Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
n8nally
DIS Veteran

What's the difference betweeen..............

the Dining Room Manager and the Head Server?

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
the Dining Room Manager and the Head Server?

The Dining Room Manager oversees all the Head servers, who over sees the servers and assistant servers.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemiss View Post
The Dining Room Manager oversees all the Head servers, who over sees the servers and assistant servers.
Ok. Do people typically meet this person? We never did on our Dream cruise, I don't think. Or maybe we did but I didn't know he was the dining manager? We switched rotations and had to go to someone in the restaurant to check in on the first night. Might that have been the guy?

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
PerryMookie
Earning My Ears

We never met ours on our last cruise. Seemed kind of ridiculous when we still had to tip him at the end.
PerryMookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMookie View Post
We never met ours on our last cruise. Seemed kind of ridiculous when we still had to tip him at the end.
You tip the head server, but not the dining room manager.

OP, I don't believe we met the "dining room manager." Our Head Server did make a brief appearance at our table each evening, oddly, except the final night when we had to track him down with the tip envelope.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Our Head Server did make a brief appearance at our table each evening, oddly, except the final night when we had to track him down with the tip envelope.
Same experience. Was he from Italy but with an almost French-sounding name?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Ok. Do people typically meet this person? We never did on our Dream cruise, I don't think. Or maybe we did but I didn't know he was the dining manager? We switched rotations and had to go to someone in the restaurant to check in on the first night. Might that have been the guy?
That was most likely your head server. When we wanted to ensure that we got the same servers on the second leg of our B2B, we went to our head server to arrange that.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Same experience. Was he from Italy but with an almost French-sounding name?
That was on the Dream in 2012. I honestly don't remember his name, though I'm sure it's included on something in my stuff from that trip. So odd that every meal he stopped by, until the last evening when we wanted to tip him. I guess that's the opposite of people who report never meeting their head server until he shows up the last night with his hand out!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
That was on the Dream in 2012. I honestly don't remember his name, though I'm sure it's included on something in my stuff from that trip. So odd that every meal he stopped by, until the last evening when we wanted to tip him. I guess that's the opposite of people who report never meeting their head server until he shows up the last night with his hand out!
Was it Simone? We had him on the Dream in Dec 2012. He managed to place us at a table on our second leg of the B2B with a couple we sat with the previous year on the Magic in addition to getting us the same servers. If so, we had a similar problem finding him on the last morning. But he always stopped by every night to give us updates on the next night's dining location, dress code, etc.

We've had head servers who we rarely if ever saw but Simone and the head server on our Med cruise this June stopped by every night to give us updates and socialize for a few minutes. Mostly, their job is to fix any problems you have and oversee the servers, but it's nice when they do come by and chat for a few minutes.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
clten
DIS Veteran

You may have met the Dining room manager but it is unlikely you would know that's who it was unless you had an issue.

The head server usually comes around every night to check on things, keep an eye on your server team, and handle any issues/allergies. They usually introduce themselves as part of your serving team. They are also the ones who are usually at the podium at the entrance to the restaurant when you come in. (They are dressed in costume a little different than the servers and assistant servers. For example on Pirate night, the servers and assistant servers are pirates with bandanas. The head servers are the ones with the big hats with feathers.)

We have met several Dining room managers and Food/Beverage Managers through the course of our cruising (they are normally in officers whites, not costumes). And often see them circulate through the dining rooms. They introduce themselves by first name, usually don't give their position unless you ask, but do ask how things are going and will chat with you.

Dining room managers are usually not tipped. Head servers are. Often they are hard to find on the last night because in addition to doing their normal duties -- handling allergies, singing Happy Birthday/Anniversary, watching their serving team, checking on tables -- they are also saying good bye to guests who want a few extra minutes to chat. It adds up since each Head Server covers a large percent of the dining room. We have learned to have the envelope for the head server ready as soon as we get into the dining room. As soon as he makes his way around to our table (yes, they try to stop by every table to give you the ticket with the time to go to breakfast the next morning) we give them their tip then. That way, when we are finished dinner and tipping our server and assistant server and saying goodbye, we are not losing 15-20 minutes finding and waiting for our head server.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford View Post
Was it Simone? We had him on the Dream in Dec 2012. He managed to place us at a table on our second leg of the B2B with a couple we sat with the previous year on the Magic in addition to getting us the same servers. If so, we had a similar problem finding him on the last morning. But he always stopped by every night to give us updates on the next night's dining location, dress code, etc.

We've had head servers who we rarely if ever saw but Simone and the head server on our Med cruise this June stopped by every night to give us updates and socialize for a few minutes. Mostly, their job is to fix any problems you have and oversee the servers, but it's nice when they do come by and chat for a few minutes.
We had Simone in April! I think we had pixie dust all ways around! Simone (who used to work at the nice restuarant in EP Italy for years) and Mihayl from Hungary who was the greatest waiter.

Much pixie dust indeed. Hopeful for the Magic...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: