Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Ormonster
Earning My Ears

Nervous first time solo

Hi everyone. I'm starting to feel a little nervous about my upcoming trip to Disney World next week. I had signed up to do the Tower of Terror 10 Miler but due to an injury I haven't been able to train and decided to skip the race and just enjoy a long weekend at Disney. I'll be arriving Friday the 4th and leaving Monday morning. I just feel like it might be weird for a 41 year old man to be wandering the parks alone. It's probably just nerves but I'm hoping for a little reassurance and maybe some hints and tips to better enjoy my weekend.

I'm staying on site and even got a ticket for MNSSHP for the 4th. Thanks so much.
Ormonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
THE NAUTILUS
Earning My Ears

Sorry for your injury. Don't be worried, I see so many people at Disney that are walking the parks by themselves. Go and enjoy, so much to see and do even by one person. Hope all works out well
THE NAUTILUS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
ludari
DIS Veteran

I too will be traveling solo next week to WDW for TOT. I am still recovering from an injury and will probably walk more than I will run, nevertheless I know I can complete the 10-miles within the required time limit. I would suggest you attempt do to the race if you are still registered instead of letting your race entry lapse. If you don't finish they will transport you to Hollywood Studio to enjoy the post-race villain party festivities until 4am. I've done so many solo Disney races its hard to count them all and I've always have a great time.

Attending MNSSHP is a nice touch and if your up to it I would suggest if you can pull it together in time wear a costume for the event. I would also recommend exploring some of the other resorts.

FYI - My travel plans sound similar to yours. Same travel dates, staying on property and to top it off I'm older than you. Age is just a number and only you can make yourself feel uncomfortable being alone.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Ormonster
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have been waffling back and forth whether to attempt the race as my last and longest run this year was in May where I did the 5 mile Boston's Run to Remember. I think I am just going to give it a go with no expectation and just enjoy the experience of being there.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
winthropf
Mouseketeer

I'm well past 50 and have made more solo trips than I can quickly count. Relax and become a big kid and enjoy yourself. Even though I have been on solo trips, I have had some great conversations with people and have met people from all over the world, especially during the Food & Wine Festival.
winthropf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Another one chiming in to encourage you to go ahead and do what you can at the TOT 10 mile race. Don't hurt yourself or push yourself further than you need to. As previously mentioned, they will transport you to the party, and you will have fun. Disney Runs are so much fun. Since you have already paid for it, do what you can and then party.
Also want to let you know, if you don't, that you can enter the park after 4PM with your MNSSHP ticket. So that can be a lot of fun. Stay for the second parade if you are not too tired--it is less crowded than the first parade.
Bring your camera, and get pictures, even if you are not in them. You will see characters only at this party, like all 7 dwarves together. Ask anyone to take your picture if you want to be in it--don't be shy, people will happily do it.
As for age, don't worry. There are SO MANY solo travelers, of a variety of ages. Nothing to be uncomfortable about.
Have a lot of fun.
2 great activities to enjoy!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
ArielseekingEric
Mouseketeer

Also running my. First race (5k) in November and super excited. I am still training so hoping to run the whole race through AK. I know that I can walk it in the time. Can't wait to visit Disney on my own. Love going with friends but I will be able to do what I want when I want, (I am also 41).
ArielseekingEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Ormonster
Earning My Ears

I gave my foot a test run last night and there is no way it's going to hold up to the rigers of a race. I basically have PF on my right foot and I don't want to run the risk of making it worse and not be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Other than that setback I'm going to try and have an awesome time that may turn into a new obsession.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: