HOURS??? I booked my vacation WAY back in January and purposely paid an exorbitant amount of $$$ to stay at a monorail resort. My mom was seriously ill last year, has recovered but has some restrictions and needs a wheelchair. Here I thought I was doing something good by booking on the ol' reliable monorail to help make the trip easier for her. AND NOW THIS. Two weeks out and I have to worry about this. Yes they will increase bus service but I can stay at a variety of other resorts for much less $$$ and use a bus.

Can anyone speak to this? Has this happened to you? Does Disney do anything to alleviate this (discount or freebies or upgrades)? Do you think it will only take 2 weeks as they say? If so I might be in the clear but having 4 little kids who are stoked to stay at a hotel where the train drives right in and then have no train causes a little stress
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
siskaren
DIS Veteran

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than is warranted. First of all, it says that the monorail will be shut down between the hours of 11 am and 6 pm, which isn't when most people are traveling to and from the parks. Second, it says that additional boat and bus transportation will be provided, so I don't see why they should offer any discounts, freebies or upgrades.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Relax, it's just happening for a few days in october.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
angelaroseub
3rd time's a charm!

Whenever I have gone and anyone I have known that has gone with kids or an elderly family member likes to go back in the middle of the day to rest. Our party of 8 ranges in age from 6 months to 70. And, with what I paid, it is a big deal.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than is warranted. First of all, it says that the monorail will be shut down between the hours of 11 am and 6 pm, which isn't when most people are traveling to and from the parks. Second, it says that additional boat and bus transportation will be provided, so I don't see why they should offer any discounts, freebies or upgrades.
We'll agree to disagree. You pay more than other resorts for that monorail. If it doesn't work they kinda owe you some compensation.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaroseub View Post
Whenever I have gone and anyone I have known that has gone with kids or an elderly family member likes to go back in the middle of the day to rest. Our party of 8 ranges in age from 6 months to 70. And, with what I paid, it is a big deal.
I'm assuming from your ticker that you're staying at BLT or CR. It's an easy walk from MK to the CR. From DHS and AK you'd have to take a bus anyway. Epcot is the only one that might be more of a hassle, but that would involve 2 monorail rides anyway.

There's already a thread about this here.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaroseub View Post
Okay, so Disney has been very busy lately tightening up EVERYTHING. From the rapid refill program, cutting back Extra Magic Hours, The GAC card, and the new pool hour policies, things have changed a lot!

Then this morning I read this article-
http://www.doctordisney.com/2013/10/...mited-october/

SEVERELY LIMITED HOURS??? I booked my vacation WAY back in January and purposely paid an exorbitant amount of $$$ to stay at a monorail resort. My mom was seriously ill last year, has recovered but has some restrictions and needs a wheelchair. Here I thought I was doing something good by booking on the ol' reliable monorail to help make the trip easier for her. AND NOW THIS. Two weeks out and I have to worry about this. Yes they will increase bus service but I can stay at a variety of other resorts for much less $$$ and use a bus.

Can anyone speak to this? Has this happened to you? Does Disney do anything to alleviate this (discount or freebies or upgrades)? Do you think it will only take 2 weeks as they say? If so I might be in the clear but having 4 little kids who are stoked to stay at a hotel where the train drives right in and then have no train causes a little stress
Everyone at your resort and the other two monorail resorts, will be in the same situation. And each family will have their own concerns with the resort monorail being down for seven hours each day for up to two weeks.

You've listed your reasons for wanting/needing a monorail to go through your resort. Those are very important to you. However, the family in the room next to yours won't have the same issues. So why should you be compensated and them not? Everyone will have to make changes to their transportation situation. Everyone. Not just you.

Think of a solution for Disney to do that would not impact any family at the three monorail resorts. You aren't going to come up with one. You can get a solution that will help you but will impact another family in an adverse way.

Disney is not stranding anyone.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Are you for real? If I am spending big bucks to stay at a monorail resort is because of the monorail. The convenience and coolness factor of hopping on the monorail to take a break during the busiest/hottest part of the day is a major reason that a lot of families pay dearly to stay there. If I was staying at one of those resorts in October I'd be pissed. Especially since Disney does such a bad job of letting people know about these things in advance so that you can change your plans if it affects your vacation.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
Are you for real? If I am spending big bucks to stay at a monorail resort is because of the monorail. The convenience and coolness factor of hopping on the monorail to take a break during the busiest/hottest part of the day is a major reason that a lot of families pay dearly to stay there. If I was staying at one of those resorts in October I'd be pissed. Especially since Disney does such a bad job of letting people know about these things in advance so that you can change your plans if it affects your vacation.
Agree 100%. We have always wanted to stay at a monorail resort because of the....monorail!! We never have because we are perfectly happy at POR, and couldn't justify the difference just for a monorail. But if I saved up and finally spent the extra $$, I'd be livid if the one and only reason I paid almost double for was not available.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally agree with you. I think it's bad customer service to just say "Tough!" to customers paying a huge premium to stay on the monorail.

You know what I think they should give? A nice room discount on every night at every hotel on the monorail when this service interruption is scheduled. Because the rooms aren't worth the price if the monorail isn't running for such a large portion of the day. People understand that stuff happens, but WDW makes no effort to proactively compensate in any way, or even to make a goodwill gesture of some sort.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I'm for real. Read my previous post. If you're staying at a monorail resort, you'd have to take a bus to take a midday break from DHS and AK anyway. From MK, you can take a boat to the Poly or GF, or for Poly you can take the express monorail to the TTC (only the resort monorail is affected), and again, CR is an easy walk. Epcot is the only one I could see being a hassle, but since that takes 2 monorails, I would think it would be a hassle to take a midday break from there even if the resort monorail was shut down. And as far as letting people know in advance, it's my understanding that it's because of the construction at GF, and contruction schedules change - they might not have known the exact dates it would need to be shut down until the last minute.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
nugov2
DIS Veteran

I have to agree...not just you, but every guest should be compensated for their stay if the monorail isn't running. I actually think that is a long part of the day to be down. If you knew when you booked it would be one thing, but since you were not informed sorry WDW...you dropped the ball. That is listed as a perk of staying at those resorts. It would be like paying for concierge and then they tell you we will only have the amenities available for part of your trip the other days it is closed. It is a perk they advertise as one of the reason to stay there....if it is not available and you were not informed at the time of booking you should be compensated. If they needed to do work it should have been properly planned and the guest booking should have known so they could make a choice on if they still wanted to spend the money when a big perk would not be fully operational.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
If you knew when you booked it would be one thing, but since you were not informed sorry WDW...you dropped the ball.
The OP booked her trip in January. You honestly expect Disney to have known way back then that the monorail would have to be closed during the day in October?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I'm for real. Read my previous post. If you're staying at a monorail resort, you'd have to take a bus to take a midday break from DHS and AK anyway. From MK, you can take a boat to the Poly or GF, or for Poly you can take the express monorail to the TTC (only the resort monorail is affected), and again, CR is an easy walk. Epcot is the only one I could see being a hassle, but since that takes 2 monorails, I would think it would be a hassle to take a midday break from there even if the resort monorail was shut down. And as far as letting people know in advance, it's my understanding that it's because of the construction at GF, and contruction schedules change - they might not have known the exact dates it would need to be shut down until the last minute.
It is not about construction at GF. Think about it, if it was the express would be down as well. It is about the automation of the monorail system and installing the controls. That has to be during the day and they are choosing the least busy time. The express will go down next followed by the Epcot line.

They do not owe anyone compensation but they do owe alternate transportation and that they have done. For the majority of people, they will still get their monorail rides since it is open during the busiest hours so many won't even notice. And, try the alternates like the resort launch. It's actually a very nice way to go back and forth and might surprise you about what a great perk it is.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
angelaroseub
3rd time's a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
I have to agree...not just you, but every guest should be compensated for their stay if the monorail isn't running. I actually think that is a long part of the day to be down. If you knew when you booked it would be one thing, but since you were not informed sorry WDW...you dropped the ball. That is listed as a perk of staying at those resorts. It would be like paying for concierge and then they tell you we will only have the amenities available for part of your trip the other days it is closed. It is a perk they advertise as one of the reason to stay there....if it is not available and you were not informed at the time of booking you should be compensated. If they needed to do work it should have been properly planned and the guest booking should have known so they could make a choice on if they still wanted to spend the money when a big perk would not be fully operational.
Thank you! I agree, Disney can afford to compensate. If I were at the Poly or GF I'd have the boat option. Now it's walk or bus only from the Contemporary. Every family has their own story. What's similar? The large amount of money they stayed for a "monorail" hotel. It's a perk and a big treat that is rare for most. Fingers crossed it won't take the entire 2 weeks.

Tags
contemporary, monorail, october

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: