Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #856
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Speaking of, as I mentioned a bit ago, I am headed your way next month. I will be PMing you on FB with details
Oooh...can't wait to hear from you (just pray it is not the one weekend we are going to Dubuque).
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #857
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
What a gorgeous baby and lovely lovely name! Good size too, she beats Evan by 2 oz

Congratulations Claire, she is precious and welcome Princess Freya!!!!
Well I think so!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #858
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I had a baby girl on 11th September, she weighed 9lb 8oz and we've named her Freya Evangeline.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #859
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
Wow, not one of your typical relaxing Hawaii updates. I was worn out just reading about all that walking, especially with meat grinders on your feet!!! So glad you at least got to enjoy some good meals and sightseeing along the way!
I did fit in what I could, but no it wasn't relaxing lol!

Quote:
Sorry you might become an outcast having to go away to such horrible locales for work more often in the future! Good you were able to pitch in and take one for the team like that.........
Yep, that's me, taking it for the team! LOL! 2nd day in Vegas at a seminar my feet are so tired it's room service tonight! LONG day.

Quote:
I knew they made bowls for important things like cereal and ice cream, but olives???
Yep! Olives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Oooh...can't wait to hear from you (just pray it is not the one weekend we are going to Dubuque).
I've got it on my calendar!

Quote:
Well I think so!
So did I read you are taking a year off? How perfectly fabulous is that!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #860
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Yep, that's me, taking it for the team! LOL! 2nd day in Vegas at a seminar my feet are so tired it's room service tonight! LONG day.
Now I understand why it takes you a while between updates and you get behind on other's TRs. Are you ever at home for more than a week?

Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #861
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Now I understand why it takes you a while between updates and you get behind on other's TRs. Are you ever at home for more than a week?

This is my busy season for work and it doesn't help I've had 2 personal trips in the mix! I should be home in November.....

And the 2nd week of Oct. Plus it's soccer season so that doesn't help.

I am SO behind everywhere it's scary
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #862
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia, I am finally caught up on your TR!! That work trip walking sounds just crazy!! I do lots of walking, too. But never in heels as it just kills my feet! That's what ballerina flats (with soft soles, not hard ones!) are for in my opinion!

I nearly fainted when I looked at the pictures of your stairway/tram adventure! I would not have been able to make it over that "bridge". But if there is a detour, I might attempt getting up there when I am at Hawaii, the view was wonderful! I know a lot about what walking up and down stairs do to your legs. We used to do a lot of hiking along the coast in Cornwall (UK) and that was a constant up and down the cliffs. Often the trail would consist of stairs. Never as many as yours at one time, but over a day you would collect many of them! We came to hate them!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #863
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thank you

Quote:

So did I read you are taking a year off? How perfectly fabulous is that!
Yep, UK maternity leave is so much better than what you guys get, i'm really lucky.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #864
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hi Cynthia, I am finally caught up on your TR!! That work trip walking sounds just crazy!! I do lots of walking, too. But never in heels as it just kills my feet! That's what ballerina flats (with soft soles, not hard ones!) are for in my opinion!
I can't wear the ballerina flats, they are cute but they hurt my feet! Too flat and I think somehow because of my high arches I walways have huge issues iwth them rubbing the backs of my heels. I have a few pair and really only one is semi livable for long periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I nearly fainted when I looked at the pictures of your stairway/tram adventure! I would not have been able to make it over that "bridge". But if there is a detour, I might attempt getting up there when I am at Hawaii, the view was wonderful! I know a lot about what walking up and down stairs do to your legs. We used to do a lot of hiking along the coast in Cornwall (UK) and that was a constant up and down the cliffs. Often the trail would consist of stairs. Never as many as yours at one time, but over a day you would collect many of them! We came to hate them!
The bridge was scary but from what I could see the detour looked scary too! It is a VERY good leg workout but it is work that is for sure!

Quote:
Thank you

Yep, UK maternity leave is so much better than what you guys get, i'm really lucky.
That's amazing. I had no idea it was a full year!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #865
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Almost live from Waikiki!!

The next day went as these things go and by all accounts (aka mine) was successful. The location was arguably nicer than my hotel and I was a little cranky at my co worker who had "dissed" it offering to get me Kamiana rates (local) at somewhere better. Which he didn't follow through on and when I went to book, their rates had gone up. My hotel was only 3 blocks away so it wasn't a big deal and even at the rate I’d missed…the new located was less so a bit more responsible for the company. Plus, in some ways just that much more centrally located for all that walking. Of course during the day work intruded and I found myself online at breaks and then back at the hotel working away. At 4 pm though, the most critical of things complete I said...screw it, changed and left.

And headed east.

To Waikiki!

Let’s go for a walk!

First lagoon past the Marina that I could see from my lanai

Looking back, the tall buildings are the Hawaii Prince where my event had been held.

Can't get away from the Ducks

Diamond Head sighting

I don't think you can go to Hawaii, be anywhere near a beach, and not come across at least one wedding! I tried to channel my inner Mary Ellen but the angle was off unless I'd obviously stopped and taken pictures...it's not so cool if they can see what you are doing. LOL!

These guys were setting up for something

I liked the side of this resort

You really feel the military presence everywhere. From all the national guard on my plane on their way to a conference, from parks like this next to the beach.

This stretch of beach, northwest I guess from Waikiki was just lovely and not crowded!

Cute bars and restaurants and resorts along here but just a little bit away from the madness. On one part, kind of a narrow bridge where the water came right up to the edge of the seawall I saw a crowd of people so of course, I stopped too.

TURTLE!

Seriously, right there! Of course he didn't pop up again for me to snap his picture but it was darn cool and very unexpected. He was HUGE!

Not too far past the turtle I could see...

The madness starting

Just a few people in the water!

Love this

My plan had been to head down to the Hula Grill. I'd done a bit of poking around before leaving, liked the reviews and the menu. I stayed Oceanside for my walk.

It is a lovely walk, not quite 2 miles to the heart of Waikiki. Beach side it is partial path, partial narrow bridge and partial must walk in the sand/surf. Much as I wanted to walk in the sand, and feel the surf…oh my feet were a bit less thrilled. Still, it was lovely!

Arriving at my destination I realized that it was upstairs, not on the beach level as I'd thought. Dukes, it’s "sister" was on the beach level. It too had great reviews but was a bit pricier than I’d been looking for. There was a beach side bar, also part of Dukes

I didn't love the looks of it and I really wanted one place for both a drink and then dinner in a bit. So I wandered inside and up to the Hula Grill. Still liked the menu and the prices much better but ambiance wise, Dukes had it beat by a landslide, and the bar area was much more happening…and close to the live music!

So to the bar I went. And found there was a lighter (and less expensive bar menu). Score!

Perfect combination of atmosphere, live music from the beachside bar, sun, sunset, good food and drinks. I started with a Mai Tai because well, I was in Hawaii, it was Friday, and it would seem wrong to not have one.

It was ok. I'd ordered it at the bar and saw a table open up and POUNCED on it. The place was packed.

I sat, read my Kindle, facebooked a bit and enjoyed the scenery and the live music.

The sun started to make its way to my table

After perusing the menu

I asked what the fish in the fish tacos were (yes, I am that predictable...I had them for lunch today in Vegas lol!). I had my choice of mahi (blackened or grilled) or the “fresh fish” which today was Opah. DONE! Blackened Opah Tacos ordered along with a Big Swell IPA. Though not ideal for me to have a beer and I might pay for it a little later, it is not one we can ever get at home and I didn't have one in May.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-27-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #866
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Almost live from Waikiki! Con't.

Continued from previous

Besides I needed the torture Jeff picture.

She brought my beer while there was still just a tiny bit left of my Mai Tai and asked if I was done. At $9 a glass no…I’ll suck the ice thanks! She laughed but couldn’t leave the beer until it was gone. That was a first as far as I can recall.

I enjoyed my beer, my kindle, the music, the sun and relatively soon, my tacos.

Belly happy and band finished up I settled the tab. Time to see if I could get that elusive sunset that hid from me in May.

Of course while this was going on (me trying to take sunset pictures) I get a call from Evan. He is at the football game, about thread to get picked up and can't get a hold of Jeff. Who was at my sisters with Eric for a birthday party for her BF. She has HORRIBLE reception and it was loud and…we are pretty sure his phone doesn't ring half the time and the vibrate function doesn't seem to work. I think we both have issues in that area, we each missed a ton of calls in San Fran last weekend trying to coordinate with friends.
Pickup coordinated and little boys calmed down (ok medium sized boy) I got back to my sunset.

And toes in the sand

I attempted a selfie, these never turn out!

Sigh. Just beautiful! Amazingly busy too…guess there is no such thing as an "off" season in Waikiki!

Bye Bye sun!

A funny thing had happened during my time at Dukes. I’d gone to "check in" on Facebook and it tried to check me in at Margaritaville. Apparently it was just across the street. I'd not seen it since I walked down entirely on the beach side. Entering the hotel I popped into a shop that had caught my eye, it was full of Pan Am stuff and I couldn't resist.

A tee shirt for Jeff later, I finally figured out how to get out of the hotel and across the street. It is a funny location; you take an elevator up, then basically have to walk through the restaurant and bar to get to the host stand, only to then turn around to go to the bar in my case. It was HUGE. Like too big huge. Had much more of a chain feel than the Orlando one does, to me. Much more modern too…like Buffet meets South Beach Decor….it lost a little in translation. Giant wall of TV's showing Buffet TV was fun but no DJ, no live music, no volcano. And it was Saturday night! I think there was music scheduled, I was just too early.

I had a "boat drink" at the bar and with that it was time to go home.

It was quite tasty, far better than the Mai Tai at Dukes. The bartender was sweet and modified it a little after we chatted about my options. I do wish I'd gotten a slice of pineapple in it like you see in the menu. Interestingly enough despite all the fish I ate...not one slice of pineapple this trip.

Walking out I looked for the retail store (not that Jeff needed anything else lol!) and didn't see one. Nor did I see any signage for one. Down on the street one small sign mentioned an intersection that it was located at but once there...no sign of it. Just as well really. All in all I am glad I popped in but very glad I ate at Dukes and not there. Much as I love Buffett, the atmosphere and food across the street was everything I’d wanted and more.
I walked back, this time on the "shopping" side of Waikiki. It was crazy busy and I'd honestly forgotten what a mecca it is of high end shops, malls, dining etc. After my lazy may trip and my solo days it was a bit of sensory overload but not necessarily in a bad way. This guy cracked me up.

What's even funnier is I saw an Elmo on Wednesday night in Vegas as well. Is this a trend???

It was a nice walk, at the Fort I cut back over to the water and enjoyed my last night. Just past the park I found these guys twirling flames on the beach

I got a little stuck and ended up at the Modern hotel by accident by trying to take an upper path

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-27-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #867
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Almost live from Waikiki! Con't.

Continued from previous

And then I did venture too far out on the marina and had to backtrack but that's ok. As I closed in on my hotel and the mall I marveled at the traffic.

And then reminded myself it was Friday night!

I was back in the room by 9 and out cold by 10.

I had hoped to be up early to run before heading to the airport. The feet were uncomfortable enough that sleep was not as deep as it might otherwise have been and I woke up a few times. When the alarm went off, I did not bounce out of bed. I did get up but made my coffee and took my time waking up, having half a cup and re bandaging my feet. I was out the door by 7:10 but 6:30 had been my goal.

It was a bit cloudy

One of the best things about my location was how close it was to a lovely little trail. I’d mapped it out, it wouldn't be a long run but it was probably all my feet could, or should handle. As I got going, it started to rain. There is nothing like Hawaii rain. Misty for the most part, and warm. Rounding the corner of the park I decided I had to take a few pictures, something I pretty much never stop to do when running.

See the rain on my sunglasses?

Pretty sure Aulani is at the end of the rainbow

My original plan was to do to my run, then head to the mall to try a local coffee spot I’d spotted. As I finished it occurred to me that it might not be open yet. It was about 7:40 and sure enough after a google search I confirmed that it didn't open until 8. However there wasn't a coffee bar in my hotel and the stuff I’d made in the room would be cold. Hmmn. What to do? The 20 minutes would get me behind as well, I had plans to pack, shower and then head to breakfast before my 10:25 shuttle arrived.
I needed coffee. I decided to wait. I wandered into the mall, taking my time and made my way over there about 10 till to check it out. It did NOT look like it was going to be opening anytime soon.

On my walk to it, I had noticed a kiosk on an upper level for a different local chain. Maybe they were open? A quick google search confirmed that the kiosk was open!

That’s as close to Aulani as I got!

I went for the Nutty Hawaiian. A big departure for me but I had them tone down the syrup (macademia nut) and use soy to try to lessen the sugar onslaught. I rarely do sugar and it hits me hard.

It was delicious!

Very happy with my choice I headed back and did all the not so fun things involved with packing. I didn’t move as fast as I should have, I couldn’t help but have part of the coffee on the lanai before I made myself hop in the shower

As it approached 9 and I worried about my ability to fit in breakfast I decided a change in plans was in order. I'd be taking an extra duffle bag back with me that had some of the show materials I would need for an event in October. The thought of wrestling that, with a shuttle and multiple stops and other people was not appealing. Screw the shuttle, I was going to have breakfast on my terms and take a cab!

I had scoped out some options and decided upon the Wailana Coffee House, it had rave reviews and wasn't too far though was heading back towards Waikiki. It is basically a Hawaiian Denny’s or IHOP.

Big line but it moved pretty fast and shortly I found myself at the counter checking out the specials

Three kinds of syrup and a guava juice...serious sugar overload

I had wanted the Portuguese Sweet Bread French toast but got talked into the special, which was that, filled with orange marmalade, bacon and one egg.

Topped with coconut syrup it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though I did find myself in a food coma or sugar crash a bit later lol!

Breakfast done I boogied back to the hotel, got my stuff, grabbed a cab and headed to the airport. That part was painless. The line for security, not so much! I was entertained by the woman in front of me. I love heels. I do NOT love heels walking through the airport and this poor woman looked like she was going to topple over when she walked!

Finally through, I still had an hour which I'd kind of planned on. With checkout at 11 and all the work stuff I had, it wasn't really practical to stay downtown. Instead I planned to hit Kona Brewing, and do a little work.

So I did!
And tortured Jeff one last time

But not much work was done. No wi fi!

Rats.

I read, got on the plane and ordered my last taste of Hawaii, the famous Alaska airlines Kalua pork skillet.

Pretty darn good for 6 bucks!

Jeff met me at the airport and with that, this Hawaiian adventure was over.The actual shirt Jeff ended up with.

Next I'll get back to the official TR adventure plus some trip updates and a DIS meet!

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-27-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #868
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Sorry about your feet.
I love Duck Tours. Have done 3 so far.
The beach pics are gorgeous.
It looked like a nice business trip beside the feet situation.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #869
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I thought I had commented on your poor feet, but can't find it now! Sorry about that.

Looks like a nice trip, but I cannot believe all the walking you did. And then going for a run on your last morning there!

Good choice on taking a taxi to the airport and not be rushed! Oh, and Tom would have LOVED your choice of beverage at the airport!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #870
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Oh, I love the story of your Hawaii work trip second part! I really like what I saw of the more city like part of the island as compared to Aulani. I am seriously scheming for Hawaii in 2015 (already have grand ideas for 2014 and need to save up some points) and am thinking of combining Aulani with other destinations. Oh, and I still have the idea of the Seattle stopover on the back of my mind!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: