Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

A different kind of back to back

My family loves both Disney and Carnival so we thought about doing a one week Carnival Western followed by a one week Eastern on Disney both out of Port Canaveral. Has any one done back to back cruises on different cruise lines? If so what did you do to get from one terminal to the other and also what to do to kill time before the other cruise port opens?
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
lexysdad04
Mouseketeer

We did this last yr but we did disney first then 1 day off and then carnival well big mistake because as much as we tried to NOT compare the 2 it was just too hard not too and now my wife doesn't want to go back to carnival I don't blame her based on her experience, at the mdr the server kept messing up on her order or forgetting her order completely only on the final night (tip night) did he get it right

Also the kids activities just don't compare even your kids will be comparing it the whole time

BUT any cruise is a good cruise it's just based on what you make of it
lexysdad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexysdad04
BUT any cruise is a good cruise it's just based on what you make of it
I know that you are trying to come across reasonable and not a complainer and you seem like friendly people, as many cruisers are! But personally I get a bit tired of hearing this and "any cruise is better than work or laundry." Because as long as you are a reasonable person, the vacation company, not you, is responsible for providing a good product and cruise experience for the money you spent with them. No where else would it be up to you to make up for a bad meal or defective product. You just would probably not go back or return it if you could. Myself, I won't go back on CCL either. In fact, I made the mistake of thinking I was probably burned out on cruising altogether but then we ended up on a 3 day DCL five weeks after our unfriendly CCL Dream and now I plain have an obsession!

What bothers me I guess about the "a cruise is what you make it" excuse is that implies that if you don't have a good trip, it's your attitude or something and you should just be happy anyway, you are on a cruise right? Wrong. Just because you are on vacation, just like any hotel or resort or vacation company, if the service is very poor (yours and ours was and clearly, that isn't us just being complainers or our fault) etc. than the company needs to do better to earn our vacation dollar.

There ARE options out there. CCL used to deliver a fun cruise with good happy servers or I wouldn't have gold with them. But I won't go back and I don't apologize for their bad business decisions (dropping from two personalized servers to many tables with three disorganized impersonal confused servers. Not their fault, CCLs fault.) That's just one example. Their failure is NOT "what I make of it" and it isn't nice people like you's (sorry grammar?) fault either!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
My family loves both Disney and Carnival so we thought about doing a one week Carnival Western followed by a one week Eastern on Disney both out of Port Canaveral. Has any one done back to back cruises on different cruise lines? If so what did you do to get from one terminal to the other and also what to do to kill time before the other cruise port opens?
Im thinking that you are going out of Port Canavera? If so, I cant think of any shuttle service that goes from terminal to terminal, so you would have to take a taxi with all of your luggage. At Port Canaveral, at the new terminal, theres supposed to be a snack bar either in the terminal itself or the lower level of the parking garage. I want to say its terminal 9 but cant swear to it until I get home to look.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

If it fits in your plans, I'd rent a car and maybe do the Kennedy Space Centre or hit the beach.

I think you'll have at least a couple of hours between getting off of one ship and getting onto the next.

With the rental car you can cancel up to the last minute so if customs slows down disembarkation on Carnival where you could head straight to the DCL terminal (by cab would be my suggestion since you'll have luggage) you could cancel the rental car without cost.

Remember to buy your duty free liquor on Carnival to enjoy on your DCL cruise .

And if your Western Caribbean on Carnival goes to Roatan (Mahagany Beach), I highly recommend getting a Cabana there. The beach area is private by the cabanas and it is a little slice of paradise.

And if you've not been on the Dream - try the pasta bar for lunch the first day (it's empty then but by the end of the cruise, people have "found" it and are lining up).

And if it's your thing - Superstar Kareoke! You get to sing with a live band and it's exilerating!

Ooh, plus, the brunch on sea days (it's included in your fare - try the diablo chicken or the mac n cheese with jerk chicken - both are so good); And of course - churros for dessert . And don't forget tea on sea days (they had a good amount of choices and it too is included in your cruise fare at no additional charge).

As you can probably tell, I too am a fan of both Carnival and DCL. Both lines have their pluses (and their minuses) and both can offer a very good cruise.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Im thinking that you are going out of Port Canavera? If so, I cant think of any shuttle service that goes from terminal to terminal, so you would have to take a taxi with all of your luggage. At Port Canaveral, at the new terminal, theres supposed to be a snack bar either in the terminal itself or the lower level of the parking garage. I want to say its terminal 9 but cant swear to it until I get home to look.
I don't know if it applies or not, but in our case, the Radisson partportcanaveral did drop offs from several ports. Wonder if they are traveling with a car...

If they used the Radisson, they might have to wait for people going back to the car park, but they could wait a few stops *like a bus stop* and then end up at the other cruise terminal afterward...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
kroozfoolz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
We have done this and this was our experience:
May of last year, we sailed on Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas followed by a cruise on Disney Magic. We drove to Port Canaveral and stayed the night before the first cruise at Country Inn and Suites using their park and cruise package. We worked it out with the hotel to use their shuttle service back to the hotel after the first cruise and then take a later shuttle back to the port for the Disney cruise. There was an additional charge involved, but it worked for us. We were able to reload our carryon luggage with some soft drinks and wine as well as leave some souvenirs from the first cruise in the car.

Our plan B (if we hadn't worked out the extra roundtrip shuttle service with the hotel) would have been to pre-arrange a taxi pickup after the Monarch cruise to take us to get more soda/wine and then back to the port. I never had to get far enough into this plan to learn what the cost would have been for this.

It would have been easier if we had parked at the port obviously, but the money we saved using the hotel's park and cruise package was worth it for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Remember to buy your duty free liquor on Carnival to enjoy on your DCL cruise .
kroozfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroozfoolz View Post
May of last year, we sailed on Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas followed by a cruise on Disney Magic. We drove to Port Canaveral and stayed the night before the first cruise at Country Inn and Suites using their park and cruise package. We worked it out with the hotel to use their shuttle service back to the hotel after the first cruise and then take a later shuttle back to the port for the Disney cruise. There was an additional charge involved, but it worked for us. We were able to reload our carryon luggage with some soft drinks and wine as well as leave some souvenirs from the first cruise in the car.

Our plan B (if we hadn't worked out the extra roundtrip shuttle service with the hotel) would have been to pre-arrange a taxi pickup after the Monarch cruise to take us to get more soda/wine and then back to the port. I never had to get far enough into this plan to learn what the cost would have been for this.

It would have been easier if we had parked at the port obviously, but the money we saved using the hotel's park and cruise package was worth it for us.

I think everyone has the idea to "save the BEST for last," Disney!

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroozfoolz View Post

Sounds like the best idea

Thanks for all the input
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: