Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
patty57
DIS Veteran

For us, it's about the location primarily. We want to stay in the Epcot area because we walk in and out of Epcot all the time. We made a price concession two trips ago and stayed at the Swan. Loved it and stayed at the Dolphin last May. Our next trip, I will absolutely consider Swan/Dolphin again, or maybe rent DVC points.
Another consideration for many is that the extra money for a deluxe isn't a hardship, so why not do it?
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Buahahaha love when people ask this question, usually brings out a heated debate. Although, to be fair there haven't been too many super snobby posts so far ... its been a pretty reasonable thread.

Generally we could never justify the cost of a Deluxe resort, we have visited, ate at, crept the pictures, etc .... and while some of them are beautiful, we find the mods beautiful as well. Some Mods more so then Dlx. We too couldn't care less about having to ride a bus 10-15 mins to get to the park, when we consider the trade off in money, it just isn't worth it to be able to walk to the park, or take the monorail (if its working) and the boats are terribly slow, so actually worse then the bus in that sense. I think of it as making like $100 per bus ride. I would ride the bus all day if I was getting paid $100 every time.

Anyway, we ARE staying at Deluxe this time, but we are renting points, so saving about 65% off. It will be interesting. We don't have anything against people who like deluxe, we just don't think its worth the money it costs. So this is a nice alternative, we get to stay there, see if we like it, but aren't paying the price which we think isn't worth it.

I do appreciate the general tone of people here, noting that the things people like about deluxes are preferences, and maybe some people are willing to pay for them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
DisneyFan2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts! I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations! We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat. So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why???? Some of the arguments I've heard are.... Indoor corridors -- does that really matter? Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car. Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely! Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation. Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting! I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go. Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night! So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost? I'm honestly curious about this...
I can understand your point. I've stayed at mods before, but wanted to try a deluxe for my next trip mainly because of the theming but also the proximity to the parks and perks like onsite restaurants. I don't have kids though so my budget is more flexible.

July 1997- Dixie Landings
November 2012- Port Orleans-French Quarter
November 2013- Coronado Springs
September 2014- Port Orleans-French Quarter
DisneyFan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
For us, it's about the location primarily. We want to stay in the Epcot area because we walk in and out of Epcot all the time. We made a price concession two trips ago and stayed at the Swan. Loved it and stayed at the Dolphin last May. Our next trip, I will absolutely consider Swan/Dolphin again, or maybe rent DVC points.
Another consideration for many is that the extra money for a deluxe isn't a hardship, so why not do it?
The only downsides of Swan/Dolphin is the non-DDP restaurants and the absence of Magical Express. But you get a Deluxe for a little bit more than the cost of a moderate.

Seems like a great "in between".
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
kapoof
DIS Veteran

We have always stayed deluxe because I am willing to pay the price for a vacation that I want. Now does that mean the mods and values are bad? No it just isn't for us. We stopped one time at pop for a drop off on the way to akl and I didn't care for the concrete mall feel. I enjoy a pretty lobby to walk into, I enjoy better pools with slides, I enjoy the theming, I enjoy the food options, I enjoy the closeness to the parks. Some use their resorts for sleeping we use ours for a lot so deluxe just works for us.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

For me, it's the atmosphere of a Deluxe. I mean, I really like Fort Wilderness, as well, but that's not a typical moderate. Deluxes tend (except for the EPCOT resorts, where food is scarcer) to have accessible, delicious restaurants three meals a day, the resorts are gorgeous and not garish like the Value resorts are, and there is generally a higher level of Cast Member service.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
We have always stayed deluxe because I am willing to pay the price for a vacation that I want. Now does that mean the mods and values are bad? No it just isn't for us. We stopped one time at pop for a drop off on the way to akl and I didn't care for the concrete mall feel. I enjoy a pretty lobby to walk into, I enjoy better pools with slides, I enjoy the theming, I enjoy the food options, I enjoy the closeness to the parks. Some use their resorts for sleeping we use ours for a lot so deluxe just works for us.
Just to throw a kink into that (because as I've stated earlier in the thread, I think deluxes are worth it)....I can't book CR for that same reason. Definite Concrete mall feel....and without any giant size statues to offset that....

The convenience of CR is huge but I just don't care for the look of it, at all.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
The only downsides of Swan/Dolphin is the non-DDP restaurants and the absence of Magical Express. But you get a Deluxe for a little bit more than the cost of a moderate.

Seems like a great "in between".
I do miss DME because the movie gets me revved up for our arrival. We've taken a town car on the Swan/Dolphin trips, so we get to the resort much faster. Even though we pay OOP for that, we still save a boatload of money over the WDW Epcot resorts. We don't do the DDP, so that hasn't been a negative for us.
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
cah5525
Mouseketeer

I love POR but this time, for the same price as POR's rack rate...im renting points. Sure, i could play that wait and see game - hoping for a discount to come out but, Im so tired of that game. It just may be deluxe from now on for us!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

If it's all about money-why not stay off site for $49-they have bus shuttles as well.

I'm sure there are folks who "can't for the life of them" understand why you stay on property at Values, and then upgraded even further to Mods besides.

We split stays with BLT and BC/BCV/BWI/BWV-that way we can walk to 3 parks and know exactly when to leave our room.

If we have an ADR at France, we can leave our room 10 minutes before. We would leave our room from a bus resort about an hour before a France ADR.

Same applies to a park opening or a FP return-we have way more time available for sleeping, swimming, dining, shopping etc during our stays.

Going back to the resort for a break is much easier as well. I would estimate we save over 20 hours a week doing what we want, instead of waiting and riding buses.

When Illuminations is over-we can be in our room before we would be to the EPCOT bus stop, and no stampede involved. After Wishes, we will be at BLT before we could get on a bus.

Times Square charges more, Ski slopes charge more and so do Beach resorts.

Now throw in much better beds, decor, pools, dining and room service on top of it.

For us the immersion is just better as well.

Last edited by jade1; 10-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.
jade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Just to throw a kink into that (because as I've stated earlier in the thread, I think deluxes are worth it)....I can't book CR for that same reason. Definite Concrete mall feel....and without any giant size statues to offset that....

The convenience of CR is huge but I just don't care for the look of it, at all.
Ha! True it looks like a toaster! But I would pay for a toaster then stay at pop. But I would stay at pop any day over off site.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Why Spend $$$ on a Deluxe?
To put it bluntly, because I can. What one family can afford may be out of the question for another. What one family enjoys as far as resort amenities may be superfluous for another. We've stayed at all resort levels. Will never stay at another value resort. Not because they are awful, but because they aren't what we want in a vacation stay. We've stayed at all of the mods at one time or another and have really enjoyed most of them. Price point is excellent, amenities are adequate, and esthetics are lovely, for the most part.

But we also enjoy staying at deluxes. I refuse to pay rack rate, though. For us, the rack rate is just too inflated. But since we never travel during peak periods, discounts have never been difficult to find. The OP is quick to dismiss many of the pluses of the deluxes; however when added together they are important aspects of a great vacation for many people. To the previously mentioned 'extras' I would add the benefit of great dining within the resort. Knowing that I don't have to venture outside my resort to have a meal at (for example) Boma, Jiko, or Sanaa (or GFC, Citricos, and Narcoossee's) is a lovely bonus.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm having a hard time with the cost of deluxes too. I've always wanted to try each resort with the exception of Ft. Wilderness and now I'm getting down to only the Deluxes and Ft. Wilderness.

I have to say I love the sizes of of the deluxe rooms and the amenties at the Deluxes are great. I also really like the locations of the Deluxe resorts.
But that price really throws me for a loop.

And now that I've said that - I booked 2 nights at the Beach Club next April since I'm going to the Flower and Garden Festival because I've never stayed there before and I can walk into Epcot.
I am also planning on nice breaks those 2 days so I can enjoy the great pool, the nice big room and the Boardwalk Area without having to drive there.

So those are my reasons for Deluxe.
I'm just glad there are many different choices. I've stayed value a few times when I've had to, stayed moderate tons of times and stayed Deluxe quite a few times too.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #29
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
This is us. I haven't stayed a Swan and Dolphin, but I would pick it over a monorail resort if I couldn't get a discount at one of the Disney Epcot resorts. I love being in the Epcot area.

I also need a gym and I need restaurant options that within walking distance. I don't want to bus all over the place to get to dinner or take a cab everywhere. We always rent a car, but I we like to have a few adult beverages with dinner so driving is out of the question.

I honestly would not go to Disney if I couldn't book an Epcot resort.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

I'm with the OP. We tend to take longer, less frequent trips (10 days) since getting there involves a cross-country flight for us. Ten nights at $500 would total over six months of mortgage payments for us. I just can't justify spending that much on a hotel.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: