Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
cnp3
Earning My Ears

October 5 Wonder Redirect?

So, according to the National Hurricane Center there's a 70% chance of this thing becoming a tropical depression/storm over the Cozumel/Cayman area in the next 48 hours.

This is my first post, so I can't post a link or anything, but if you go to the NHC website you'll see it....

So does anyone know, regarding October 5 out of Galveston to Cayman/Cozumel/Jamaica... What happens if it doesn't dissapate? Does it get re-directed to the eastern Caribbean? Delayed? Cancelled?
cnp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

DCL will do whatever possible to steer around/away from the storm. It's too early at this point to say specifically. That could just mean an extra day at sea, possibly a total itinerary change. You may or may not miss some ports of call.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
DCL will do whatever possible to steer around/away from the storm.
Enjoy your cruise!
Except during Hurricane Sandy
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Except during Hurricane Sandy
I'm not going to get into debate on that issue, other than to restate DCL will do whatever possible to avoid the storm based on the information available to the bridge at the time. They do not intentionally head into the eye of a storm. And it is too soon to know how a storm might impact a cruise departing this Saturday.

OP, cancellation would be a last resort. Delay is possible depending on where the storm lies with relation to where the ship is docked at the time. Either delayed start if they can't get out of Galveston safely or delay at a port stop if that's what's safest. Again, those are the least likely scenarios. Steering away from the storm is the most likely.

Last edited by lanejudy; 10-02-2013 at 01:40 PM.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
mraviator
Earning My Ears

I'm on the same Oct 5 cruise.

Getting out of Galveston won't be the issue as the system is forecasted to be going onshore east of New Orleans Saturday morning. But getting to Galveston might be interesting.

I suspect they will go south of it and hook around to the north behind it. But not sure if that can be done in time given the increased distance required for an on-time Galveston departure. I guess we'll know more in 48 hours....

Update:
Did some calculations. Normal sailing distance Nassau-Galveston is about 1000 NM. With the storm in the way, if they hook to the south around and behind it, it could increase to 1300 NM. Given the 21.5 knot cruise speed, that distance could be covered in 60 hours. Which is about the exact time they have allotted to cruise from Nassau to Galveston. Good news is that they can max out at 24 knots, if needed, but probably not for the full cruise.

Anyway, an on-time arrival might be cutting it close, but I suspect (yeah, hope), that things will go forward as planned. We might be a bit late leaving, but better than not leaving at all!

Last edited by mraviator; 10-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
mraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You probably won't know about any changes until the day before, or even after you board the ship.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
SZ2016
Mouseketeer

Just cruised on the Wonder coming back from the Bahamas we ran into TS Karen, our course was changed so we went through the weaker southwest portion as opposed to our initial track which would of put us right in the center. We still felt the rocking on for about 24 hours the worst being late at night when everyone was asleep anyhow. The captain's goal is to keep the guests, crew, and ship safe and he will change course as necessary. No need to worry!
SZ2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: