Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
disdell555
Mouseketeer

Customs - What will a Shutdown bring ?

If the goverment is forced to Shutdown what would be the consequences to current and upcoming cruises?
disdell555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdell555 View Post
If the goverment is forced to Shutdown what would be the consequences to current and upcoming cruises?
from the LAtimes

At the Department of Homeland Security, which includes the U.S. Secret Service, the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration, Customs and Border Protection, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, most of the 231,117 workers would remain on the job. Officials said 31,295 would be furloughed.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

My 2 cents,

- Delay or pause in passport processing
- Work slowdown at Customs because furlough ... they do get paid in full after shutdown, I beleive ... Time to take a Disney cruise :-)
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal

Last edited by jlemieu1; 09-30-2013 at 01:40 PM.
jlemieu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
PerryMookie
Earning My Ears

probably just longer lines and more frustrated travellers and agents. :-(
PerryMookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

i don't really follow u.s. politics so i'm not at all sure what is happening however we tried to cross the border last wednesday and it was just stupid! there was a line up of about twenty transports waiting. the lanes for cars (8 lanes but just two open,) each had a car with the customs agent. we were the only car there when the lanes emptied but an agent that was just walking around came across the lanes and closed them with those saw horse things. all lanes were now closed. we rolled down a window and asked him what was happening but all he would say was it would only be a few minutes.
ten minutes passed before he opened the lanes back up. the agents were still sitting in their booths. there just was no reason for it. we cross over a lot and have never had this happen before.
so whats up??
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
scrapshappen
DIS Veteran

They are considered essential employees. However, they will be working without pay until the government reopens.

And yes, in previous shut downs, all government employees (except those on annual/sick/family leave) have always been paid for the time the government was shut down. However, there is no guarantee that will be included in the CR language either. And they can't go anywhere because they have to be ready to report back to work as soon as it's resolved or they risk not getting paid for the shut down.

State Department processes Passports and from what I have heard a read, that will come to a screeching halt during a shut down.

(We're a federal family if you haven't guessed. I'm the wife of an essential government employee and daughter of a former essential government employee. Good thing our cruise and airfare is paid for already.)
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
frugalwitch
Mouseketeer

We are supposed to fly out tomorrow. I've never flown before so I hope nothing goes wrong.
frugalwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
i don't really follow u.s. politics so i'm not at all sure what is happening however we tried to cross the border last wednesday and it was just stupid! there was a line up of about twenty transports waiting. the lanes for cars (8 lanes but just two open,) each had a car with the customs agent. we were the only car there when the lanes emptied but an agent that was just walking around came across the lanes and closed them with those saw horse things. all lanes were now closed. we rolled down a window and asked him what was happening but all he would say was it would only be a few minutes.
ten minutes passed before he opened the lanes back up. the agents were still sitting in their booths. there just was no reason for it. we cross over a lot and have never had this happen before.
so whats up??
The government just shut down today so who knows what was going on there.

I've read there shouldn't be any real difference in air travel during the shutdown. It sure could get interesting!

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
... they do get paid in full after shutdown, I beleive ...
I wish! It happened 17 years ago, but nothing is guaranteed this time.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
The government just shut down today so who knows what was going on there.

I've read there shouldn't be any real difference in air travel during the shutdown. It sure could get interesting!
Defiently should be interesting....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: