Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #61
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I can't believe the room at the Contemporary was falling apart! And that's the room they showed to a group of TA... yuck!
We LOVE BLT, though, I hope they keep up the room maintenance a little better over there.
Wave has an AMAZING breakfast. Highly recommend.
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #62
RatherBeInAK
Mouseketeer

How awesome to get a free trip! I think it would be fun to tour the different hotels and peek inside the rooms. Were you able to pay attention at all during the meetings knowing what was waiting for you outside?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #63
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I can't believe the room at the Contemporary was falling apart! And that's the room they showed to a group of TA... yuck!
We LOVE BLT, though, I hope they keep up the room maintenance a little better over there.
Wave has an AMAZING breakfast. Highly recommend.
I think they were embarrassed that room was shown. Our guide called the front desk right away and had someone sent up to repair it. I was not impressed! For the money they charge it doesn't seem worth it.

I wouldn't mind staying at BLT!

I'll have to try Wave one of these days. There are so many restaurants to choose from it's impossible to get to them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeInAK View Post
How awesome to get a free trip! I think it would be fun to tour the different hotels and peek inside the rooms. Were you able to pay attention at all during the meetings knowing what was waiting for you outside?
I loved touring the resorts but the seminars...they had my attention at first and then I'd start zoning. A lot of it was information I already knew. If the seminars would have been shorter it would have been fine but they were on average about 3 hours. Also they were always right in the middle of the day so toward the end we'd all be ready for lunch!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #64
jenny105
DIS Veteran

AoA - Cars

We were up right and early again on Wednesday morning. We headed over to the GF Convention Center for breakfast at 7:30 followed by a seminar 8:10-11:30. There werenít too many interesting things about the seminar other than the fact that they passed Magic Bands around for us to look at. Is it just me or are those things flimsy to anyone else? I wish we had a chance to use them so we could give feedback to our clients but since they were only in the testing phase they didnít want us to have a negative experience. Of course we all had a ton of questions about them but Rita kept urging us to move on. I swear she was annoyed we stayed on the topic for as long as we did. Oh well. Iíll have to rely on the DIS for feedback since I wonít be using them myself until fall of next year.

After the seminar it was time for more site inspections. First stop, Art of Animation!

Yes that is John Lasseterís autograph. I wouldnít have known it was there if Tommy didn't point it out.

I visited this resort myself last year but all I could see was the exterior. I was very excited we were going to be able to see some of the rooms. But first thing first Ė we stopped for lunch at Landscape of Flavors. I was very impressed with their selection. They offer a lot more than the usual value food court selection. CMs refer to AoA as a ďvalue plusĒ resort because of the food court, pool, and overall the theming just goes one step further. Iíd love to stay here one day.

My lunch tandoori shrimp with basati rice & bread. And a chocolate chip croissant for dessert!

It was boiling hot out this day and all I wanted to do was jump in that pool!

Has anyone stayed here? Can you really hear the Nemo characters while youíre under water?

Love the bar!

First stop Ė Cars section.

Cars Suite. When AoA was first announced and I saw the artwork for the rooms I thought they were hideous. After seeing it in person I changed my mind. Theyíre themed very well and so cute! When I showed Kris the pictures of this room he loved it! Heís a mechanic so it suits him.

Table bed up.

Table bed down.

Kitchenette.

Living area.

I love the floor lamp!

The bedroom

I can see Pop Century from here!

Master bathroom.

Second bathroom.

Close up of the coffee table.

Back outside. I didnít realize I got both the Cars & Nemo section in this shot. Notice the seagulls.

After Cars we headed over to Lion King and the Little Mermaid section. Stay tuned!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #65
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why the guide would urge you to move on if you had a lot of questions about the MB?? Don't they want TAs to be educated? Silly.
I LOVE that couch in the Cars suite! Our house is kind of vintage styled and that would fit in perfectly!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #66
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #67
Becca0711
Earning My Ears

Having recently stayed at AofA AND being part of the MB test, I'll tell you my opinion. First, we LOVED the resort--we stayed in a CARS suite and other than using the Big Blue Pool, we never even checked out the other areas at all. I wish we had, honestly. And yes, you can hear music when you're under the water in the pool!

The MB were awesome. AWESOME! I wonder if they gave you the prototypes to hold, because they were far from flimsy, IMO. I am a bit small-wristed and I could have easily removed the gray part of the band & worn just the pink part--that's what we had to do with our kids' bands! Our oldest did lose his band at the pool but it was returned before he even knew it was missing. I have no idea how it fell off! That's the only issue we had all week.

I'm loving the perspective of your TR! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Becca0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #68
Becca0711
Earning My Ears

p.s. The only thing that would keep us from staying at AofA next time is just how far away it is to get almost anywhere. We loved the theming & with a large family (my hubs, four kids & I) we don't have a lot of choice in resorts--our kids are too little to stay in a room alone. But it was a wonderful resort!
Becca0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Pop Century is our favorite value, so I have a feeling we would love AOA!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #70
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I don't understand why the guide would urge you to move on if you had a lot of questions about the MB?? Don't they want TAs to be educated? Silly.
I LOVE that couch in the Cars suite! Our house is kind of vintage styled and that would fit in perfectly!
She was older so I think part of it was that she wasn't comfortable with the technology so she simply chose not to discuss it. That was the one thing everybody had questions about and it was glossed over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca0711 View Post
Having recently stayed at AofA AND being part of the MB test, I'll tell you my opinion. First, we LOVED the resort--we stayed in a CARS suite and other than using the Big Blue Pool, we never even checked out the other areas at all. I wish we had, honestly. And yes, you can hear music when you're under the water in the pool!

The MB were awesome. AWESOME! I wonder if they gave you the prototypes to hold, because they were far from flimsy, IMO. I am a bit small-wristed and I could have easily removed the gray part of the band & worn just the pink part--that's what we had to do with our kids' bands! Our oldest did lose his band at the pool but it was returned before he even knew it was missing. I have no idea how it fell off! That's the only issue we had all week.

I'm loving the perspective of your TR! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca0711 View Post
p.s. The only thing that would keep us from staying at AofA next time is just how far away it is to get almost anywhere. We loved the theming & with a large family (my hubs, four kids & I) we don't have a lot of choice in resorts--our kids are too little to stay in a room alone. But it was a wonderful resort!
Thanks for your feedback about both the resort and the MBs. They gave us Tommy's MBs so I don't think they were the prototype. To me they just looked and felt flimsy but again I have no real opinion because I haven't used them. I feel like they could just fall off at any given moment, like I'd look at my wrist and be like 'oh crap!' lol. It's good to hear that you didn't feel that way.

I thought AoA was adorable. I wouldn't mind staying there but I'm not sure I'd splurge for a suite for just to the two of us & the LM rooms are hard to get sometimes. And we all know how I feel about Ariel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Pop Century is our favorite value, so I have a feeling we would love AOA!
You probably would! It's Pop one step further.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #71
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

you can hear music for sure under the water, a few times between songs i heard some talking but could not make out what character it was suppose to be...and i can only hold my breath for so long so didnt get to hear as much as my lungs would let me.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #72
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
you can hear music for sure under the water, a few times between songs i heard some talking but could not make out what character it was suppose to be...and i can only hold my breath for so long so didnt get to hear as much as my lungs would let me.
C'mon Dan, hold your breath longer next time. These are important questions that need to be answered.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #73
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Lion King & Little Mermaid

Continuing our tour of AoA we headed over to the Lion King section next. The Lion King is one of my favorite movies so I was picture happy! I remember seeing it in the theater three times when it was released and I had the soundtrack, Lion King ornaments, stuffed animals, and remember the old Disney Adventures magazine? There was one devoted to Lion King and I had that too! Oddly enough Iíve never seen the Lion King on Broadway. Iíve seen Newsies and Mary Poppins on Broadway so I donít know why Iíve never seen Lion King. Iíll have to fix that sooner rather than later.

Anyway, off we go to see the Lion King suite!

Asante sana squash banana!

The Lion King suite. This is the table top bed but I donít think I have a picture of it pulled down.

Second bathroom

Master bedroom.

Is it weird that my favorite part of the suite was the master bath?

Table in the living room

Cute carpeting in the hallway!

I wish weíd been able to see a Nemo suite but no luck or time. We headed over to the Little Mermaid section next. I really wish theyíd picked another movie to theme the standard rooms after. We all know how I feel about Ariel. I do love Sebastian and Under the Sea but she just bugs me! I donít think I could spend an entire week in a room devoted entirely to her lol. Anyway these rooms were built in the buildings that were supposed to be the next phase of Pop Century Ė the Legendary Years. So therefore they are exact copies of the Pop rooms and have exterior hallways instead of interior like the rest of the AoA resort.

I do like that the sink resembles sand.

Artwork in the room.

And that brings our tour of AoA to a close. Time to head back to the bus and explore Riverside next!

I really have to get moving on this TR if I want to have it finished by the time we leave for vacation. We set sail two weeks from Sunday on NCLís newest ship, the Breakaway! There is a little bit of Disney mixed in since we will be headed to Epcot when we dock in Port Canaveral. Food and Wine festival, yum! Is anyone interested in a mini-TR of the cruise? Not sure since it isnít Disney related but Iíll post if thereís interest.

See you next time!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #74
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

i think you should post about the epcot and food and wine section of it.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #75
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

I feel like their are parts of the Contemporary that are impressive (monorail, restaurants) but I've never been thrilled with the rooms. I would take BLT in a heart beat though! I love those rooms and I love the pop art MK icons everywhere. Magical! I also think if I wanted a monorail resort, I'd book the others first. I wouldn't ever need it to be IN my resort, though I do love seeing it when I'm visiting the Contemporary.

The GF is gorgeous. I'm not always the biggest fan of the rooms...too much grandma floral in my opinion. But I love the views, the atmosphere, the feel, the exterior, everything else. It's so gorgeous! I love the elegance you just feel enveloped in.

I am just so excited for New Fantasyland! I always loved The Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast! (Your opinion of Ariel cracks me up...but I feel like when you think about it...a lot of them are either bratty or sickeningly sweet.) Anywho...I remember reading a picture book of the real, non-Disney LM when I was in 3rd grade and it was pretty traumatizing. I still can't figure out when it was doing in a 3rd grade classroom!

I personally didn't think the MagicBands seemed flimsy. That's too bad you guys couldn't test them out though! I'm so excited to test them, so I'll give you some good feedback! There's already a lot I don't think about them and a few things I do. We shall see how I feel after actually using them.

AoA is just mind-blowing! I would LOVE to stay there one day. We just were going for cheaper though, so no family suite, and went with Pop because I didn't want to stay in a LM room...and I even like her more than you do! I do like a lot of that area of the resort though! I'll have to be sure to find that Eric statue! Anywho...back to the rest of AoA, the exterior and pools and all that jazz look AMAZING! I will definitely be stopping over there to take a look and try out Landscapes of Flavor!

Goodness...the Lion King! Such a great, timeless movie. I love it so much. I'm SO excited for that part. I was obsessed as well. We watched it a bunch, had ornaments, stuffed animals, an entire collection of trading cards, a cat named Simba, I was in the play, the whole sha-bang! I love the tile in the master bath as well. B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Can't wait for more! And I would love a full TR of your cruise!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

princess_momma is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: