DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #46
MsTessP
Mouseketeer

I went over to the lovely, "secret" BWI pool one day. Although the community pool and Luna Park were quite crowded, there was just ONE other person at the BWI pool.

As I placed my towel and Kindle on a lounge chair and removed my sunglasses, anticipating a quick plunge in the pool, I heard the ever-increasing sound of quacks coming into the area. I looked over and grinned at the two adult ducks, along with 4 ducklings, waddling around the pool. The ducks took the long way around and seemed to be planning to head out of the area when one of the adults changed their mind. He (or she) decided to hop in and swim diagonally across the pool, hopping out on the other side and meeting up with the rest of the family. This was all adorable until I saw the brown stream in the water trailing after the duck!

I then quietly packed my things back up and headed to the community pool!

I just couldn't do it, even though I am totally aware of the fact that the chlorination in the water took care of the bacteria, probably within minutes, and that I'm sure this happens all the time in each and every one of the pools (and involves more than just ducks!)

I don't suppose that the fencing will keep the critters out, but as long as ignorance is bliss, then I will be fine.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #47
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

The also put locks on the gate after the pools are closed to keep people out so I bet that is what will happen.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #48
bianca
DIS Veteran

If they fence in the pool, but not the hot tubs, I can foresee nothing but problems. I already take issue with the large volume of children in the hot tubs and shudder to think of all the kids that would re-locate to the hot tubs if the pool is not available. Does not sound like a winning scenario to me. Makes the jacuzzi tub in the room look all the more appealing.
6/78-offsite. And most of the rest at "The Fort" ....... 11/95, 2/97, 11/97, 12/97, 2/98, 11/98, 12/98, 2/99, 11/99, 12/99, 12/2000, 10/2001, 5/2002, 12/2002, 2/2003, 10/2003, 2/2004, 12/2004, 11/2005, 10/2006, 12/2006, 8/2007, 10/2007 (Saratoga), 12/2007, 3/2008 (HHI), 10/2009 (HHI), 11/2009, 10/2010 (OKW), 9/11 (AKV), 10/11 (AKV), 2/12 (BLT), 9/12 (VB), 12/12 (AKV) , 2/13 (AKV) 5/13 (VB), 10/13 (AKV), 1/14 (SSR), 5/14 (Aulani) and 11/14 (AKV)!
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #49
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
If they fence in the pool, but not the hot tubs, I can foresee nothing but problems. I already take issue with the large volume of children in the hot tubs and shudder to think of all the kids that would re-locate to the hot tubs if the pool is not available. Does not sound like a winning scenario to me. Makes the jacuzzi tub in the room look all the more appealing.

NOW that's a fence i would enjoy. A gate on the hot tub that only opens for grownup magic bands.
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #50
DizzyStitch
Mouseketeer

Disney adulthood starts at 10. Bummer still kids in the hot tub.
Pop Century May 2006Pop Century September 2006Pop Century September 2007All Star Music September 2008Pop Century September 2009Free Dining Bounce Back Pop Century August 2010 Universal June 2012DVC Boardwalk Villas June 2013 DVC SSR June 2014
DizzyStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #51
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyStitch View Post
Disney adulthood starts at 10. Bummer still kids in the hot tub.
Nope, adulthood still starts at 18 at Disney. A ten year old is just a guest 10+, not an adult. Otherwise you would be paying extra to have that ten year old in the room.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #52
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Nope, adulthood still starts at 18 at Disney. A ten year old is just a guest 10+, not an adult. Otherwise you would be paying extra to have that ten year old in the room.
not to track too far off but it is funny how they have different ages for different things. They are still "child" on the hotel side of things. On the dining reservations on MDE they do call 12-17 year olds "Adults"- not sure if the cutoff is 10 or 12. And their (and the adults) tickets do say "10+"

Maybe they should call it - "child" and "old enough to really charge a lot for"
Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #53
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
I think this is not only a much needed but much welcome change. Sure, it would be nice to sit out by the pool after 11:00, but for those in the villas near those 'quiet' pools, it's nice to know there won't be large loud groups after 11:00. I can think of one area in particular this is an issue....Turtle Pond pool at OKW!
Easily remedied by a call to the front desk. All the "quiet" pools have signs about keeping the noise down at night.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #54
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
NOW that's a fence i would enjoy. A gate on the hot tub that only opens for grownup magic bands.
Wouldn't that be nice....
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW, 14-CBR
15-BLT
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #55
Donna M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmillerbarilla View Post
Wouldn't that be nice....
It sure would be
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #56
Murron
Murron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTessP View Post
I went over to the lovely, "secret" BWI pool one day. Although the community pool and Luna Park were quite crowded, there was just ONE other person at the BWI pool.

As I placed my towel and Kindle on a lounge chair and removed my sunglasses, anticipating a quick plunge in the pool, I heard the ever-increasing sound of quacks coming into the area. I looked over and grinned at the two adult ducks, along with 4 ducklings, waddling around the pool. The ducks took the long way around and seemed to be planning to head out of the area when one of the adults changed their mind. He (or she) decided to hop in and swim diagonally across the pool, hopping out on the other side and meeting up with the rest of the family. This was all adorable until I saw the brown stream in the water trailing after the duck!

I then quietly packed my things back up and headed to the community pool!

I just couldn't do it, even though I am totally aware of the fact that the chlorination in the water took care of the bacteria, probably within minutes, and that I'm sure this happens all the time in each and every one of the pools (and involves more than just ducks!)

I don't suppose that the fencing will keep the critters out, but as long as ignorance is bliss, then I will be fine.
We were at BWV early September for a couple of weeks and had momma duck and 3 ducklings in the BWV quiet community pool. It was cute at first and then the ... umm...."droppings" in the pool were just incredible. Lifeguards closed it down for about an hour to vac it out and then reopened it. I was somewhat surprised Disney did not find a way to dissuade the ducks from coming back to the pool. It was an every day routine for the 14 days we were there. A bit icky.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #57
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murron View Post
We were at BWV early September for a couple of weeks and had momma duck and 3 ducklings in the BWV quiet community pool. It was cute at first and then the ... umm...."droppings" in the pool were just incredible. Lifeguards closed it down for about an hour to vac it out and then reopened it. I was somewhat surprised Disney did not find a way to dissuade the ducks from coming back to the pool. It was an every day routine for the 14 days we were there. A bit icky.
maybe they didn't want to disturb the babies? I've seen the critter patrol come and deal with a couple things over the years.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #58
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murron View Post
...I was somewhat surprised Disney did not find a way to dissuade the ducks from coming back to the pool. It was an every day routine for the 14 days we were there. A bit icky.
The area belonged to the ducks before people took it over.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #59
the who #3
DIS Veteran

Smile pool fencing

one of my favorite things to do is stop by the hot tub on the way back from a late night in the park and lit on the edge with my feet and legs in the hot tub. this is what my grand son and i do after a emh at the magic kingdom.

but that being said, i understand the reason that disney needs that protection. a lot of parents let the kids run a little looser than others. adults have also been know to be careless around pools when they have been partying or when they have medical issues. this prevents needing a life guard at all hours. after all the liability is great!
the who #3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #60
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

With our recent KV stay we came to the hot tub and pool most nights around 10pm or later. The first night there was hardly anyone there. Over the next few nights it increased and all people were well behaved and generally most were gone by 11pm. I too love to come to the hot tub at night we spend a large amount of tin by the pool both in the am and in the evening. I had more of a problem with the coke dispenser not open or on at 10am by the pool.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: