Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #61
RhondaL
Mouseketeer

My daughter just got her white slip last week! We started a week or two before with her pulling in and backing out of our driveway. She drove home from our grocery shopping in the nearest "city". It was a nice straight road....she told me that she would keep it under 60 mph. The speed limit is 55 mph. I don't think she made it past 40 mph. My biggest concern is that she drives "tight....she grips the steering wheel so hard and I feel like she is going to over correct at any second...but she hasn't.

Overall, very nerve-wracking for me and her! I feel like I need a nap when we are done.
RhondaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #62
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My DS17 says to start in a big parking lot and once you are comfy there, move to neighborhood roads.

He also said to make sure he uses blinkers and turn off the car radio while driving. He says to put your phone in the glove compartment and turn it off.

Another idea he put out was to stay away from roads with fire stations at first. Apparently on his first drive on the main road, they drove by a fire station right when the sirens started and it freaked him out.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #63
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

DD has had her permit since mid-April but didn't really start driving until about a month ago because the traffic is so bad here in the summer. I admit I took her a couple of times in the spring but then she decided we weren't a good fit I can't imagine why ~ here's a scenario...I take her driving on a fairly main road during a non-busy time. She stops, not once, but several times, even after I've explained that she should not, every time a car pulls to the main raod from a side road and lets them go first. OMG, you cannot come to a dead stop on a main road to let people go

She started asking anyone and everyone if she could drive and so my Mom and Dad, brothers and sisters have all taken her out. She completed her classroom hours in April but they won't sign her for her driving/observation hours until we've done most of the work

I'm a wreck everytime I let her drive, some because I have a brand new car and some because she hugs the right, stops short, and just generally isn't a very good driver yet, although everyone else thinks she does just fine, so take that with a grain of salt.

We've come to a compromise in that she will buy a car in the next couple of weeks that she can use now to save me the heart attack of teaching her in my car. If she dents her own, so be it, its not like she can afford a new Land Rover anyways
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #64
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Not exactly the answer you were looking for, but something we did that was so helpful. We live near a big NASCAR tack. There is an organization that does a teen safety driving class. The owner had a teen son killed in a car crash and started the program in his name. They teach teens things they do not learn in drivers ed. They learned how to deal with road rage, and people pulling out in front of them etc. It was soooo worth it. Look for something similar in your area.
MSSANDRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #65
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
My dad made my sister and I learn to drive with a standard car on hilly, wet dirt roads. I hated it but after 4 hours and several tears from both of us --- we could drive that car on any road down here --- please don't give me snow or ice, I can't drive on that -- we don't get that kind of weather. After that he made my sister drive him from Alabama to Detriot, MI. I got lucky (being the baby) I just had to drive around our small town. But I still hate driving in congested cities like Birmingham or Atlanta, I typically let my DH drive in these areas. That much traffic makes me nervous. Good thing its a rare day that we travel through those cities.

My DS (13 yrs) has been driving the truck on our farm since he was 12. So he can operate the truck fine. My DH plans to let him drive us to Disney once he gets his permit at 15. Just two more years and he will be on the road. Wow! Time flies.

Before I scare anyone who will be making a trip to Disney in 2 years, DS will have been driving for several months on the roads doing mini-trips prior to making the 6 hr drive to Orlando. So no worries!
I would check before you start out and make sure he can drive outside of your state on a permit. Most states limit the driving to the state the permit was issued in. Our state doesn't do permits, but neighboring states do and the kids can't cross the state lines with their permits. Our kids can't cross state lines either because our rules are different than theirs.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #66
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Our DD was a hard nosed, physical stopper . . . DW made the mistake of telling her to drive defensively . . . Scared the bejabbers out of me

If your kid is a good aggressive defensive player, in any sport that doesn't separate teams by a net, do not tell them to drive defensively!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #67
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszdtrvl View Post
My son has his drivers permit and I have taken him out to drive a few times.

He starts drivers education next weekend, and I am trying to get him as comfortable as possible.

Any tips or hints you can give me to make this painless and smooth for the both of us?
Yeah, try not to freak out when he drives. Oh, the memories of my parents teaching me to drive......
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #68
mikron
Donald Pin Collector

IMO don't teach him let the driving school have him without any of your teaching so they don't have to change your teachings.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #69
sbtrfly74
DIS Veteran

Didnt read through all the posts but our driving school doesnt recommend drivers ed until they are close to being ready for the test or take the classroom portion and 2 driving sessions and save the last driving session for right before the test.

This worked out great for my DD20 who was an anxious driver and almost didnt pass drivers ed and was asked to take more time and get experience before she came back for the last driving session or she would have failed the class.

As for my DD17 shes a much better driver overall, was scarred at first but has done very well. I wouldnt take him to drivers ed until you can assess his comfort level as a driver and you stop holding on to the door
sbtrfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #70
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I find it so fascinating to see all the different rules in different states. In MN, a kid cannot get behind the wheel, period, until they have taken 10 hours of classroom instruction (not provided at school) and then pass a written test. Only then can they start driving with anyone. Then they also must take 3 2 hour behind the wheel sessions with a driving instructor, and have 30 hours of practice in elsewhere, and at least 6 months with their permit before they can take the driving test for their license.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #71
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Drivers Ed. is postponed for the next few weeks..

They only had 4 children sign up and are going to schmooze the local schools to try to get more kids signed up. The instructor will keep me informed of when the class will start.

I am not too disappointed though. DS can't even get his license until he has his permit for 6 months. And this will give him more time to get comfortable behind the wheel of the car.

He is thrilled! Now he doesn't have to get up early on Saturday for at least a few weeks.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #72
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
I would check before you start out and make sure he can drive outside of your state on a permit. Most states limit the driving to the state the permit was issued in. Our state doesn't do permits, but neighboring states do and the kids can't cross the state lines with their permits. Our kids can't cross state lines either because our rules are different than theirs.
Yes! I was going to say this too when I read that. I am pretty sure in PA you can't drive in another state on a permit.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #73
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

3 pieces of advice:

1. To make good left turns, turn the wheel just a little past halfway.
2. To make nice smooth stops, press on the brake, and when almost stopped, let up just a little bit, with practice, you can stop without even feeling the actual moment the car stops.
3. Practice, practice, practice. In all types of driving, everywhere. The more practice, the more relaxed the driver.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: