Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #31
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane

Just wanted to share that here in San Diego, I was rear-ended by someone driving without a license or registration. I called the cops and they said if nobody was seriously injured, they would not respond.
Same here. If there are no injuries, and vehicles are driveable, there is no police report. They do not respond.
Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post
I can't believe they told YOU to handle the claim. It is their job to handle the claim, no matter who is going to end up paying for it. When I backed into my neighbor's car that was parked across from my driveway they took my insurance information and their insurance contacted mine to get payment for the damage (I ended up not paying a dime, and neither did they). I did call my agent to find out what was going to happen, of course. You shouldn't be out any money at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
Grandpa probably has more insurance than you.

Let your insurance carrier handle it. That's what you pay them for and they will...handle it.

I'm so glad you are okay!!!!!!
Thank you all for reply! I am not upset anymore this morning!

I am still confused about the insurance thing. I called again last night and the 2nd agent on the phone told me basically the same thing: Let the old guy's insurance handle this first and if they don't pay, we'll step in. The second guy did file a "record-only" claim for me, but it won't do me anything. I am going to call the agent who sold me the policy again today.
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

Lots of good advice!

If the cops will come, always, always call and let them file a report. It is your official 'this really happened and it was the other guy's fault' record.

Here in Ga., you call the cops, they show up, possibly issue tickets, then you stand before a judge and tell your side of the story. I heard of one person who had a fender bender and the guy at fault begged off saying his father was the attorney for a major company here in Atlanta and gave his number, saying he would take care of it. When the person called the next day, the Father attorney said, "Where is your proof? you can 't prove my son did anything. Goodbye."

I would always call and get an official report no matter what the other person told me. There are many older folks on the road who have no business driving. I have begun noticing they are protecting one another and don't want to report each other. My mother was 'hit' while walking and didnt' call the police. And their good friend drove across their yard and plowed down the mailbox, and they didn't call her adult children to say, 'you may want to check out Mom's driving skills'.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
Leighbra
Luckier than she deserves

I'm so sorry, OP. I know how stressful this is. And in such a new car! Don't beat yourself up, we do the best we can in these situations, add in the adrenaline, etc, and we could spend all our lives second guessing things.

My parents are in their 70s & though my dad was a professional driver (both truck & drag racing), his skills are starting to slip. I am pretty terrified of having that "Dad, should you be driving?" convo with him.
Leighbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
swanmom
Victoria and Alberts - Hands Down
Some people got a lot more time than they have sense
Was that a Sonic Boom or is my DH ironing again?

I know that the OP has heard more than a few times that, in most cases, you should call the police. I'm not trying to beat the proverbial 'dead horse' but I'd like to add a different, important reason why it makes sense to report an accident if you can.
My mother-in-law is still driving in her mid-80's despite our repeated efforts and urgent pleas to get her to stop. More than six times in the past two years, we have found out (either through her apartment neighbors, or her car repair shop or checking her car or she called a cousin for help) that she has been in an accident. In each of these cases, the person she hit saw a crying, contrite older lady who begged them not to report it. In each case, they felt sorry for her and agreed not to call the police. But, this means there is no official record of her repeated accidents - which would be required for her to lose her insurance or have her license taken away. I know it is with good intentions that these people agree not to report her but it would actually be really helpful (and safer for all) if they would put it "on the record."
swanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post
I can't believe they told YOU to handle the claim. It is their job to handle the claim, no matter who is going to end up paying for it. When I backed into my neighbor's car that was parked across from my driveway they took my insurance information and their insurance contacted mine to get payment for the damage (I ended up not paying a dime, and neither did they). I did call my agent to find out what was going to happen, of course. You shouldn't be out any money at all.
Respectfully, you are incorrect. In the case of the accident you were involved in, your liability property damage covered the damage you caused. That would be at no out of pocket expense to you. As far as any damages to your own vehicle, those would be covered by your own first party coverages; in the scenario you described, that would be collision coverage carrying whatever deductible you chose when you set up your policy.

Regarding the poster you quoted, that situation was a non-fault accident for that poster. That means he or she has the choice of filing thru the responsible parties insurance carrier to have them handle the damages directly or filing thru his or her own carrier and letting them subrogate. In minor accidents it is actually a very common practice to file thru adverse - most popular reasons are do not carry first party coverage and carry first party but the deductible chosen is too high.

To sum it up - what you are paying for with insurance is a line of coverages. If you are at fault, those coverages are there to protect you. If you are not at fault, as the insured it is completely up to you to decide how you would like to handle your damages.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #37
AuroraSheasMom
Earning My Ears

I'm in GA, too and was in a similar accident recently, except I am the at fault driver. After a long day at Six Flags and a couple of hours on the interstate, I was less than 20 minutes from home when I was in an accident. My contact popped out of my eye and and I instinctively tried to catch it before it hit the ground. When I did, I accidentally swerved into the next lane over. His mirror scratched my passenger's side front quarter panel, and his mirror busted (drivers side). There were literally no other cars around within a mile. We both pulled over into a shopping center parking lot, checked to make sure we were both alright, looked at the damage and exchanged information. The other driver and I discussed if we should even call the police since the damage was not major.
I went ahead and called, knowing that even though the other driver saw no need, and that I would be considered at fault, simply because I knew that there would at least be a record of the accident and damages. My DH was pretty upset because the mirror we replaced for the other driver was $77, but my ticket was $265. It was still less than if the other driver had decided to file a claim on my insurance company and claim medical injuries etc.
Unless it is a case of no damages at all (to either vehicle), I would call and file a report. Just because the other driver "seems" nice and says they won't file a claim later doesn't mean they won't. It's better to protect yourself.
AuroraSheasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Glad you are okay.

At least when you are rear ended more often then not insurance companies know that the person behind is the responsible party. But I also had a small accident that ended up being a disaster, a lot of fighting for something I was not responsible for. Lesson learned, always call the cops for a police report. Good luck w everything
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #39
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
Thank you! I should have snapped a few pics. First time for me to be involved in an accident, I just wanted to get out of the traffic.

I did contact my insurance company, but they told me to try file with the other driver's insurance company first. If I file with mine, there will be deductibles.

I also thought about calling 911, but I left my cellphone at home today. I thought about borrowing the phone from a close by restaurant, but decided not to.

I can now only wish grandpa grumpy would be honest about it.
Where I live, the police won't come for something very minor like this. And you are required to move out of the flow of traffic unless there is an injury or your car isn't driveable, so it sounds like you did the right thing. Definitely take pictures, and just submit the information to his insurance company. When you are rear ended, it's not your fault because it's the other driver responsibility to not run into you. Don't get stressed over this.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #40
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! I should have snapped a few pics. First time for me to be involved in an accident, I just wanted to get out of the traffic.

I did contact my insurance company, but they told me to try file with the other driver's insurance company first. If I file with mine, there will be deductibles.

I also thought about calling 911, but I left my cellphone at home today. I thought about borrowing the phone from a close by restaurant, but decided not to.

Where I live, the police won't come for something very minor like this. And you are required to move out of the flow of traffic unless there is an injury or your car isn't driveable, so it sounds like you did the right thing. Definitely take pictures, and just submit the information to his insurance company. When you are rear ended, it's not your fault because it's the other driver responsibility to not run into you. Don't get stressed over this.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #41
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:

File with your insurance company. You will have to pay your deductible, but will get reimbursed when his company pays up. That way, your insurance company will be teed up if there is any kind of fight. In a rear-ender, the car in back is at fault.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Georgia law on moving cars in an accident:

Quote:
As far as moving the vehicles after an accident, Georgia law provides that when a motor vehicle traffic accident occurs with no apparent serious personal injury or death, it shall be the duty of the drivers of the motor vehicles involved in such traffic accident, or any other occupant of any such motor vehicle who possesses a valid driver's license, to remove said vehicles from the immediate confines of the roadway into a safe refuge on the shoulder, emergency lane, or median or to a place otherwise removed from the roadway whenever such moving of a vehicle can be done safely and the vehicle is capable of being normally and safely driven, does not require towing, and can be operated under its own power in its customary manner without further damage or hazard to itself, to the traffic elements, or to the roadway. (O.C.G.A. § 40-6-275(c))

However, a vehicle incapacitated as a result of a motor vehicle traffic accident with apparent serious personal injury or death may not be moved until the law enforcement officers have made the necessary measurements and diagrams required for the initial accident investigation. (O.C.G.A. § 40-6-275(g)
As for the old guy... I've always said there were two kinds of old people, the really sweet and the cantankerous, I think you know which one ran into you.

Thought this would give you a laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN8YQVM1GQI

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #43
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
For future reference: Call the police and DO NOT move the car until the police have come and done an accident report.
Police would most likey not respond, and would not take a report for a non-injury crash in California. If you call, or an officer is in the area and stops you would be instructed to do exactly what the OP did . I've even seen them push cars out of the road to clear the road and then leave.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #44
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Police would most likey not respond, and would not take a report for a non-injury crash in California. If you call, or an officer is in the area and stops you would be instructed to do exactly what the OP did . I've even seen them push cars out of the road to clear the road and then leave.
That is not entirely true. I am in CA and they took a report for a non-injury crash when I was rear ended on the freeway. I had pulled over to the shoulder with the other driver and I did have to wait as it wasn't an emergency, but they did come and do a report. I called non-emergency CHP though. I would never call 911 for a non-injury.

Upcoming: Oct 16-19 (DLH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #45
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

I am very happy to give you all a update.

The other guy's insurance company called. They will pay for my repair with no cost to me. Yay!

I am not sure what happened. I choose to believe that grandpa was just grumpy, but he is an honest guy in the end.

Thank you all for replying and sharing your experiences. I learned a lot!
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: