Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Hi we have been to coral reef quite a few times and really love it!
When we went for the very 1st time in 2008 it was AWFUL we said we would never return, food was poor and waiter was so rude to my children it had me in tears! ( and it takes a lot to do that )
We was a party of 8 spread across 2 tables with 2 tables in between us and he thought after giving us awful service he would get the 18% mandatory tip! No way in hell.....??

Anyways the next time we went the boys begged us to go, so we decided to give it another go,
Our server was wonderful we got seated on the 1st section next to the tank as we asked to wait,
I also have a son with autism he will be 11 next month and its rare he is willing to wait for anything but he was adamant that's what he wanted to do,
We got seated with in 15 mins and it was amazing! Sensory overload in a good way.

Food was really good, we enjoyed it so much we go back every yr! We always wait for tank side or 1st row. Never been a problem sometimes they try to put you off saying it will be an hour wait, but never in our last 8 visits has that been the case, and our server once told us when she came 5 mins after being told wait time would be an hour,that the podium staff say that to put you off as some don't like you waiting for the tank!

Epcot
Our boys really enjoy it, figment is a great ride and has a load of fun things to do at the exit for a child with sensory seeking issues as there is lots to touch and places to jump around where they can jump on patches that light up.
Test track
It's another firm favourite but be sure to FP it as the Q can get very long

World showcase is a wonderful place to walk around the 2 rides they have are very fun, we like to look at the different country's our boys used to get bored easily but I take them to try new food snacks and make it Interesting for them.

My son also eats like a horse, its the one thing I noticed about him compared to my other 2!
Yet he is skinny as a rake,
Don't be worried though if his appetite isn't the same, our AS kiddos get so overwhelmed by Disney that food seems to be the 1st thing to get effected, we struggled to get our son to eat on so me days just too much to see and do, do that's why we do as many TS meals as we do,
I like to make sure that once a day we sit down to concentrate on food!!
Even if its a character meal it's better for us then lots of busy rushed QS places plus he gets overly panicked and melts down if we have a tray of food but no where to sit, this can happen a lot at bush times!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #32
arieliwish
I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty,

We love Epcot, always been my favourite park - I actually think it's my favourite place on earth (second is the Tuileries Gardens in Paris!). Maybe it's because I was 12/13 when it opened and I remember watching Newsround reports showing it, so I always had a great expectation and fascination for it.

There are some great rides, there are other activities and attractions, and there are many quiet places where you can stop and watch the world go by, and take in the wonder of it all. It's not MK, very different feel and atmosphere, but it is wondrous. The lands are great too and we have a tradition of having the kids try on the hats in each land, pics have to be taken of course!

This trip we popped in almost every day, some days for breakfast or dinner, or just to wander the lands while the kids headed to test track or Soarin. Mousegear is a fab shop too! I also think getting in and out of the park is relatively easy, always think MK is a hassle to get in and out with the parking away from the entrance and the distances involved. Would love to stay at the Yacht or Beach club so we could stroll in.

2000 Nov DLP Newport Bay Club - DH, DD 5, DS 2
2004 Aug 29 -Sep 12 WDW Offsite Clarion Universal - DH, DD 9, DS 6 2005 Sep 13-27 WDW CBR - DH, DD 10, DS 7 2006 Oct 22-26 DLP Newport Bay Club - DH, DD 11, DS 8, + 12 family and friends!! 2013 March 14 - 17 DLP DLH - DD 18th Birthday trip - DH, DD 18, DS 14 2013 Aug 25 -Sep 8 WDW OKW - DH, DD 18, DS 15
arieliwish is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #33
foxxxy83
DIS Veteran

Awww thanks for all the help guys, your posts have REALLY helped! Got an 11.45am reservation at Coral Reef and going to ask if we can wait to sit next to the tank coz I was in hospital when it was my 30th birthday this year so this a belated birthday present to myself
foxxxy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #34
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Another one that won't be going back to Coral Reef - tried it twice and didn't even get seated the 3rd time (they were running late and we had somewhere to be after which was going to be cutting it close as we had waited 30 minutes to be seated).

Service was average at best and as I don't eat seafood choice was limited.

It is also very expensive for average. This is our opinion though.

As for Epcot counter service - sunshine seasons in the land is very good plus most of the world showcase pavilions have a different CS and most are good.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #35
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

I won't be going back to Coral Reef either - the service was appalling, the server was rude, they got our order wrong and then brought us burned steak (three times) when we asked for rare!! Then when DH got up to complain about us being left for so long he overheard the server swearing about our table to a manager...

It's the only time I've ever asked for the tip to be removed from the bill.

Epcot is an absolute must see for us, though. In our last week long trip we did a full day and then went back for an evening to walk (and drink lol) around the World Showcase.
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
NikkiMouse
OMG we're going to DISNEY!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxxy83 View Post
Awww thanks for all the help guys, your posts have REALLY helped! Got an 11.45am reservation at Coral Reef and going to ask if we can wait to sit next to the tank coz I was in hospital when it was my 30th birthday this year so this a belated birthday present to myself
Please please please go in with low expectations!

It has a 'captive audience' to quote Kevin from the disunplugged podcast.

Here is a link to the show for the review.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/06/...-orlando-show/

I know other folk have had better experiences than mine and I don't want to put them down but I have eaten in some of the best restaurants all over the World and at Disney and this is nowhere in that league!

If you are happy to risk your time and money for poor quality food and service then absolutely experience it for yourself!

I have read a few of your posts and I get the impression that this is the start of your once in a lifetime trips and I really want you to have a great time!

I just don't think you will have that here

1999 Holiday Inn Universal 2002 DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2005 DLRP Sequoia Lodge DD5 bday 2008 Pop Century DH 40th Bday in The World 2011 Magic Kingdom and my 40th Bday POFQ 2013 Back to our Favourite French Quarter 2015 Summer Fun at our Favourite French Quarter

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it, we're about to go WDW and I know I like it!

NikkiMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #37
Nicnic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry, meant to ask in last post... are quick service places usually mobbed with people?? What's the best time?? I'm trying to weigh up quick service dining against making reservations somewhere. TIA

If you don't mind eating outdoors and off your knee!!
Then you could get fish and chips from Yorkshire next to Rose and Crown, then if you head round to the left (other side of rose & crown) you will find some seats by the water, very peaceful if you time it right.
Or if you want some cool air con, then Sunshine Seasons is a good choice, plenty of seating and not your usual offerings.

Hmmm might go there in 3 weeks and 6 days time for a strawberry shortcake. Yummmm. Lol
In fact, think I will have the fish and chips with a cheeky pint of cider then go for dessert!
Nicnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

We also love Epcot, it my DDs favorite park. We spend a lot of our time there, especially around WS and in particular Japan and China.

We have eaten at CR lots of times and have always had really good service and food. However other than the last couple of trips we had always ordered steak, which has been cooked to perfection. The last couple of times we have been there our oldest DD has ordered a couple of variations of Lobster and pasta dishes. The first time she tried this the food wasn't warm all the way through and the second time she ordered a similar dish, she said that she could have cooked something better at home with a packaged pasta! So I think that if we go there again we'll be sticking with the steak!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #39
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hey guys! Just wondered how good Epcot really is?? I know it's a Disney park so really I should spend a full day there but is there enough to warrant spending a full day there. We're likely to do Test Track and maybe the whole Figment thing. Just wondered if there's anything else people would say you HAVE to see/do when you're there?? TIA!
Wow really? I could spend every day there
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

We also love Epcot, it my DDs favorite park. We spend a lot of our time there, especially around WS and in particular Japan and China.

We have eaten at CR lots of times and have always had really good service and food. However other than the last couple of trips we had always ordered steak, which has been cooked to perfection. The last couple of times we have been there our oldest DD has ordered a couple of variations of Lobster and pasta dishes. The first time she tried this the food wasn't warm all the way through and the second time she ordered a similar dish, she said that she could have cooked something better at home with a packaged pasta! So I think that if we go there again we'll be sticking with the steak!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #41
foxxxy83
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone who aired their views both good and bad but I think am still going to chance it. I will go with a complete open mind though. I think everywhere has good days and bad days... we're all human and all that. I've read mixed reviews so it will either be very good or very bad. If it's very bad, I won't be paying for it put it that way, I'll just be leaving! Lol!
foxxxy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #42
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiMouse View Post

Please please please go in with low expectations!

It has a 'captive audience' to quote Kevin from the disunplugged podcast.

Here is a link to the show for the review.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/06/...-orlando-show/

I know other folk have had better experiences than mine and I don't want to put them down but I have eaten in some of the best restaurants all over the World and at Disney and this is nowhere in that league!

If you are happy to risk your time and money for poor quality food and service then absolutely experience it for yourself!

I have read a few of your posts and I get the impression that this is the start of your once in a lifetime trips and I really want you to have a great time!

I just don't think you will have that here
See I think posting something like this is very unfair,
Not only have you put the restaurant down " which is fair if you had bad experiences" you also put the posters who said they had great experiences down by suggesting they have not eaten at high end places!

I'm one of those posters and regularly eat at amazing places like Victoria & Alberts, almost every signature at Disney we do at least 4/5 each trip, and am lucky enough that Rick steins was my local fish & chip shop, and have travelled extensively too!

People do not expect gourmet food when going to a park TS place!
But the poster has a child with autism and this restaurant will be highly interesting and most likely a great visual and calming effect for him.

I noted that my 1st experience here was awful but that my around 5 times since have been great.

I know you said you didn't want to put the other posters down but I feel you failed.

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: