Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizney-cruiser View Post
What a nice surprise! I was stopping by to tease you and you already posted an update! Loving it!
Less stress at work means I have more time for DIS!
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
PrincessTrisha

Adult Dining (Palo)

I have booked Palo once for dinner and once for brunch on this cruise.

In our previous 4 cruises, we've never gone.

We've had mixed results with the upcharge dining on cruises - our 2 experiences were polar opposittes.

On Carnival we ate at the steakhouse once. It was truly fantastic! The service, the food, the whole experience was just lovely. We were each served an amuse bouche, our choice of appetizers, soup, salad, entrees and then dessert - one of the dessert choices is a piece of cheesecake the size of a small child! Oh, it was fabulous; it was $30 per person but the quality was well worth that cost.

On RCCL, we ate at the Italian restaurant. It was not very good. Although the server recommended the T-bone, mine was terrible (fatty, grisly, thin) and my dad's was nothing special. When the server asked how we enjoyed the food, my dad told him that the steaks weren't very good and the server replied, "well, that's what you get for ordering steak in an Italian restaurant!" even though it was one of 3 recommendations he made (the other was the grilled seafood and a pasta dish). My mom's lamb came well done (instead of medium rare like she ordered). The appetizer was good but desserts were all around not to our liking. My dad loves tirimisu and this was kind of like a liquid in a cup - there didn't seem to be any cake part to it and had an over abundance of alcohol (you could practically pick up and drink out of the chocolate cup). Service was non existent and we were almost completely ignored after we didn't order any alcohol.

We had good service in the MDRs on that cruise (very friendly and personable, always wanting to make sure everything was perfect) that the lackluster service in the specialty restaurant was a real stand out.

Looks pretty but it was liquidy alcohol:

After seeing the pictures on the DIS though I have high hopes for Palo brunch. I've been hesitant in the past as my mother is allergic to crab, calamari and kiwi fruit (which is used to garnish too many tarts and fruit trays) and I was very concerned about cross contamination. We've just gotten a new Epi-pen for her now so I feel a bit safer - I know disney does their best but you just never know. This is booked for the 31st (Halloween!) at 10:30am.

I'm still on the fence about Palo dinner. I'm sure it's lovely, I'm just not sure if it would be worth missing one of the rotational menus for and paying the extra $20 per person (I figure $80 total for the 3 of us plus extra tip).

It seems like every MDR menu has one favourite item for a least one of us....I mean, does my dad give up his prime rib or do I give up my grand marnier souffle? The one night that would probably work for us would be semi-formal night but we have the brunch booked for that day and I don't want to do Palo twice in one day (I think we might all explode!!). Right now, I've booked it for Monday but I think it'll depend on what our restaurant rotation is and how much we like our servers.....

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 09-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Hey Trisha, I don't know how I missed this before but I'm here now.

Looking forward to meeting your family on the cruise
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

I think you LOVE Palo! We did the Steak House on Carnival last October and we thought it was fabulous as well. I would have to say that I still enjoyed Palo more though and they are VERY attentive when it comes to allergies. I have a nut sensitivity and they were very thorough.
tow-mater-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
PrincessTrisha

Pre-ordering Fun!

Starting with the first cruise, it's become my tradition to pre-order something for the cabin. Sometimes it's as small as bottled water and sometimes it's room decorations or a cake.

On our first DCL cruise I ordered Sparkling wine and treats:

It came with this plate of treats and a bottle of Martin & Rosi Asti Spamonte. It was a fabulous way to start the cruise. I wish they still offered this as I would order it again in a heartbeat! You can still order the sparking wine but it now comes with a box of prailine chocolates - not as nice as far as I'm concerned.

When I cruised on Carnival, I was celebrating my god daughter's birthday so I ordered the birthday decorations and a bottle of champagne (that was for me!)

On my next Carnival cruise, I ordered a bottle of Vodka for me and a sun visor for Jenna (it was on sale for $5 so I couldn't resist!).

On our next DCL cruise, I just ordered 24 bottles of Evian for the room (no picture of that).

The last DCL cruise, I ordered the Bon Voyage package - it came with a cake:

The package was really nice and we still have the big magnet that came with it.

On our subsequent Carnival cruise, I again ordered a cake (it was only $7!) and on RCCL I ordered bottled water and the soda package (which came with insulated cups to be used with the Freestyle coke machines - over 100 different combinations!).

For this cruise, I decided to celebrate my Dad's 65th birthday which is in November (hey, I'm paying for the cruise anyways, might as well make it double as his birthday celebration!). Of course, my dad says to me, "Don't order anything - especially a cake - for this cruise. We don't need it"
Are you kidding me????

My dad loves cake - every cruise he is a little disappointed with the desserts because so few of them are actual "cake" (not cheesecake, not mousse cake, but actual cake and icing) so I like to get him a cake so he's happy.

Anyways, I was talking to my mother about it - and she says, "So when do you ever listen to what other people tell you to do?"

Gotta love Mom!

I've decided to order an 8 inch cake for delivery to the MDR on night 2 (which should be formal night). It'll be marble cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream icing - it'll say "Happy 65th Birthday Bill!"

And a dozen bottles of water for the cabin (yes, I know we can bring it on board ourselves but we'll already be carrying on my Dad's cpap machine, plus 24 cans of non-caffeine, non-sugar sodas plus our candy for the first day meet and greet so we'll have enough to haul on).

So when the cake arrives, he can like it or lump it but I'm pretty sure he'll eat it.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Starting with the first cruise, it's become my tradition to pre-order something for the cabin. Sometimes it's as small as bottled water and sometimes it's room decorations or a cake.

On our first DCL cruise I ordered Sparkling wine and treats:

It came with this plate of treats and a bottle of Martin & Rosi Asti Spamonte. It was a fabulous way to start the cruise. I wish they still offered this as I would order it again in a heartbeat! You can still order the sparking wine but it now comes with a box of prailine chocolates - not as nice as far as I'm concerned.
Oh My!!! I was all set to order these for our cabin until I saw it was no longer available. My lot would have loved that.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Hey Trisha, I don't know how I missed this before but I'm here now.

Looking forward to meeting your family on the cruise
You too! It seems like a really great group of people we're cruising with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow-mater-1 View Post
I think you LOVE Palo! We did the Steak House on Carnival last October and we thought it was fabulous as well. I would have to say that I still enjoyed Palo more though and they are VERY attentive when it comes to allergies. I have a nut sensitivity and they were very thorough.
Thanks. I'm excited about the Palo brunch - I think it's very much something we'll enjoy and it's great to hear about their attentiveness to allergies.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Oh My!!! I was all set to order these for our cabin until I saw it was no longer available. My lot would have loved that.
Removing this was the biggest crime that the pre-cruise gifts has every perpetrated!

Everything was so good (and that's coming from a baker's daughter and former baker). The strawberries were huge and perfectly juicy, there were two lemon squares with the perfect amount of tartness vs sweet, cheesecake squares that actually tasted like cheesecake (I find on board, most of the cheesecake tastes like they dipped the cream cheese into the batter and then took it back out so there's no cheese flavour), and fabulous butter tart, nut squares (my mom claimed them right away)
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Thanks. I'm excited about the Palo brunch - I think it's very much something we'll enjoy and it's great to hear about their attentiveness to allergies.

I'm pretty much in the same situation as your mom. I have a citrus allergy! It is difficult!! Here is what they do. . . normally, when you get to brunch, your server will give you the tour of the food . . . what is out and what your options are to order (get the chicken parm!!). But, when there is an allergy, the chef comes out, with pen/paper and gives you the tour. . . He tells me what has citrus (in my case) in it or on it (even if it is a garnish- or once he said, "this was prepared next to a dish using lemon, I would prefer to make you a fresh order") - if it is an item that I would like, he makes me fresh whatever I want!

You guys really should experience the dinner at Palo. . . especially with your dad loving steak/beef the way he does (techincally osso bucco is veal - but I bet he would enjoy it!! even though it always seems like I'm the only one that gets it!! I need more people to start trying it so they don't take it off of the menu!!). We chose to go on Pirate night. We have done that menu - plus, it is my birthday! But, if you choose to go to Palo one of the first 3 nights, on one of the other nights, you can see ask to see the menu from the other restaurant that you missed (or will miss) and your server will get you what you want.

Here are 3 entrees at Palo perfect for the 3 of you:

Osso Buco di Vitello
Slow-roasted center cut veal shank with gremolata and risotto Milanese

Oregano and Parmesan crusted rack of lamb
with sangiovese roasted shallots, olive oil baked roma tomatoes, potato torta and herb jus

Our Beef Tenderloin "Palo"
topped with melted gorgonzola cheese or Palo signature Barolo red wine sauce

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš

PS . . . I forgot about the desserts!! Everyone will tell you to get the "chocolate souffle", but I actually love the "Panna Cotta". . . but there is also a special dessert just for your dad (and if you tell them you are celebrating his birthday, he could probably get 2!)

Palo's Homemade Tiramisu
Layered Coffee-infused Ladyfinger with Mascarpone Cheese

Panna Cotta with Strawberry Basil Sorbet
custard with macerated berries

Chocolate Souffle
with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #26
PrincessTrisha

Thanks Janice for the Palo info.

I'm sure my mom would love the lamb (and they have gnoochi on the menu which she's also a fan of) and my dad would probably go for the tenderloin (maybe without the cheese though). And the Tirimisu would be perfect for my Dad

We'll probably end up doing Palo for dinner this time....
Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš

One of the fun things about dining there is your server will talk to you and get an idea of what you like and don't like - and then they will make recommendations for you - and usually offer to bring a few extra dishes for the table for all to taste

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
WhitGB
DIS Veteran

Palo-brunch

We will see you at brunch! We too are the 31st at 10:30. There are 7 of us in our group, so look for the big group. We are my DH, myself, my parents, my brother and 2 neighbors. I would tell you you to look for LOUD but we are dropping the kids to the club so volume should be normal. Can't wait!

WhitGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitGB View Post
We will see you at brunch! We too are the 31st at 10:30. There are 7 of us in our group, so look for the big group. We are my DH, myself, my parents, my brother and 2 neighbors. I would tell you you to look for LOUD but we are dropping the kids to the club so volume should be normal. Can't wait!
Since we will have a 30 minute advantage, I might be too engrossed in my food to notice anybody!! I'll be in the zone!!

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš

IT'S OCTOBER!! TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!!