Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Oops! A bunch of those were WDW ones. ITTBAB and Muppets are shows at DL and not everybody can manage them the same way that we do and currently need to use alternate waiting areas though so it is still relevant to DL but I definitely mentioned WDW shows. I'll be watching for how both parks handle these types of waiting areas.
I can help out a bit with the Muppets question.

We've seen Muppets no fewer than 10 times over the last 4 trips and have never been in the waiting area with more than maybe 25 other guests. It might be that we have not hit a super busy time but we've been at the end of August, middle of March, end of April and middle of September and the show has never been busy.

There has always been plenty of open space in the waiting area for people to wait, at least in our experiences. This is our 8 year old's favourite show so we go back often!

Never been to ITTBAB, so no help there, sorry!

Aug 1999 Honeymoon DLH, Aug 2011 DLH, Mar 2012 PVI
Apr 2013 DI&S, Sept 2013 Castle Inn, Mar 2014 DI&S
Aug 2014 PVI, Feb 2015 GCH
Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

DL really does have a lot less of these than WDW, doesn't it? I hadn't even noticed. We had pretty good timing with both Muppets, ITTBAB, and Turtle Talk (lots more than 25 people at Muppets but still plenty of room to stand back) where we had plenty of room so we didn't use our GAC. The only other place I can think of at DL that have this kind of things is Captain EO andI can't imagine this every filling up enough where you can't stand back. Hmmmm.... I guess touring plans really can take care of this at DL.

To quote Emily Litella (Gilda Radner).... never mind.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I don't know how this DAS system will work, but I will abide by whatever I have to. I want to see Mickey & friends!

Can you imagine being the person behind the desk on Day 1 of DAS - trying to remember all of the changes? Worse yet - pity the poor individual writing and amending all of the changes!

Good luck to all of us as we use DAS for the first time. My first will be in December - 2 days after Christmas! Let's make a pact with each other that no DIS member will raise their voice in anger to a CM while trying the new system. Put on the happy face, even if upset. We can do it!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto
I don't know how this DAS system will work, but I will abide by whatever I have to. I want to see Mickey & friends!

Can you imagine being the person behind the desk on Day 1 of DAS - trying to remember all of the changes? Worse yet - pity the poor individual writing and amending all of the changes!

Good luck to all of us as we use DAS for the first time. My first will be in December - 2 days after Christmas! Let's make a pact with each other that no DIS member will raise their voice in anger to a CM while trying the new system. Put on the happy face, even if upset. We can do it!
The only way I will be upset is I'd the new system caused me to routinely have to wait longer than everyone else. This is supposed to help prevent that, but I can see how it could happen.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

We arrive in DW on the day this rolls out. We are making a quick long weekend trip to do MNSSHP.

I am nervous about all the changes but I am thankful that we will get to test this new system before our big family and friends trip in Nov.

Our needs for this trip do not include a problem with waiting in lines or crowded areas. Our needs revolve more around visual problems, poor low light vision, and problems navigating steps. Do we get a DAS for these or do we have to find a CM to talk to before we enter a line and explain everything to them?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

We arrive at DL on 10/7 and then I'll have to switch to use the DAS system on that first day on 10/9. I hope it goes smoothly.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
smidgy
dimples

I had specific stamps on my GAC. How will they handle those?
There will no longer be any stamps; guests with disabilities will either get a DAS or not
Attraction based procedures and accommodations will be set up to handle guests who previously used stamps
The stamps were problematic in several ways
- the stamps were very general; for example guests with visual disabilities might get: Allow Guest to sit in front row
I guess I don't understand how this would be "problematic"

this guest has a very low area of vision. they need to sit up close to see much of anything. they would like to enjoy the show. they know they will not see as mucj as the rest of the people, but would like to see as much as they can.. what is the problem?

we will be touring dlr and DCA for the 1st (and probalby the last) tme next week.. wouldn't you know it? oct 9 falls in the middle of our trip.
no.. we are NOT famiiar with the GAC,we only started to tryi it. the eye disease is degenerative, so only now becoming a major issue. so the 1st part of the trip.. GAC which is new to us, the 2nd half DAS, which I guess, has decided to ignorre stamps for the visually impaired?
sigh.......
Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #23
smidgy
dimples

as far as navigating the dark, convoluted lines. the DAS would work for us. the problem for us is going back and forth in the dark, bumping into the posts, people walking on our heels cause we are too slow, etc.
now if only Disey would recognize LOW vision (not totally blind). that some people can still see, but not as far..when it concerns shows like illuminations, WOC, fantasmic etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #24
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I had specific stamps on my GAC. How will they handle those?
There will no longer be any stamps; guests with disabilities will either get a DAS or not
Attraction based procedures and accommodations will be set up to handle guests who previously used stamps
The stamps were problematic in several ways
- the stamps were very general; for example guests with visual disabilities might get: Allow Guest to sit in front row
I guess I don't understand how this would be "problematic"

this guest has a very low area of vision. they need to sit up close to see much of anything. they would like to enjoy the show. they know they will not see as mucj as the rest of the people, but would like to see as much as they can.. what is the problem?

we will be touring dlr and DCA for the 1st (and probalby the last) tme next week.. wouldn't you know it? oct 9 falls in the middle of our trip.
no.. we are NOT famiiar with the GAC,we only started to tryi it. the eye disease is degenerative, so only now becoming a major issue. so the 1st part of the trip.. GAC which is new to us, the 2nd half DAS, which I guess, has decided to ignorre stamps for the visually impaired?
sigh.......
The reason it was often problematic, and I know of two friends who personally had this problem, is that there are often many more things people with vision issues could need. For example, my friend had problems in dark queues, or going from light to dark quickly. But the only stamp they had for all "vision issues" was to let a guest sit in the front row of a theatre. This stamp did nothing about queues, attractions, nothing. And when she went to Guest Relations, it took her explaining a few times before they understood her issues with queues and light and everything... I think that is what Sue meant with "problematic" - not that the person with a vision issue would not need a front row, but that the person may need more than that, but the stamp did nothing for it.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
The reason it was often problematic, and I know of two friends who personally had this problem, is that there are often many more things people with vision issues could need. For example, my friend had problems in dark queues, or going from light to dark quickly. But the only stamp they had for all "vision issues" was to let a guest sit in the front row of a theatre. This stamp did nothing about queues, attractions, nothing. And when she went to Guest Relations, it took her explaining a few times before they understood her issues with queues and light and everything... I think that is what Sue meant with "problematic" - not that the person with a vision issue would not need a front row, but that the person may need more than that, but the stamp did nothing for it.
i get it now. well, we once got both stamps. alternate entrance adn sit in front. cause my husband has all those issues you described.(I guess it's ok to mentiont he stamps now?)
the new system, going to the kiosk and getting a return time to use the alternate entrance would work.. so he could avoid trying to navigate the dark, twisty queues, esp after coming in from the light.
but I don't see any accomodations for sitting in the front of shows.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
sammatt
Mouseketeer

Did I read somewhere that guests using wheelchairs will NOT need the DAS Card? If not, will they just use the alternative entrances as usual, or will they be given different return cards of some sort?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

If your needs are met by having a wheelchair, then you will NOT need a DAS card. You will be directed through the wheelchair accessible queue. Sometimes that will be a separate queue going through the exit or another entrance. Sometimes the main queue is accessible. Even in DL, some queues are mainstreamed, or are to a point. For example, Buzz Lightyear is mainstreamed. Star Tours is mainstreamed to a point, and once the queue hits the stairs, wheelchairs are directed to the side.

All queues in DCA are accessible, so people with wheelchairs, scooters, or other mobility needs will be directed to the standard queue. You also have the option of obtaining a Fastpass or using the Single Rider queue (again, these are accessible in DCA).

In Disneyland, I am not sure yet how they will handle people with wheelchairs. While there are very few attractions in all of WDW that are not mainstreamed, almost nothing in Disneyland Park is accessible to wheelchairs.

I would be surprised if all attractions that were not accessible handed out Return Time Cards to people with wheelchairs, if only because there are so many - I would end up with literally a dozen cards at a time. Also, it would make it very confusing for guests with a DAS. Part of the point is to reduce abuse, and if all it took to get a Return Time was to rent a wheelchair... that would be mayhem.

I would not be surprised if the system varied, depending on how crowded the park is. Most of the time, I would expect there to be a standard wheelchair queue, like exists now at Space Mountain. And when a guest with a DAS card Return Time came in (one who could not go through the non-accessible FP line), they would be sent down with the next group of people with wheelchairs to the attraction.

They may hand out return times on peak days or just at big attractions, but in general, I do not find a long line of wheelchairs waiting for Pinocchio.

I have no confirmation that wheelchair Attraction Return Times will be issued in Disneyland yet. I am talking to people in park, but I have not heard anything about this. What I had heard was that wheelchair users and their parties would still be handled as before, which may mean a separate queue. Disneyland may let WDW test these Return Cards first, before applying them to a much larger number of rides needing them in DL.

Again, so much has to wait until Oct 9th, or until we get credible information.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
HappiestHaunt
Took advantage of room for one more!

I have read on another board that unlike WDW where each attraction will have someone to mark the DAS, the CA parks will have a few scattered Kiosks Here is what was posted from a CA CM:

"We will use kiosks here; four kiosks to start at Disneyland, three to start at DCA. The card holder does not have to go to the kiosk to get a return time, but the card holder who has the picture on the DAS MUST be at the ride and go with the party on the attraction to use it.

If a parent doesn't want a child's picture taken, the parent can have their photo taken instead. Or, if the photo is declined entirely, CM's at the attractions will need to see photo ID that matches the name on the DAS in order for the DAS to be used at the attraction during the return time."

This system may unfortunately negatively affect some folks who relay on the current GAC and the upcoming DAS. If they do not have an able bodied runner, each ride will necessitate a trip back and forth to Kiosks and then the rides. This is not factoring in the possible line waits at kiosks and line waits again at rides with other DAS and nonDAS users such as individuals in mobility assistance devices. So they will be required to take time and energy to obtain the assistance for the alternative line, then return to the ride and potential run into the same lines as before (particularly for rides like Pirates or It's A Small world) that they have had in the past when they would simply get in line and show the card. I do hope that as they roll out this policy, Disney Company does tweak it (especially in CA). Otherwise it might prove to be too much for users who truly aren't capable of doing so much on top of getting around the parks, causing them to abandon the parks altogether.

"When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake spooks come out for a swingin' wake
happy haunts materialize, and begin to vocalize,
grim grinnin' ghosts come out to socialize..."

Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestHaunt View Post
I have read on another board that unlike WDW where each attraction will have someone to mark the DAS, the CA parks will have a few scattered Kiosks Here is what was posted from a CA CM:

"We will use kiosks here; four kiosks to start at Disneyland, three to start at DCA. The card holder does not have to go to the kiosk to get a return time, but the card holder who has the picture on the DAS MUST be at the ride and go with the party on the attraction to use it.

If a parent doesn't want a child's picture taken, the parent can have their photo taken instead. Or, if the photo is declined entirely, CM's at the attractions will need to see photo ID that matches the name on the DAS in order for the DAS to be used at the attraction during the return time."

This system may unfortunately negatively affect some folks who relay on the current GAC and the upcoming DAS. If they do not have an able bodied runner, each ride will necessitate a trip back and forth to Kiosks and then the rides. This is not factoring in the possible line waits at kiosks and line waits again at rides with other DAS and nonDAS users such as individuals in mobility assistance devices. So they will be required to take time and energy to obtain the assistance for the alternative line, then return to the ride and potential run into the same lines as before (particularly for rides like Pirates or It's A Small world) that they have had in the past when they would simply get in line and show the card. I do hope that as they roll out this policy, Disney Company does tweak it (especially in CA). Otherwise it might prove to be too much for users who truly aren't capable of doing so much on top of getting around the parks, causing them to abandon the parks altogether.
From what I have been told, that is not quite accurate. In CA, they will have kiosks, but you will also be able to get the return times at the attraction as well. It will be your choice which you wish to do. Additionally, they are supposed to subtract any wait time at the kiosk and a reasonable amount of time for travel to/from the kiosks from the wait time.

I am not saying the system will be perfect, in fact, you can already begin to see the complexity of the system.

That being said, they could potentially place the kiosks strategically to where you get a return time, go on some rides that don't need a return time, then go on the ride that does, then go to the next kiosk to get another time all with little to no backtracking.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
OneMoreTry

DIS Veteran

I see I posted on the DL thread instead of WDW. Sorry. I deleted.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: