Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
MrsZ
October Disney Bride

Red face Any other MLS soccer fans out there?

I'm usually watching my New England Revolution games all by my lonesome! I don't understand why there aren't more soccer fans out there.

I get made fun of all the time by my friends and family for needing to be home to watch the game or for wanting to go to Gillette stadium and watch them. I swear if I hear "Soccer is so boring" one more time I'm going to scream!

Anyone else an MLS fan? Who's your team? And what do you love about it?

xoxo
Mrs Z
Engaged on 11/4/2008 on a carriage ride at the Wilderness lodge Married my Best Friend on 10/2/2010 at the Boardwalk Our 1st Disney cruise for our 1st anniversary 10/2011 Fantasy Cruise to see our cruise buddies get hitched! 9/2012 Ran my First RunDisney 5K 11/2012 Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 9/2014
MrsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
maps
DIS Veteran

Been to a few Revs games with my son's soccer team where they get to play on the field before the game. Very fun and exciting! I don't get the whole soccer is boring thing either.

Now baseball, I'd rather pick off my fingernails one by one than sit through one of those games!
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
MrsZ
October Disney Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by maps View Post
Been to a few Revs games with my son's soccer team where they get to play on the field before the game. Very fun and exciting! I don't get the whole soccer is boring thing either.

Now baseball, I'd rather pick off my fingernails one by one than sit through one of those games!
YAY! I'm glad I'm not the only one! And I totally agree about Baseball...

Have you been following this season? We could possibly make the play offs this year if all goes well! ::knocking on all kinds of wood::
Engaged on 11/4/2008 on a carriage ride at the Wilderness lodge Married my Best Friend on 10/2/2010 at the Boardwalk Our 1st Disney cruise for our 1st anniversary 10/2011 Fantasy Cruise to see our cruise buddies get hitched! 9/2012 Ran my First RunDisney 5K 11/2012 Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 9/2014
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Chicago Fire, although right now we are watching EPL ( Chelsea and Man City fans). We are a soccer family: both kids play travel, DH coaches at a university. We love the game. I can't watch the hours of boring football with a million time outs, etc. Kills me!!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
MrsZ
October Disney Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Chicago Fire, although right now we are watching EPL ( Chelsea and Man City fans). We are a soccer family: both kids play travel, DH coaches at a university. We love the game. I can't watch the hours of boring football with a million time outs, etc. Kills me!!
Oh boy Chicago fire huh??? Lol

I need to start watching more EPL. I use to watch Man Utd. But I've been more about MLS than anything else. Can't wait for the World Cup this summer!! Woohoo
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

I enjoy watching soccer (thanks to watching my kids play), but don't follow MLS. If there's a match on while I'm scanning channels, I'll watch.

I used to think soccer was boring. Once I learned a little about it (mainly some basic strategy), it made it SO much more interesting to watch.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

I love soccer. Most people I know prefer football. People just don't understand, at least in soccer they don't play stop huddle/plan. Soccer they actually think quickly on their feet.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
joanne312
DIS Veteran

Another Chicago Fire fan here!!!! What a season it has been for us. Mike Magee has done absolute wonders but we still can't catch a break. I'm looking forward to next season when we (hopefully) have him all year long. This year isn't totally lost, for us though. When the Revs self destruct we will make the playoffs!
We were season ticket holders for a few seasons before we had our son.
We love soccer in our home. It is not boring. If someone says soccer is boring its because they don't know what they are watching. It is the most popular sport in the world for a reason. We were lucky enough to get to see Manchester United play 2 years ago when they came to Chicago. It was amazing. In EPL we cheer for Everton since my husband loves Tim Howard, but I'm more of an Arsenal fan myself.
Even though you're a Revs fan and I'm a Fire fan, we can all agree that the Sounders are the worst!

Planning: Jan 2014 CSR, Oct 2014 BC
2013 POFQ ~ 2011 POR ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2008 DCL E. Caribbean ~ 2006 DCL W. Caribbean
joanne312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Love soccer. All 3 of my kids played almost year round. But youngest is now in college and not playing. He doesn't like MLS...prefers to watch international teams play.

I'll catch a Revs game on TV every so often. Every year I say I'm going to go to Gillette to see a game, and never get there. (Did go to one Revs game with DD's soccer team years ago. Also, an old Boston Breakers game when the WUSA first started, before it folded and became the WPS, which has also folded. ) DH is NOT into watching soccer unless it's one of our kids, which ain't happening anymore. Maybe when our granddaughter starts.

We were in Bermuda a few years ago when the Revs were there. We stayed at the same hotel and were on the same plane coming home, and met a few, including Matt Reis and (then a Rev) Michael Parkhurst. Nicest guys! I followed Matt Reis' FIL's progress a bit on FB...he was a victim of the Boston bombers.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

We catch whatever games are on TV, including MLS games when they're on. We always try to get down to Columbus to catch one or two Crew games a year and watch a few more of their games on TV as well, but I don't know if we're devoted enough to call ourselves "fans". I much prefer watching EPL or La Liga games -- it just seems like better soccer most of the time.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

I'm a founding member of Sam's Army and the Empire Supporters Club, so yeah, I like soccer ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
MrsZ
October Disney Bride

Yay! I'm so glad I'm not the only other soccer fan around these parts!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
MrsZ
October Disney Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnnDVC View Post
Love soccer. All 3 of my kids played almost year round. But youngest is now in college and not playing. He doesn't like MLS...prefers to watch international teams play.

I'll catch a Revs game on TV every so often. Every year I say I'm going to go to Gillette to see a game, and never get there. (Did go to one Revs game with DD's soccer team years ago. Also, an old Boston Breakers game when the WUSA first started, before it folded and became the WPS, which has also folded. ) DH is NOT into watching soccer unless it's one of our kids, which ain't happening anymore. Maybe when our granddaughter starts.

We were in Bermuda a few years ago when the Revs were there. We stayed at the same hotel and were on the same plane coming home, and met a few, including Matt Reis and (then a Rev) Michael Parkhurst. Nicest guys! I followed Matt Reis' FIL's progress a bit on FB...he was a victim of the Boston bombers.
I love Matt Reis! I've been following his FIL's progress too. So sad... but i'm glad he is doing much better! How cool you got to see them in Bermuda!

I find it so odd that as kids, everyone plays soccer (or it seems like everyone does) and then we get older and the interest dies out.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
MrsZ
October Disney Bride

So who is watching games this weekend!? What are your predictions???
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
joanne312
DIS Veteran

Fire beat DC and move up above the red line!!!!! Houston also bumps Montreal to 4th in the East. Just need the stars to align (ahem... Revs, Union, Crew....) and our playoff dream stays alive!

Planning: Jan 2014 CSR, Oct 2014 BC
2013 POFQ ~ 2011 POR ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2008 DCL E. Caribbean ~ 2006 DCL W. Caribbean
joanne312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: