Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Justplainmk
Earning My Ears

First Day of DCP

Hey all! Yesterday I got accepted into Spring Advantage for Attractions at Walt Disney World! Ahh!! I am still reeling from the news. I have so many questions. But in wondering, for those who have done the program recently, what's the first day like? Move in day and getting your position and meeting people? Do you get a physical or a drug test? Do a lot of people bring their parents or does everyone go solo? Should I try and find a roommate ahead of time or just wing it? If I'm by myself, will I be able to get places without a car? How's the public transportation? Do they do fingerprinting? Background checks? Ahhh!! I'm going crazy.
Justplainmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
NHSchool2012
DCP Alumni -- Earned my Ears!

the first day is crazy and long. i was one of the people lined up at 3 in the morning outside of Vista to check in at 7, and it was freezing. i know that florida gets cold, but 39 degrees is a bit much. meeting people isn't hard because everyone's excited and ready to move in and everyone's talking about being in florida, so no worries there. some roles require drug tests, but not all. it depends on your role. but that'll happen on the first day too at casting if you need one for your role. lots of people ahve their parents with them, but not checking in. my dad and i stayed across the street from vista so i walked over at 3 and waited until i finished, around 10-11, and went to patterson to move everything in. after that, i drove him to the airport to go home and then went back to finish unpacking. i went in blind for roommates just because i didn't meet anyone on facebook that worked out, but it was great. i had 5 roommates and i originally wanted 1 so badly, but i'm so happy i got 5. it was an amazing experience. by yourself you'll have a hard time getting places unless you meet someone with a car because you're new to the area and aren't working yet, but it can be done. there's an outlet mall and grocery store by patterson and chatham, across the street from the commons. vista has a walgreens and some other small stores around it within walking distance, but no malls or anything. fingerprinting - yes. at casting when you do paperwork. background check - yes. at casting as well.

it was an amazing experience, i want to go back so badly. you're going to love it. be open to everything and meeting everyone. i thought i was going to hate my roommates when i first met them, but just be open. most of them were awesome guys, we had tons of fun.
NHSchool2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
TrueDisney
DCP Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSchool2012 View Post
the first day is crazy and long. i was one of the people lined up at 3 in the morning outside of Vista to check in at 7, and it was freezing. i know that florida gets cold, but 39 degrees is a bit much. meeting people isn't hard because everyone's excited and ready to move in and everyone's talking about being in florida, so no worries there. some roles require drug tests, but not all. it depends on your role. but that'll happen on the first day too at casting if you need one for your role. lots of people ahve their parents with them, but not checking in. my dad and i stayed across the street from vista so i walked over at 3 and waited until i finished, around 10-11, and went to patterson to move everything in. after that, i drove him to the airport to go home and then went back to finish unpacking. i went in blind for roommates just because i didn't meet anyone on facebook that worked out, but it was great. i had 5 roommates and i originally wanted 1 so badly, but i'm so happy i got 5. it was an amazing experience. by yourself you'll have a hard time getting places unless you meet someone with a car because you're new to the area and aren't working yet, but it can be done. there's an outlet mall and grocery store by patterson and chatham, across the street from the commons. vista has a walgreens and some other small stores around it within walking distance, but no malls or anything. fingerprinting - yes. at casting when you do paperwork. background check - yes. at casting as well. it was an amazing experience, i want to go back so badly. you're going to love it. be open to everything and meeting everyone. i thought i was going to hate my roommates when i first met them, but just be open. most of them were awesome guys, we had tons of fun.
Well now they have a DORMS system so the rooms are all figured out. You don't have to line up for it now. The only thing I'm wondering is how do we know where we go to park and meet our trainers if we have a role outside a park
TrueDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
NHSchool2012
DCP Alumni -- Earned my Ears!

Your first schedule will tell you where to meet your trainers. You'll get it at casting and they go over it with you and explain how the first few days will play out until you're really start to work.
NHSchool2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
TrueDisney
DCP Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSchool2012 View Post
Your first schedule will tell you where to meet your trainers. You'll get it at casting and they go over it with you and explain how the first few days will play out until you're really start to work.
Thanks . That's the only thing I never see people mention
TrueDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

The first day is one of the most exhausting, overwhelming days ever but also one of the most exciting and best days.

What's the first day like? Formalities, paperwork, apartment keys, car tags, drug testing, etc. You find out where you're working, your roommates, you move in, and so on.

Move in day and getting your position and meeting people? You will meet TONS of people in line. Don't be shy, I met one girl, we found out we were both working at Hollywood and everytime I see her we have a quick chat. Friends are easy.

Do you get a physical or a drug test? Only if the role requires a drug test will you have to get one. It's not a big deal.

Do a lot of people bring their parents or does everyone go solo? There is an area for parents to sit at. It was pretty half and half. My mom came and sat in the car, it's a very long process so make the decision that's best for you.

Should I try and find a roommate ahead of time or just wing it? Depends on your personality. I found 3 of my roommates beforehand and then we ended up with 2 random ones. I love the roommates I found on FB but I also love our random roommates (who ended up being Australian).

If I'm by myself, will I be able to get places without a car? Absolutely.

How's the public transportation? Disney provides transportation for everything you need.

Do they do fingerprinting? Background checks? Yes and yes, they are formalities of the day. Boring but necessary, nothing to worry about.

The entire day is lines, paperwork, information, lines, buses, moving, unpacking, exhaustion. It's a whirlwind, but don't let it scare you. It's a ton of fun.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Justplainmk
Earning My Ears

Do you know what kind of drug test it is? Gosh that makes me sound like such a drug addict.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Justplainmk
Earning My Ears

I just don't want to blow this internship on a stupid mistake four months previous.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I worked at Fantasyland Attraction. Congrats on getting Attractions Role. I loved my time there. Good Luck!

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
keymon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justplainmk View Post
I just don't want to blow this internship on a stupid mistake four months previous.
Well if it was four months ago, chances are whatever it was has been forgotten by your body.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
keypooh90
Lovatic

The first day is long and exhausting but fun too. It's lots of meetings and craziness and unpacking and bus rides, etc. Enjoy it though! Talk to the people you are in line with!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Justplainmk
Earning My Ears

I am just freaking out because once the interview process got serious I immediately stopped doing what I was doing because I would never jeopardize this valuable chance or someone's vacation because of some stupid drug. I'm just freaking out because I don't want to show up at Disney, have them take a hair test and then have them kick me out, because I would then have on where to live and be a semester behind in school for nothing. Obviously this is just paranoia. But still...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
doitforlove
x0x0 Disney Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justplainmk View Post
I am just freaking out because once the interview process got serious I immediately stopped doing what I was doing because I would never jeopardize this valuable chance or someone's vacation because of some stupid drug. I'm just freaking out because I don't want to show up at Disney, have them take a hair test and then have them kick me out, because I would then have on where to live and be a semester behind in school for nothing. Obviously this is just paranoia. But still...
Hair tests are very expensive. They are not going to do one for a minimum wage worker. IF you get a drug test it will be a urine test.

Spring 2014 Group Sales Professional Intern
Recent Trips:
Sept'11 @ CBR; Sept'12 @ POP; Sept'13 @ CSR
doitforlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: