Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #121
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 12,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
$306 for 12/4-11 coming up for me at Alamo standard now, using insider ID and $30 off.
Your dates drop to under $200 if you return to Dolphin too.
__________________
lovesdumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #122
mkymouse40
Mouseketeer
 
mkymouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263

Can you take ME one way (back to airport)? It looks like you all are suggesting picking up at MCO and returning to the Dolphin and taking ME from there to the airport.
__________________


Nancy


mkymouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #123
mkymouse40
Mouseketeer
 
mkymouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263

Mine went up $200 by changing my dropoff to the Dolphin.
__________________


Nancy


mkymouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #124
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse40 View Post
Mine went up $200 by changing my dropoff to the Dolphin.
National often charges more for one way rentals.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #125
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,924

Dollar is back down again right now for anyone looking. It doesn't seem to cover the dates very close to, or over Christmas. My dates are the 13th to the 22nd and it's at the 198.00 I booked for the other day.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #126
mkymouse40
Mouseketeer
 
mkymouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263

I hope this isn't a sign that rental car prices have bottomed out. My Alamo reservations went up as follows: Full size car increased $137; Full size SUV increased $100, and a MiniVan increased $143.

I've been hoping they were going down some more.
__________________


Nancy


mkymouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #127
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse40 View Post
I hope this isn't a sign that rental car prices have bottomed out. My Alamo reservations went up as follows: Full size car increased $137; Full size SUV increased $100, and a MiniVan increased $143.

I've been hoping they were going down some more.
Dollar hasn't been coming down in the evenings anymore. Everything is higher again for my dates. We usually go in August, and the pattern I noticed over the years is that rates would do a big drop at about 6 weeks out, and then again right before leaving. I usually got the best rate at 6 weeks out.
So I will continue to watch, but already the December patter is different than what I am used to, and I don't think the same things will hold true.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #128
miksicnarf
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 255

Priceline

Just wanted to share that I got a great deal with Priceline yesterday. I've tried bidding for a car on PL in the past but they'd never accept a bid as low as I could get elsewhere. Yesterday I got a coupon in email for an additional $3/day toward my bid, so I figured I'd give it another shot--went with what I thought was a totally lowball offer of $15/day for a minivan, and it was accepted! Comes to $178 total, all fees included, for the week with Hertz...our dates are 12/10-17.

I used to scour the internet for codes and try every one with every rental company, but recently I've found I can get the same rates at Costco.com. It still requires checking repeatedly, booking and cancelling as the rate decreases, but at least you only have to check one site. Before I scored the PL deal I had a minivan with Enterprise through Costco for $244 total and a fullsize for $160 (not sure how many people are going) which I thought was pretty good.
__________________
kim
miksicnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #129
lilaggie2002
Earning My Ears
 
lilaggie2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 56

Renting a Car to Drive from Texas to Florida

I'm on the hunt too for a great deal. Right now we are looking at around $400 for a rental. We are leaving on the 29th and would return the car back to it's original location on Sunday December 8th. I would appreciate any help in finding a better deal. This is my first time to rent a car for a long trip and the $400 was for a standard size car. :S
lilaggie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #130
mkymouse40
Mouseketeer
 
mkymouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 263

lilaggie2002...there are so many factors involved in finding the best deal. When you check prices, be sure to check the difference between picking up at your local airport versus a rental car company in the immediate area and surrounding area. For instance, I live outside of Washington, DC in Northern Virginia. Renting a car in my actual small town can be higher than renting in a city closer to the airport.

Additionally, if you belong to Bjs, Costco, or Sam's Clubs, try their savings. I know that AAA and AARP also rent, but I have found their prices to be higher.

If you join the Alamo Insider's Club, you get an additional driver for free. This could really help you out to be able to share the driving from Texas.

You just need to play around with offers and coupons and make multiple reservations. Then you need to check almost daily to see if and when the prices go down and book again and cancel the earlier reservations. Just be sure you get Unlimited mileage, which is not always available from your local companies.

Good Luck.
__________________


Nancy


mkymouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #131
lilaggie2002
Earning My Ears
 
lilaggie2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse40 View Post
lilaggie2002...there are so many factors involved in finding the best deal. When you check prices, be sure to check the difference between picking up at your local airport versus a rental car company in the immediate area and surrounding area. For instance, I live outside of Washington, DC in Northern Virginia. Renting a car in my actual small town can be higher than renting in a city closer to the airport.

Additionally, if you belong to Bjs, Costco, or Sam's Clubs, try their savings. I know that AAA and AARP also rent, but I have found their prices to be higher.

If you join the Alamo Insider's Club, you get an additional driver for free. This could really help you out to be able to share the driving from Texas.

You just need to play around with offers and coupons and make multiple reservations. Then you need to check almost daily to see if and when the prices go down and book again and cancel the earlier reservations. Just be sure you get Unlimited mileage, which is not always available from your local companies.

Good Luck.
Thank you!! That's all great advice and gives me a great starting point!
lilaggie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #132
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust
 
Itinkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Posts: 6,583

Booked Alamo via Priceline (no bidding) for Dec 4 MCO - Dec 11 Dolphin $209 for a mid-size. Will keep looking when the dates get closer.
__________________
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #133
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
Booked Alamo via Priceline (no bidding) for Dec 4 MCO - Dec 11 Dolphin $209 for a mid-size. Will keep looking when the dates get closer.
Are you able to cancel when you book directly with Priceline and don't use the bidding feature?
We've used the "Name Your Own Price" option a few times, but we wait until the last minute because once we do there is no cancellation policy.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #134
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Are you able to cancel when you book directly with Priceline and don't use the bidding feature?
We've used the "Name Your Own Price" option a few times, but we wait until the last minute because once we do there is no cancellation policy.
I believe you can cancel as long as you don't use the Name Your Own Price option.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #135
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust
 
Itinkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Posts: 6,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Are you able to cancel when you book directly with Priceline and don't use the bidding feature? We've used the "Name Your Own Price" option a few times, but we wait until the last minute because once we do there is no cancellation policy.
Yes, you can easily cancel off of the confirmation page as it goes directly through Alamo.

I actually canceled my first reservation, 12/4 - 12/09, when I realized I could get the full week for only $10 more.
__________________
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.