Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #211
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

It is notable that AMC greenlit Talking Dead early on in The Walking Dead's existence. I think AMC was already banking on TWD being a huge hit because the comic book has been so popular, so they set the ball rolling for TD before too much time passed.

Talking Dead started out as a 30-minute show but because it was hard to get into a real discussion with guests about the episode in less than 30 minutes (after commercials), it was extended to one hour.

Talking Bad only became the punctuation mark at the end of Breaking Bad's proverbial sentence with the last 8 episodes that have aired this year -- not even for the entirety of season 5, let alone the previous 4 seasons! It baffles me that AMC didn't make the show one hour for all 8 episodes in 2013 instead of just the finale. BrBa has been on the air much longer than The Walking Dead has been on.

In any case, as predicted here in this thread yesterday, BrBa scored its highest ratings ever last night with over 10 million viewers tuning in -- and, also as predicted, it kicked some Homeland butt!

I think that The Walking Dead, however, will surpass BrBa in ratings overall, through the course of that series, because even though the acting is not even close to being on the same level as the acting on BrBa...people love their gory zombie TV shows.

Chris Hardwick is almost the new face of AMC! Between these two after-shows on AMC and his show The Nerdist on BBC America, he is parlaying his stand-up comic career into a full-time TV hosting gig! Maybe next year AMC will do a Mad Men after show that he can host... Talking Mad? Talking Men? Lol.

Bryan Cranston has been in a historical play (I think in New York), so that's what has been tying him up and preventing him from being on Talking Bad in person. I'm surprised he was even able to fly out here (L.A.) last night to be at the party but I'm glad that he was! You can't very well have a BrBa finale party without Walter White.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #212
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I just wanted to pop in quickly to say that I watched the episode again because the incessant commercial breaks during the first run really threw me off and ruined the flow for me, and I wanted to go back over it and fast forward through the ads.

To be honest, I did not think it was a totally perfect ending. It was a much better ending than Dexter, for sure (I already expressed my feelings about that finale a couple of pages back), and it was less frustrating than the ending of The Sopranos, but I still felt that certain things in the BrBa finale could have been a bit better. I thought that there were a couple of areas that fell a little flat or dragged on too long, while other things probably did not get 'explained' or detailed enough. Maybe those things would have felt more fitting if the episode had been a full 90 minutes or 2 hours -- I'm not sure.

In any case, in my opinion it was a good ending with little moments of greatness here and there. I liked it a lot. I didn't absolutely love it. I still got weepy anyway!

I don't have a problem with Jesse not killing Walt or Jesse not dying -- and I actually still think that Walt was definitely going to kill himself after Jesse refused to do it and left (**because Walt tried to kill himself in the very first episode of the series, so we knew he had it in himself to do it**). But Walt figured "Eh...I'm going to die anyway, very shortly, from this gunshot wound," and/or he stopped to admire the shiny equipment for a moment and remember his meth-making heyday before killing himself...and then passed out.

When Walt went to visit Skyler and Holly, he knew that he wouldn't see them again. It was evident. And it was evident that Skyler knew she wouldn't see him again. Walt knew that he was going to die that day, one way or the other -- and if he had to do the job himself, he would have. He just didn't get to that point because the lure of the cooking equipment caught his attention and then he collapsed from the wound...which is the irony, because the lure of meth-cooking is what caught his attention and ruined his life in the first place.

The guy who plays Todd was supposed to originally be on Talking Bad last night but I think he got bumped off in place of Anna Gunn. He hadn't been on TB all season.

Anyway, as I mentioned last night, I will be moseying back to the Walking Dead thread in a couple of weeks so if any BrBa fans watch that show too, hopefully I will see you there!
Sorry to keep playing devil's advocate, but what you pointed out about Walt having it in him to kill himself in that first episode is wrong. He did not have it in himself then which is why he never pulled the trigger. That is the beauty of the writing. The writers defined Walt's character so well and never veered off of that leaving a ending. To think he would have killed himself undermines everything the writers conveyed about Walt's personality. The show ended exactly the way it was supposed to when you think of character development.

Now compare that with the ending of Dexter which was sooooo out of character and really bad writing. The two don't compare.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #213
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
Sorry to keep playing devil's advocate, but what you pointed out about Walt having it in him to kill himself in that first episode is wrong. He did not have it in himself then which is why he never pulled the trigger. That is the beauty of the writing. The writers defined Walt's character so well and never veered off of that leaving a ending. To think he would have killed himself undermines everything the writers conveyed about Walt's personality. The show ended exactly the way it was supposed to when you think of character development.
I agree completely.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #214
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Now compare that with the ending of Dexter which was sooooo out of character and really bad writing. The two don't compare.
IDoDis --

I don't mind if you disagree with me. My mind is not changing. I can debate and analyze all day and night about a subject I believe, as long as I have the time to devote to it (which I don't always have)!

At the end of the day, we all interpret how we want to interpret. We all see what we want to see and some beliefs may be confirmed over time, whereas others will never be confirmed (you didn't initially see the timeline difference in Walt's and Jesse's stories in "Granite State," for example, but it was there).

All we have is the show and the events in said show that were presented to us, and we can make of them what we will unless we meet Vince Gilligan or other writers from the show who say something else!

In no particular order, but just as these thoughts pop into my head:

1. For all intents and purposes, Walt actually did kill himself -- it was his rigged device that shot him. He probably assumed someone else would kill him first. I don't think that he planned a suicide-by-stray-bullets, but he really did kill himself 'accidentally' -- and it was a scenario that was always a possibility, and I think he thought it was an almost amusing irony;

2. Walt forgot to unlock the safety on the gun in that first episode which is why he didn't succeed in blowing his head off when he tried -- he was not as skilled and adept with a gun at that point. As for why he didn't try a second time or persist, Walt had more to live for at that moment in the desert than he had by the time he went to the Nazi Clubhouse in the last episode, when he had nothing left to live for. He still had a family that loved him at that moment, and he still had to provide for them (or so he convinced himself in his head back then).

But we saw a man who would, indeed, try to kill himself if the situation became desperate enough; and

3. Walt knew he was dying on that last day when he went to the Clubhouse, one way or the other, and if he had to do it himself he would have.

When Walt went to see Skyler the reason he gave her the GPS coordinates to find Hank's and Gomez's bodies is because he knew he would not be alive by the end of that day to tell the cops where the bodies were buried. He may have assumed that someone would kill him first, but if they hadn't he would have ended his misery and suffering from cancer and died (still on his own terms).

Walt had nothing left to live for. He had caused everyone else misery and he was suffering from his illness. His family wanted nothing to do with him ever again. He only let himself live long enough to take care of those loose ends, and then it would all be over.

Walt was not going to come back from the Clubhouse alive, and if he had to take himself out at the end of it (because he went there originally intending to kill Jesse too -- which Vince Gilligan confirmed in one of his many post-finale interviews -- so Walt did not plan to ask Jesse to kill him at first) he would have done so. It just so happened that he caused his own death in a different way...but I am 100% convinced he would have pulled the trigger on himself if he hadn't been shot badly, or if his wound had only been minor.

Did Walt look like he was fighting to stay alive after he got shot? Was he frantically trying to bandage himself up or stop the massive blood loss? No. Because he wanted to die! And someone who wants to die that badly would have killed himself if he hadn't been accidentally shot.

There was nothing left for Walt. All of the loose ends he needed to tie up were tied. He had done all of the "things" he had "left to do" (to use his quote "Ozymandias"). His odyssey had come to an end. He was not going to rot in a jail cell as the end stages of his cancer kicked in.

This is not really about whether the ending was perfect or not. I was not 100% satisfied with the ending, but it has nothing to do with how Walt died. It was for other reasons. As I said previously, I liked the ending. It was very good, with some great moments. There were certain scenes I could have done without or cut a bit short, and others I would have liked further expansion on.

I just interpreted all of the events set forth in a certain way, and it may not be the way you did and that's totally fine!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #215
Prisstina
Mouseketeer

One of my friends (who's an even bigger Breaking Bad fan than I am) shared this with me yesterday. It's a very funny finale-related BrBa meme:

If The Breaking Bad Finale Took Place Entirely On Facebook.
Prisstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #216
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisstina View Post
One of my friends (who's an even bigger Breaking Bad fan than I am) shared this with me yesterday. It's a very funny finale-related BrBa meme:

If The Breaking Bad Finale Took Place Entirely On Facebook.
Prisstina -

That's hilarious! It would be even worse if it took place entirely on Twitter, with the limited number of characters and all!

Speaking of which, I've been spending less and less time on Facebook lately (for a variety of reasons) and am trying to ultimately get rid of it altogether. However, I did attempt to visit the BrBa page on FB yesterday...only to have my PC completely freeze up. Facebook tends to make my computer run slowly anyway, but I am guessing that the BrBa page was still getting slammed with traffic when I tried to get on it to read some comments. In this day and age of social media, people have a place like Facebook or Twitter where they can offer immediate commentary that may or may not be seen by the creators of certain shows. It wasn't like that in "the old days."

It still seems like the majority of people who I've heard commenting in various places like or love the ending of BrBa. For every 10 people who liked it, there seems to be maybe one person who didn't like it. One guy I saw on Anderson Cooper's show last night said -- if I recall -- that he liked the finale for the most part, but he thought that Walt's fate should have been worse (I am paraphrasing). He thought the writers went too easy on Walt. I took it to mean that he thought it should have been a more dramatic, violent end for Walt.

I have heard other people say (when pondering what will happen to Jesse) that Jesse will screw up again, because he makes terrible decisions and will continue to do that. He may be okay for a while, but he will eventually slip back into a bad life. Everyone seems to agree he will go to see Brock to check in on him, but some people wonder why he is so attached to Brock after barely even dating Andrea for very long.

It's just interesting to me to read the different kinds of feedback and opinions on what did happen, what will happen to the characters (which will never be seen by us anyway) and what could/should have happened. It's a fascinating discussion, I think!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #217
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Prisstina -

That's hilarious! It would be even worse if it took place entirely on Twitter, with the limited number of characters and all!

Speaking of which, I've been spending less and less time on Facebook lately (for a variety of reasons) and am trying to ultimately get rid of it altogether. However, I did attempt to visit the BrBa page on FB yesterday...only to have my PC completely freeze up. Facebook tends to make my computer run slowly anyway, but I am guessing that the BrBa page was still getting slammed with traffic when I tried to get on it to read some comments. In this day and age of social media, people have a place like Facebook or Twitter where they can offer immediate commentary that may or may not be seen by the creators of certain shows. It wasn't like that in "the old days."

It still seems like the majority of people who I've heard commenting in various places like or love the ending of BrBa. For every 10 people who liked it, there seems to be maybe one person who didn't like it. One guy I saw on Anderson Cooper's show last night said -- if I recall -- that he liked the finale for the most part, but he thought that Walt's fate should have been worse (I am paraphrasing). He thought the writers went too easy on Walt. I took it to mean that he thought it should have been a more dramatic, violent end for Walt.

I have heard other people say (when pondering what will happen to Jesse) that Jesse will screw up again, because he makes terrible decisions and will continue to do that. He may be okay for a while, but he will eventually slip back into a bad life. Everyone seems to agree he will go to see Brock to check in on him, but some people wonder why he is so attached to Brock after barely even dating Andrea for very long.

It's just interesting to me to read the different kinds of feedback and opinions on what did happen, what will happen to the characters (which will never be seen by us anyway) and what could/should have happened. It's a fascinating discussion, I think!
I have been going round and round in emails with my brother because he overall liked the ending but he is one of those that thinks they were too easy on Walt. He wanted Jesse to blow him away! I have finally talked him down from that convincing him that it would have hurt Jesse far worse than it would have hurt Walt but he still thinks Walt is to blame for everything and should have paid a greater price.

That BrBa on Facebook is hilarious! Thank you so much for sharing Prisstina!

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #218
Prisstina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
That BrBa on Facebook is hilarious! Thank you so much for sharing Prisstina!
You're welcome. It was just too good not to share. I especially loved the part set at Elliott and Grechen's where Walt says something to the effect of "stop whining or I'll shoot you" and the next text box says "Millions of viewers are okay with this."
Old 10-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #219
Excalibur
Earning My Ears

I was overall really thrilled with the ending of Breaking Bad. I was bummed that Gomie died a few episodes earlier, but Saul and Jesse making it out alive in the end definitely makes up for it. The scene where we find out that there were no assassins and that the "snipers" were actually Badger and Skinny Pete just made me laugh just about forever. And I think the ending for Walt was the right one. He died, like he always knew he would, but in the end he DID get the money to his family, although they don't know that's how it will happen. Pretty perfect. Not as perfect a series finale as say Six Feet Under, but excellent.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #220
Prisstina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Pretty perfect. Not as perfect a series finale as say Six Feet Under, but excellent.
I'm going to (respectfully) disagree with you there, Excalibur. In terms of perfect endings, I think I'd switch BrBa and SFU, putting Breaking Bad just above Six Feet Under. Having said that, it's been a while since I've watched the Six Feet Under finale, so I'd probably have to go back and watch it just to make sure.

Not going to lie, I'm still sad about Gomie, too. Hank knew the risks because - for the most part - he knew what he was up against. Gomie, not so much. I feel like he was just backing up his partner without a true sense of what they were both walking into.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #221
low-key
DIS Veteran

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina
Music would play and Felina would whirl

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina
Wicked and evil while casting a spell
My love was deep for this Mexican maiden
I was in love but in vain, I could tell

One night a wild young cowboy came in
Wild as the West Texas wind
Dashing and daring
A drink he was sharing
With wicked Felina
The girl that I loved

So in anger I
Challenged his right for the love of this maiden
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore
My challenge was answered in less than a heart-beat
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor

Just for a moment I stood there in silence
Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there
I had but one chance and that was to run

Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran
Out where the horses were tied
I caught a good one
It looked like it could run
Up on its back
And away I did ride

Just as fast as I
Could from the West Texas town of El Paso
Out to the bad-lands of New Mexico

Back in El Paso my life would be worthless
Everything's gone in lifenothing is left
It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden
My love is stronger than my fear of death

I saddled up and away I did go
Riding alone in the dark
Maybe tomorrow
A bullet may find me
Tonight nothing's worse than this
Pain in my heart

And at last here I
Am on the hill overlooking El Paso
I can see Rosa's cantina below
My love is strong and it pushes me onward
Down off the hill to Felina I go

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys
Off to my left ride a dozen or more
Shouting and shooting I can't let them catch me
I have to make it to Rosa's back door

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle
I'm getting weary
Unable to ride

But my love for
Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen
Though I am weary I can't stop to rest
I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle
I feel the bullet go deep in my chest

From out of nowhere Felina has found me
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for
One little kiss and Felina, good-bye

Just like the song that closed out the series, Walter died fondling his true love (the lab), he would rather dies and get one last kiss from it. This is the greatest series ever it will never be rivaled

Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #222
IDoDis

Walter White's obituary is going to be in the local newspaper tomorrow right along with the other obits. Here's a sneak peak:

Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #223
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

That's great!!! I love it.

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #224
IDoDis

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta kicked off this morning. This is one of the new pins this year for the pin collectors. Balloon pin collecting out here is as big of a deal as it is with Disney pin collecting.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #225
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta kicked off this morning. This is one of the new pins this year for the pin collectors. Balloon pin collecting out here is as big of a deal as it is with Disney pin collecting.

^^^That's awesome! I love that pin! I'm generally not a big pin collector (not because I don't love the Disney pins but because there are so many of them that I would literally spend every cent I had if I really tried to plunge into the world of collecting). But every now and then I see one that really tempts me into leaving my safe world of non-collecting -- and that Ballooning Bad/Heisenberg balloon pin would be one of the tempting ones -- and I don't even live in New Mexico, nor have I been to the Balloon Fiesta. That's a great idea for a pin -- very clever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: