Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #331
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Has anyone that has stayed at AKL also stayed at CSR before? I'm curious how the time length of bus rides compares to CSR. We were at CSR in 2012 and it seemed like a lot of people sort of complained about how far away it was from the parks (here on the Dis) but we thought the bus rides were quick. I know AKL is close to AK, but do you think it's about an extra 5 minutes to the other parks versus CSR?

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #332
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
Has anyone that has stayed at AKL also stayed at CSR before? I'm curious how the time length of bus rides compares to CSR. We were at CSR in 2012 and it seemed like a lot of people sort of complained about how far away it was from the parks (here on the Dis) but we thought the bus rides were quick. I know AKL is close to AK, but do you think it's about an extra 5 minutes to the other parks versus CSR?
CSR is about 5 minutes.. Maybe less. AKL is on a direct road and not a side road, so I think it's quicker..plus, it doesn't stop 4 times like CSR does at all stops
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #333
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I'll be at the AKL 10/6 through 10/10. I'm going there as part of a conference. I've never stayed there, and I'm looking forward to my trip. This will be my first time solo at WDW. Think it's going to be fun anyway? I've got to work during the day, but I'll have evenings free to roam and explore.

Any suggestions that I shouldn't miss at AKL?
I've been to WDW twice solo, it's fabulous. Do what you want, when you want, with nobody else needing to be made happy but you. Embrace it and you'll have an awesome time

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #334
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am super excited to stay here next year...am just wondering if I should book the lodge or a villa?? any insight?? family of five with one under 3 so can do either....also if you stay at Jambo can you use pool at kidani??
thanks
I have an 18 month old and went with a point rental for a villa instead of the room. The rooms are great but it is a bit tighter to do the PNP. You have to put it up against the entry door or in the outside part of the bathroom to really get it to fit. In the villa, however, you have a much longer entry way and there was a little alcove where the connecting door was to the 1br villa next door. PNP slid nicely into this alcove so I wasn't worried about waking up DS every time someone had to use the bathroom!

But both would work - totally up to you! If you are planning cash room vs. cash villa, it may not be worth the up charge. But if renting, it's about the same as the room price so that's the route I went. Remember, no daily housekeeping unless you pay for it extra with the rental so you may want to take that into consideration as well, depending upon how long you will stay.
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #335
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

Back from my one night in a studio villa at Jambo last week before we headed over to BLT for our cushy 2br. However, I think we all were SO SAD to leave AKL..... not sure what we'll do for next year. Definitely AKL in the mix (my family - including DH which is AWESOME - just don't want to part from it) but not sure we'll do BLT again. Just not the same feeling. May be going back to a Lodge split! (and I agree WL is the baby brother of AKL.....)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #336
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
CSR is about 5 minutes.. Maybe less. AKL is on a direct road and not a side road, so I think it's quicker..plus, it doesn't stop 4 times like CSR does at all stops
.....CSR isn't as bad as CBR.....the absolute WORST!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #337
cobralover
NE Ohio STEELER FAN

Sooo happy with AKL

Looking back on our recent trip to AKL. Cant believe we were actually considering CBR instead. Would have stayed there till I discovered that it still had double beds. Very glad though, for it got us to AKL. What a wonderful treat it was. Recommend it to all.
cobralover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #338
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelsGoodMom View Post
I have an 18 month old and went with a point rental for a villa instead of the room. The rooms are great but it is a bit tighter to do the PNP. You have to put it up against the entry door or in the outside part of the bathroom to really get it to fit. In the villa, however, you have a much longer entry way and there was a little alcove where the connecting door was to the 1br villa next door. PNP slid nicely into this alcove so I wasn't worried about waking up DS every time someone had to use the bathroom!

But both would work - totally up to you! If you are planning cash room vs. cash villa, it may not be worth the up charge. But if renting, it's about the same as the room price so that's the route I went. Remember, no daily housekeeping unless you pay for it extra with the rental so you may want to take that into consideration as well, depending upon how long you will stay.
Thank you. Were you at Jambo or kidani? I think we decided in renting points but not sure what building to request?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #339
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Decisions; Decisions; Decisions

My planning hit a bit of a road bump today, but in a good way. We are staying offsite for the most part for our December trip as this is a bonus trip on a budget. However, I will stay onsite for one night as I will be attending DISApalooza that night and have every intention to be at Epcot for rope drop the next day. So it just made more sense to stay onsite especially as a taxi back to international Drive would have cost me a pretty Penny.

When I decided to do so, none of the DVC resorts had a studio available. So I went with the cheapest room only option with the Annual Pass Holder discount, which happened to be the All Star Sports. Now, I have never stayed at a Disney Value Resort and of those, the All Star Sports is probably the one that appeals to me the least, but I figured I just needed to have a bed to sleep in and won’t spend much time at the resort.

Fast forward to this morning. For some reason I decided to check availability for DVC studios first thing this morning. I was very surprised when a Savannah View Studio at Jambo House showed up as available. I quickly grabbed this to keep my options open. Now I am really torn as to what to do.

All Star Sports

Advantages:

Booked and paid for

Resort does not appeal to me so won’t resent not getting to spend any time there

Potentially better transport to the park the next day

Geographically closer to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot

Due to this, a taxi back after back to the hotel after DISApalooza would be cheaper

Disadvantages

Really don’t like the sound of this resort

For a value this was actually quite expensive

Not familiar with the resort and the fact that I will get back very late and the resort is very big worries me

Food court is currently closed. So I am either limited to Grab and Go or have to take the shuttle to All Star Movies/ All Star Music, which takes more time

Jambo House

Advantages

My favourite hotel at Walt Disney World

I have the points to use

The money that I save by going down this route almost pays for Photopass+

Very familiar with resort so no problem coming back late and then trying to find the room

As this is DVC booking, can add Disney Dining Plan. I have a character meal and a counter service meal planned so this would make sense.

Proximity to Animal Kingdom where I will go in the morning of the day of check in. So I could leave earlier, check in at Jambo House and leave my overnight bag with Bell Services and then catch the bus to Animal Kingdom

Better breakfast options with Mara

Zebra Domes – need I say more?

Seeing the Christmas decorations at Jambo House

There are a few people staying at AKL/AKV that attend DISApalooza so there may be the possibility ot get a ride or share a taxi

Disadvantages

Did I mention that I love AKL? It will be a shame to spend time at such a beautiful resort and not having time to enjoy it.

A little further to Epcot

Transportation may not be as efficient as at the value.

So what would you guys do?

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #340
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
My planning hit a bit of a road bump today, but in a good way. We are staying offsite for the most part for our December trip as this is a bonus trip on a budget. However, I will stay onsite for one night as I will be attending DISApalooza that night and have every intention to be at Epcot for rope drop the next day. So it just made more sense to stay onsite especially as a taxi back to international Drive would have cost me a pretty Penny. When I decided to do so, none of the DVC resorts had a studio available. So I went with the cheapest room only option with the Annual Pass Holder discount, which happened to be the All Star Sports. Now, I have never stayed at a Disney Value Resort and of those, the All Star Sports is probably the one that appeals to me the least, but I figured I just needed to have a bed to sleep in and won’t spend much time at the resort. Fast forward to this morning. For some reason I decided to check availability for DVC studios first thing this morning. I was very surprised when a Savannah View Studio at Jambo House showed up as available. I quickly grabbed this to keep my options open. Now I am really torn as to what to do. All Star Sports Advantages: Booked and paid for Resort does not appeal to me so won’t resent not getting to spend any time there Potentially better transport to the park the next day Geographically closer to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot Due to this, a taxi back after back to the hotel after DISApalooza would be cheaper Disadvantages Really don’t like the sound of this resort For a value this was actually quite expensive Not familiar with the resort and the fact that I will get back very late and the resort is very big worries me Food court is currently closed. So I am either limited to Grab and Go or have to take the shuttle to All Star Movies/ All Star Music, which takes more time Jambo House Advantages My favourite hotel at Walt Disney World I have the points to use The money that I save by going down this route almost pays for Photopass+ Very familiar with resort so no problem coming back late and then trying to find the room As this is DVC booking, can add Disney Dining Plan. I have a character meal and a counter service meal planned so this would make sense. Proximity to Animal Kingdom where I will go in the morning of the day of check in. So I could leave earlier, check in at Jambo House and leave my overnight bag with Bell Services and then catch the bus to Animal Kingdom Better breakfast options with Mara Zebra Domes – need I say more? Seeing the Christmas decorations at Jambo House There are a few people staying at AKL/AKV that attend DISApalooza so there may be the possibility ot get a ride or share a taxi Disadvantages Did I mention that I love AKL? It will be a shame to spend time at such a beautiful resort and not having time to enjoy it. A little further to Epcot Transportation may not be as efficient as at the value. So what would you guys do? Corinna

Personally, I would do AKL. The All Stars just don't seem comfortable to me. The difference in the distance is relatively small but the difference in quality of experience is huge.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #341
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryandtyson View Post
Personally, I would do AKL. The All Stars just don't seem comfortable to me. The difference in the distance is relatively small but the difference in quality of experience is huge.
Thanks. I am spoiled as well. We have only ever done the DVC resorts when staying online. So I am sure that after staying at Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower and the Boardwalk Villas, a value would be a serious shock to the system.

Corinna
Old 09-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #342
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Definitely do AKL. If nothing else, the comfortable room to sleep in would be enough for me.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #343
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
We have stayed at both CSR and AKL in the past and think the bus rides are very comparable. AKL is no more then 5 min away from CSR.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #344
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Thank you. Were you at Jambo or kidani? I think we decided in renting points but not sure what building to request?
I've done both on two different trips this year. . I may have a small problem. Hahaha!

I really loved both. I think Kidani wins hands down in the 1br or larger category. I think they are a tie for the studio. When are you going and for how long? How old are your other kids? Will you eat out all meals?

My initial reaction is that since it is your first trip and there are five of you, might want to try Jambo to be closer to the action. But I have a hard time saying that since I love the peacefulness of Kdani so much. Really, you can't lose either way.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #345
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
Definitely do AKL. If nothing else, the comfortable room to sleep in would be enough for me.
I have now sent an email to my travel agent asking her to cancel the reservation at All Star Sports and I will stay at AKL.

Corinna

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: