Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #2401
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

It was such a nice day today so I was hoping for a good run. I didn't want to go too far since it is a "short run" day so I was aiming for 4-6 miles. The good news is that I completed 5 miles in a 12:33 pace. I know I should be very happy with that, but I just felt so crappy the whole time. I can feel that I've put on weight (only about 3 pounds, mostly water...ladies, I'm sure you know what I mean ) and I was just really feeling sluggish and out of breath the whole time. I never really got into a groove and I was really fighting through every run interval. I did run 9/walk 4 and it was probably the hardest run I've had in a while. I took a nice, cold shower/bath when I got home and now I feel a lot better. I think the fact that I've had a migraine for 2 days which finally broke this morning had something to do with it. I've taken a lot of pain meds over the last 2 days to get rid of the headache and I think they all caught up with me.

I finally did online check in (which I don't normally do) and I was excited to see that I could customize and order our MagicBands. I made a few FastPass+ choices for our evening at the Studios and that was about it.

I can't believe October is right around the corner! This race has come up SO fast! I am in awe when I look back at posts I wrote a year ago, when I first started running. I remember when I first went 2 miles and thought that was HUGE! Now, I have a whole new perspective...my "short" runs are now at least 3 miles. I've even started reading running magazines. My, how times change!

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #2402
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Supposed to rain here in KS in the AM. I was hoping for my 11 miles. To run or not to run?

Anyone else run in the rain?

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #2403
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

As long as there is no lighting I run. I did my 7-1/2 mile run in the rain. I thought my 12 mile last week would have been in the rain but it only drizzled. Its fun to run in the rain sometimes

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #2404
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
Supposed to rain here in KS in the AM. I was hoping for my 11 miles. To run or not to run? Anyone else run in the rain?
Yep. It might sound incredibly obvious but wearing a hat helps. Agree that you should bag it if there's lightning in the area. Newspaper works well for drying your shoes out once you're done.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #2405
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

Living in western Washington running in the rain from now till next June is fairly normal.
Ran my 12miles today. light rain. keeps me cooler.

Strawberry's mom&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #2406
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I love running in the rain. Do avoid running if thee is lightning or when it could be a safety issue due to the heaviness of the rain (aka deluge). It gives me a child-like spring in my step. The only time I really hate the rain is when it is an afternoon rain and the rain falls for just a few moments then the sun comes back out followed by steam coming up from the roadways. Ugh.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #2407
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice
It was such a nice day today so I was hoping for a good run. I didn't want to go too far since it is a "short run" day so I was aiming for 4-6 miles. The good news is that I completed 5 miles in a 12:33 pace. I know I should be very happy with that, but I just felt so crappy the whole time. I can feel that I've put on weight (only about 3 pounds, mostly water...ladies, I'm sure you know what I mean ) and I was just really feeling sluggish and out of breath the whole time. I never really got into a groove and I was really fighting through every run interval. I did run 9/walk 4 and it was probably the hardest run I've had in a while. I took a nice, cold shower/bath when I got home and now I feel a lot better. I think the fact that I've had a migraine for 2 days which finally broke this morning had something to do with it. I've taken a lot of pain meds over the last 2 days to get rid of the headache and I think they all caught up with me.

I finally did online check in (which I don't normally do) and I was excited to see that I could customize and order our MagicBands. I made a few FastPass+ choices for our evening at the Studios and that was about it.

I can't believe October is right around the corner! This race has come up SO fast! I am in awe when I look back at posts I wrote a year ago, when I first started running. I remember when I first went 2 miles and thought that was HUGE! Now, I have a whole new perspective...my "short" runs are now at least 3 miles. I've even started reading running magazines. My, how times change!
It's like we have mirror image training. I too have put on about 3 pounds since school started and can totally feel it. I know some of it is water weight but I'm hoping its also muscle (lol) but I'm also feeling awful today- major head cold. I am so stuffy and have a raging headache.

I have a 10k tomorrow that I was planning to use as my proof of time for wine and dine and tink, anyone have any good tips for minimizing cold symptoms before a race? No fever or coughing yet, just totally stuffed up sinuses. My throat hurt last night bc of my stuffiness but seems to be ok today now that I'm up and about.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #2408
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
It's like we have mirror image training. I too have put on about 3 pounds since school started and can totally feel it. I know some of it is water weight but I'm hoping its also muscle (lol) but I'm also feeling awful today- major head cold. I am so stuffy and have a raging headache.

I have a 10k tomorrow that I was planning to use as my proof of time for wine and dine and tink, anyone have any good tips for minimizing cold symptoms before a race? No fever or coughing yet, just totally stuffed up sinuses. My throat hurt last night bc of my stuffiness but seems to be ok today now that I'm up and about.
Nettie Pot and NSAIDs. Anything drug related decongestant may have adverse effects on the run.

Also, a light run today may open up the head as well. The rule of thumb is "In the head run the run, in the chest better rest'
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #2409
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

So I went ahead for a possibly rainy run. I'm currently caught in a downright squall and am taking cover in an office park on my route. Who wants to bring me breakfast???? :-).

Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #2410
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I went ahead for a possibly rainy run. I'm currently caught in a downright squall and am taking cover in an office park on my route. Who wants to bring me breakfast???? :-).
oops
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #2411
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
oops
You're it then! I'll take a SB Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte and a sweatshirt. :-).

Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #2412
jenny_nichole
Mouseketeer

Denise - I hope the rain cleared up and you were able to complete your 11 miles. Let us know how you made out.

I am slated to run 11 miles this afternoon...feeling nervous.

Anyone else doing the 11 mile run on Galloway's "upright position" plan today?

1st Half Marathon
Disney's W&D Half Marathon
11/2013

1st Disney Cruise
11/15/2013 on the Magic
jenny_nichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #2413
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_nichole
Denise - I hope the rain cleared up and you were able to complete your 11 miles. Let us know how you made out.

I am slated to run 11 miles this afternoon...feeling nervous.

Anyone else doing the 11 mile run on Galloway's "upright position" plan today?

Good luck with your run! Use the nerves as practice for the nerves you will feel on race day! not running 11 myself, due to aforementioned 10k race tomorrow but id almost rather be running a long slow 11 than a fast 10k. I really am not a fast runner...

So coach- I took some decongestant meds yesterday- will that clear my system in time? I'm trying to make sure I hydrate well today w my alternating powerade, water throughout the day. Will that help off set the meds or is it other affects that the meds might cause?

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #2414
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

I have 11 scheduled for today!! I'm excited and nervous. This will be the farthest I've ever gone the weather looks great, 75 and sunny
Happy training!

Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #2415
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're it then! I'll take a SB Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte and a sweatshirt. :-).
Headed to SB just after hitting enter.... Though, I will hand it off about a tenth of a mile after the finish of the W&D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/9981611386/ (just in case the photo never makes it up)

Looking through the window onto the Epcot Fountain
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: