Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?
But I can't find the clippie
 
DisneyCrazyX5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: midwest Ohio
Posts: 848

Planning first cruises - questions

We are planning a land and sea trip with our 3 (age 13, 13, 17 will be 14, 14 and 18 at cruise time) sons in June 2013. We would like 4-5 days at Disney and then a 4 day cruise. I asked for a quote, but only received information on the cruise. Do we book this as a land/sea package or each part by itself. I was looking at the Swan or Dolphin since a teacher discount may be available, but think we should stay at a WDW hotel so we can get Disney's Magical Express.
I am working on the passport forms for us now, should I get the books or cards? I thought I would just get the books.
Any advise would be great.
DisneyCrazyX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
We are planning a land and sea trip with our 3 (age 13, 13, 17 will be 14, 14 and 18 at cruise time) sons in June 2013. We would like 4-5 days at Disney and then a 4 day cruise. I asked for a quote, but only received information on the cruise. Do we book this as a land/sea package or each part by itself. I was looking at the Swan or Dolphin since a teacher discount may be available, but think we should stay at a WDW hotel so we can get Disney's Magical Express.
I am working on the passport forms for us now, should I get the books or cards? I thought I would just get the books.
Any advise would be great.
The all-in-one land/sea packages are no more. However, I believe you can add some WDW time on a cruise package. But you'll find it's less costly to book each portion separately.

IMO, passports is best. But many people do travel (on closed-loop cruises) with just their passport and photo ID (for those 16 and over). If you are going to pay for cards, I'd suggest just go ahead and pay for the books.

One note, the (at the time) 18 year old will not be in the teen club onboard, if that matters.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Gilland18
DIS Veteran
 
Gilland18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central Iowa
Posts: 544

You have to book the two parts separately; they are two different companies. I think the passport books are what you should get, as well. The card doesn't do anything for you that your birth certificate won't do. The only people who really benefit from the card are those who live in border states and cross into Canada or Mexico regularly. I like staying in Disney resorts but that is more of a personal choice. Have fun planning your trip!
__________________

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?
But I can't find the clippie
 
DisneyCrazyX5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: midwest Ohio
Posts: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The all-in-one land/sea packages are no more. However, I believe you can add some WDW time on a cruise package. But you'll find it's less costly to book each portion separately.

IMO, passports is best. But many people do travel (on closed-loop cruises) with just their passport and photo ID (for those 16 and over). If you are going to pay for cards, I'd suggest just go ahead and pay for the books.

One note, the (at the time) 18 year old will not be in the teen club onboard, if that matters.
Will he be a bad age? We are going after he graduates, so we have to wait until schools our. It is also are 25 wedding anniversary so it will be a big trip for us. We have been to WDW since 2007.

I kinda thought passport books would be best.
DisneyCrazyX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?
But I can't find the clippie
 
DisneyCrazyX5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: midwest Ohio
Posts: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilland18 View Post
You have to book the two parts separately; they are two different companies. I think the passport books are what you should get, as well. The card doesn't do anything for you that your birth certificate won't do. The only people who really benefit from the card are those who live in border states and cross into Canada or Mexico regularly. I like staying in Disney resorts but that is more of a personal choice. Have fun planning your trip!
Can we still get transportation from a WDW resort to the cruise ship?

I love Disney resorts too. I would love to stay at the Polynesian again. I like the extra room the deluxe resorts give us, but if we want to fly this time we may need to try something else.
DisneyCrazyX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
Will he be a bad age? We are going after he graduates, so we have to wait until schools our. It is also are 25 wedding anniversary so it will be a big trip for us. We have been to WDW since 2007.

I kinda thought passport books would be best.
Sorry, I don't understand the question. I was just pointing out that an 18 year old isn't allowed in the teen club (ages 14-17). There is a 18*21 group that meets the first night that's sort of a loose "club". But many cruises don't have particularly large response to it. It's not as organized (with a specific spot just for them) as the other clubs.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
Can we still get transportation from a WDW resort to the cruise ship?

I love Disney resorts too. I would love to stay at the Polynesian again. I like the extra room the deluxe resorts give us, but if we want to fly this time we may need to try something else.
Yes. Anyone on the cruise can book DCL transfers, from a WDW resort, or MCO.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,546
DISboards Moderator

The teen club -- VIBE -- is ages 14-17. As soon as the passenger turns 18 (even if onboard) he/she is considered an adult and not allowed into the teen club. The upside is that person is now allowed into any "adult only" areas -- the spa, night clubs, adult dining. You could celebrate his graduation at Palo or Remy - but it would be minus the younger boys.

As a PP indicated, you're best off doing separate land and sea reservations. That way you can take advantage of whatever special offers are available at WDW (such as the teacher discount at Swan/Dolphin). That hotel will not include the free Magical Express service between MCO and the resort. DCL transfers from any WDW resort to port or back is not free, it costs $35 per person each way ($70 round trip).

Don't get a Passport Card if your main reason is to use it for cruising -- either spend more for the full Passport or save the money and cruise with driver's license and birth certificates. The card will do you no good in emergency, and that really is the only reason to need a passport for a closed loop cruise -- an emergency that requires you to fly home (or to meet the ship). We have Passport Cards, but got them because we live near the Canadian border and cross frequently; I would not purchase it simply to cruise.

Enjoy your land/sea vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
starousse
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,104

We just did the same, but booked separately. Four nights in WDW and then 4 nights on the Dream.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 268

May I suggest staying at art of animation resort. That would give all your boys their own beds and it has a nice living room and kitchen area. We haven't stayed there yet but are booked in June before our Fantasy cruise and are looking forward to it. You are going to love the cruise. Have fun
__________________
Me , DW , DS (14) DD (13)
DCL: October 2011: Bahamian-Dream, June 2013: Eastern Caribbean-Fantasy, June 2014: Western Caribbean-Fantasy, June 2015: Western Caribbean-Fantasy
WDW: October 2007-Doubletree Suites, October 2009-All Star Music, October 2011-Contemporary, DCL, Pop Century, June 2013-Beach Club, DCL, Polynesian, 2014-Art of Animation, DCL, 2015-DCL, Art of Animation
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
islandtimect
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
We are planning a land and sea trip with our 3 (age 13, 13, 17 will be 14, 14 and 18 at cruise time) sons in June 2013. We would like 4-5 days at Disney and then a 4 day cruise. I asked for a quote, but only received information on the cruise. Do we book this as a land/sea package or each part by itself. I was looking at the Swan or Dolphin since a teacher discount may be available, but think we should stay at a WDW hotel so we can get Disney's Magical Express.
I am working on the passport forms for us now, should I get the books or cards? I thought I would just get the books.
Any advise would be great.
Your travel agent should have quoted you everything you asked for, even though the 2 parts of your vacation are essentially separate bookings from an agent's standpoint. I would try someone else. To figure out which hotel to stay at, I'd compare the price difference btw the hotels you are interested in vs free DME. You will save more at the Dolphin vs a deluxe hotel even though you would pay for airport transfers. That might not be the case for a value or mod, but keep in mind that values and mods would be tight for a family with 3 teen boys. FW cabins might be more comfy for your family, but they are expensive mods. AoA's theming might be a bit "childish" for your boys.

I agree with other posters regarding the passbook vs passcards. If you don't think you'll need them again in the next 10 years, maybe forgo them and use your existing id's.
__________________
Marie
1st visit 1971; latest visit 2014; next one 2014
DVC member- AKL, BLT
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
islandtimect
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
Can we still get transportation from a WDW resort to the cruise ship?

I love Disney resorts too. I would love to stay at the Polynesian again. I like the extra room the deluxe resorts give us, but if we want to fly this time we may need to try something else.
For your size family, it will likely be less expensive to rent a car each way rather than taking Disney transfers to Port Canaveral.

FYI JetBlue just released airfares to June, and SW will release the rest of May and parts of June on Oct 14.
__________________
Marie
1st visit 1971; latest visit 2014; next one 2014
DVC member- AKL, BLT
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.