Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
dsnygirl2006
DIS Veteran

Can you use dining plan and TIW card together?

Wondering if these can be used together to cover apps or additional items that are not covered by the dining plan? Also will we need to buy two separate TIW cards since my family and my mom and dad are going and the checks will be split between us?

dsnygirl2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Yes you can use TIW to cover anything that is not included with your dining plan credits.

You can use a single TIW card for up to 10 people on the same bill.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnygirl2006 View Post
Also will we need to buy two separate TIW cards since my family and my mom and dad are going and the checks will be split between us?
You can use your TiW card to cover guests dining with you. Technically, you (the TiW card holder) must be the one to pay and it cannot be applied to split checks (i.e., one card, two bills at the same table at the same time). So as long as you can square up with them after the meal, you can use your card to cover their meals and they wouldn't have to purchase their own TiW card.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Here is what will happen when you are in restaurants:

You'll get one bill for your party's dining plan expenditures.
Your parents will get a separate bill for their dining plan expenditures. (This is assuming that your parents are also on the dining plan.)
You will get one single bill for anything your entire table purchases off-plan.

If you plan on splitting the off-plan bill into one bill for you and one for your parents, then both you and your parents will need a TIW card. If you plan on just paying that bill and splitting the cost later, then you only need the one TIW card. This is according to the TIW website, which does state that the TIW member must pay the bill and that all discounted items must be on the same bill.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Wondering if these can be used together to cover apps or additional items that are not covered by the dining plan? Also will we need to buy two separate TIW cards since my family and my mom and dad are going and the checks will be split between us?
Do your parents also have APs or are DVC members or FL residents? They will need that to buy the TIW card. And you can't give them your card to pay. It has to have their name on the TIW card.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
dsnygirl2006
DIS Veteran

Yes we are both DVC and AP holders....I think we will both just get a card might be easier than having to split money up later....thanks for all the info!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes we are both DVC and AP holders....I think we will both just get a card might be easier than having to split money up later....thanks for all the info!!!
The extra card will run you an additional $50. Personally i would just figure out the split later, but do what works best for you.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure to get the $50 card you have to be in the same household. So his parents card will cost them $100 extra. Unless they go all the time I don't see how this would save them any money, a drink here and an appetizer there its going to cut it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
I'm pretty sure to get the $50 card you have to be in the same household. So his parents card will cost them $100 extra. Unless they go all the time I don't see how this would save them any money, a drink here and an appetizer there its going to cut it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking
I think you are correct. The breakeven point for the $100 card is $500 in purchases. I'd pay the bill with one card and settle the money later.

Another thing to note is that the server will check the name on the card against the name of the person submitting the card. So your parents would not be able to use your card unless you are with them. You couldn't give them your card to use at a meal for which you are not present.
Sugardimples is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
I think you are correct. The breakeven point for the $100 card is $500 in purchases. I'd pay the bill with one card and settle the money later.

Another thing to note is that the server will check the name on the card against the name of the person submitting the card. So your parents would not be able to use your card unless you are with them. You couldn't give them your card to use at a meal for which you are not present.
We just got back, and one of the things I did, was that with adult beverages, if I didn't really have any with dinner, or had one and knew I wanted to drink later in the park, you can ask for a to-go cup and order your drink during dinner. This way you can save the 20% on the drink right on your dinner bill.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post

We just got back, and one of the things I did, was that with adult beverages, if I didn't really have any with dinner, or had one and knew I wanted to drink later in the park, you can ask for a to-go cup and order your drink during dinner. This way you can save the 20% on the drink right on your dinner bill.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
the who #3
DIS Veteran

Smile tiw use

we usually use the ddp or dxdp. we enjoy the signature restaurants and i wonder if the tiw would be useful if we use ddp and tiw when going to the signature restaurants? or would it be better to just use the dxdp?
the who #3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
dsnygirl2006
DIS Veteran

Ok we might just do one card then and we are using the TIW card to pay for one meal a day OOP, so it will come in handy to have for this TS meals that the DP doesn't cover....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: