Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Kandjandj
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 53

Deceiding between 2014 EBPC or WBTA

Yes, I realize this really is a good problem to gave and they are both great trips. I just can't make up my mind. This trip will be to celebrate my husband and I' 15 year anniversary. We will be traveling with our 4 year old daughter. We were originally going to do Alaska but I realized next year will be our last year to try a longer cruise without worrying about school. I really LOVE the itinerary of the TA. But there is the problem of getting to Barcelona. And the expense of getting to Barcelona. The PC leaves and returns from the US so flights won't be a problem. Much more simpler to get there and back. And none of us have ever been to CA.
My DH is self employed so we can't spend a lot of time pre or post cruise any of the ports. This will also be our four year olds first flights so I don't know if it is a good idea to start out with an international with lots of plane and time zone changes.
Right now, the PC is higher but I would be willing to wait until closer to sail time and get a GT rate.
Any thoughts to help would be appreciated.
Kandjandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

I always choose westbound because you get more total hours on the ship. :D

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
ggfred32
Mouseketeer
 
ggfred32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90

We are booked on the EBPC and for what it is worth, it appears as though it is filling up rather quickly. Depending on the day, the verandahs have been showing as sold out. So, seeming as though this one is extra popular for some reason, you may want to decide pretty quickly.
ggfred32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there before it got deleted.
 
txSleepingBeauty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,836

Having done both, I'd do the WBPC again. The transatlantic was fun, but it was rough losing all those hours, plus, spending time in Europe AFTER the cruise wasn't very relaxing. It's also far cheaper to fly from California than Europe, leaving you more money to spend on the trip.
__________________
aka Kari
******************************
Spring 2004 College program student- SplashDown Photos
txSleepingBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by txSleepingBeauty View Post
Having done both, I'd do the WBPC again. The transatlantic was fun, but it was rough losing all those hours, plus, spending time in Europe AFTER the cruise wasn't very relaxing.
The OP is asking about the exact opposite direction cruises than what you are talking about. So they would lose hours on the EBPC and would fly to Europe first before cruising on the WBTA.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,603

I didn't realize you lose hours sailing east. I guess it's the same as when flying east.

I always thought it would be better to sail an eastbound anything if it's one way. This way the flight is westbound which for some reason, I guess due to gaining hours, you don't really feel jetlagged so much. Flying east isn't much fun but worth it when you get there.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I didn't realize you lose hours sailing east.
Well, it has nothing to do with how you're going east, just the fact that you're moving through time zones. You'd lose hours even if you were walking.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,327

We just got off the EBPC and I did the WBTA a couple years ago, when my youngest son was 4 yo. The flight to Europe, for me at least, was pretty rough, but my husband wasn't with me and I had 2 kids and my mom. If it had been just myself and my husband and one child I think it would have been much easier - 2 people to handle luggage and keep the child content. Plus, you get it out of the way, and then it is all smooth sailing after that.

I loved both cruises, it was definitely easier doing the PC because of the domestic flights, and ultimately cheaper with airfare BUT - I would say I liked the TA better, mainly because the ports were more exotic and unique, and spending a day in Barcelona was pretty magical. Plus, PP is correct you gain back all those hours that you lose on the way over, so you are constantly getting an extra hour to sleep in, etc.

My youngest, now 6, didn't really appreciate or "get" the PC experience - he spent the day in the kids club, but for a couple hours in the pool (it was VERY HOT). He loved the cruise, but for no reasons relating to any ports, etc. He actually didn't want to get off the ship, and complained because he would have rather have stayed in the kids clubs!

Whichever you choose, you will be happy - the long cruises are by far, the BEST, IMHO.
GatorMomInNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
We just got off the EBPC and I did the WBTA a couple years ago, when my youngest son was 4 yo. The flight to Europe, for me at least, was pretty rough, but my husband wasn't with me and I had 2 kids and my mom. If it had been just myself and my husband and one child I think it would have been much easier - 2 people to handle luggage and keep the child content. Plus, you get it out of the way, and then it is all smooth sailing after that.

I loved both cruises, it was definitely easier doing the PC because of the domestic flights, and ultimately cheaper with airfare BUT - I would say I liked the TA better, mainly because the ports were more exotic and unique, and spending a day in Barcelona was pretty magical. Plus, PP is correct you gain back all those hours that you lose on the way over, so you are constantly getting an extra hour to sleep in, etc.

My youngest, now 6, didn't really appreciate or "get" the PC experience - he spent the day in the kids club, but for a couple hours in the pool (it was VERY HOT). He loved the cruise, but for no reasons relating to any ports, etc. He actually didn't want to get off the ship, and complained because he would have rather have stayed in the kids clubs!

Whichever you choose, you will be happy - the long cruises are by far, the BEST, IMHO.
Oh yeah, added bonus: I loved the Wonder, but it would be great to see the Magic post-drydock, which you would on the TA.
GatorMomInNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Well, it has nothing to do with how you're going east, just the fact that you're moving through time zones. You'd lose hours even if you were walking.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Yes, that's true. I just think the hard part of jetlag is you go crashing through time zones. I thought sailing would be slower and not so annoying but if you lose an hour every day as you cross the Atlantic, you probably feel it. More time on the ship is nice. We have often sailed when DST ends so it's nice to 'fall back' while on the ship. Much better than having to spring forward.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
TeamH5
Mouseketeer
 
TeamH5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 372

I've flown East bound across the Atlantic twice now with 3 toddlers. First time they were 4 and 5, second time 5 and 6. Depending on how you time your flight, they should be able to sleep on the flight as well as go straight back to sleep when you land. We left both times around midnight US time (from DC) and I just kept them up the whole time before the flight. They got on the plane and zonked out for the entire 8-9 hours across the Ocean. We'd generall have a 2-4 hour layover in Germany in which they stayed awake. Sometimes they'd stay awake for the next leg which was usally about 5 hours. We'd land at our destination around 9-10 p.m. the following night and the first time they stayed up till about midnite but I had no problems with them sleeping and getting up around 8 a.m. The second time with them all being a year older we had a little harder time (they didn't want to go to sleep straight away at all) but still I just set the alarm and got them up at 9 a.m. and went on about the day making sure to keep them up.

Then of course you'd get all those hours back on the cruise on the way back across the Atlantic... IJS I don't think with a 4 yr old it'd be as hard as you think it will be.
__________________
DH ME DD-6 DD-6 DS-5 & #4 on the way sometime late April 2014

Disney newbies:
Lived the Dream January 2012
WDW AoA August 2013
Waitin for the Magic WBTA Sept 2014
TeamH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
Lita
Mouseketeer
 
Lita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamH5 View Post
I've flown East bound across the Atlantic twice now with 3 toddlers. First time they were 4 and 5, second time 5 and 6. Depending on how you time your flight, they should be able to sleep on the flight as well as go straight back to sleep when you land. We left both times around midnight US time (from DC) and I just kept them up the whole time before the flight. They got on the plane and zonked out for the entire 8-9 hours across the Ocean. We'd generall have a 2-4 hour layover in Germany in which they stayed awake. Sometimes they'd stay awake for the next leg which was usally about 5 hours. We'd land at our destination around 9-10 p.m. the following night and the first time they stayed up till about midnite but I had no problems with them sleeping and getting up around 8 a.m. The second time with them all being a year older we had a little harder time (they didn't want to go to sleep straight away at all) but still I just set the alarm and got them up at 9 a.m. and went on about the day making sure to keep them up. Then of course you'd get all those hours back on the cruise on the way back across the Atlantic... IJS I don't think with a 4 yr old it'd be as hard as you think it will be.
This has been my experience as well. We flew from Atlanta to England to visit family last year. My DDs were 3 and 5 at the time. Our flight left close to their bedtime. They were excited for a few hours and then fell asleep. I think the adults had a harder time with the jet lag than the children.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________



DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.