Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
-Flash photography on rides
-Talking on rides
-Adults who intentionally cut in line
-Disney Resort prices
-Rides that speak in both English AND Spanish (This is America)
When I went to India 4 years ago, I connected in Frankfurt Germany. When I was walking through the terminal, I heard other languages and it hit me that I was a "foreigner". I would have been up the creek if they had the attitude that they would only make announcements in German (this is Germany). Obviously, WDW attracts alot of people speaking Spanish and they want to accomodate.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Complainers......
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #33
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Then why not just say

"people not shutting up during attractions that you need to be listening to."

If they were blonde Americans talking who she have said " blonde people not shutting up during attractions that you need to be listening to."?

I somehow doubt it
If someone speaks some language other than English and is on an attraction such as RnR or ToT, talking will be at a minimum and screaming will be more common. Screaming is a common language.

In an attraction such as CoP, there is a LOT of narration and you are essentially just sitting there listening to a great deal of English being spoken with almost no action. If you understand English, maybe you enjoy it or maybe you are bored. If you do not understand English, you're just sitting there only minimally involved, as you do not understand the language and spoken language (English) is a HUGE part of CoP.

You then have a choice. Keep quiet and let the ones who do understand the language enjoy the attraction. Or deal with your boredom by having a lively conversation in whatever language you speak.

I've been the person in the attraction/tour who understood only a word here or there. I chose to keep quiet. If DH and I had instead carried on a conversation in English since we were clueless about what the guide/narration was saying, we would have been rude. Just rude. And I promise you, someone would have been complaining about "those foreigners/Americans" and they'd have been right.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #34
sunnyday123
Someone hand me my drool towel
I think my eyes were crossed for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
You know we all have at least one, or more. So, what's yours?

Mine is foreign people (people from other countries, nationalities, whatever is the politically correct way of saying it ) not shutting up during attractions that you need to be listening to. Carousel of Progress has always been my favorite Disney attraction, and this time I took my adult DD with me who had never been to Disney before so it was her first time to experience this attraction.

Wow. So if my Mom, who is from Germany, was behind you and talking, but in English ( she's since become a citizen) would that be bothersome or not??

I think a better way convey this would be, "People who talk during rides."

Or you could go sit on a bench with the poster who doesn't like announcements to be in any other language. 'Cause you know Disney rarely has tourists from other countries.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
-Rides that speak in both English AND Spanish (This is America)
How do you feel about visiting a foreign country and being addressed in English? For example, France -- every waiter and every hotel clerk will speak good English. Signage and brochures at tourist attractions are printed in multiple languages, including English. It's just good business.

FWIW, the United States doesn't have an official language.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
bcla
DIS Veteran

Never been, although there was one time I was thinking about it. What's it like? I understand there's lots of walking involved. That and the sweltering Florida weather during the summer (which I have experienced before). If I had any pet peeves those would probably be it.

I've learned that rude people are found everywhere, so it doesn't become a pet peeve as long as you don't let it bother you.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
How do you feel about visiting a foreign country and being addressed in English? For example, France -- every waiter and every hotel clerk will speak good English. Signage and brochures at tourist attractions are printed in multiple languages, including English. It's just good business.

FWIW, the United States doesn't have an official language.

I will say, I was so pleasantly surprised at how many people spoke English in Seoul. We were clueless and appreciative at how much help we had despite our own helplessness . We even had help in the subway when we got lost - twice. We were embarrassed to get back to Dulles airport and see how disrespectfully the Koreans were treated in America.

On the other hand, we would never visit Korea and chant loudly in a group at their tourist attractions .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

We had a 10-day trip last month. Come to think of it, nothing really annoyed me that's not common to any place that attracts tons of people. Sure, people block the walkways, let their kids climb on railings, etc. But I've seen the same things happen at the supermarket. It's just more pronounced at WDW because of the sheer number of people and the length of time we spend there (I don't generally spend 12 hours straight at the supermarket). We stayed offsite, rented a car, and did things on our own schedule. Good times!
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
GSUJillybean
Mouseketeer

My pet peeve is entitled, jingoistic Americans who get angry when someone dares to speak a foreign language in their presence. God, they're all over the parks, and they're SO loud, and there are just so many of them. It really aggravates me to be stuck in lines behind them. I wish Disney could do something about it.
1/2012-CSR- First trip as a family of three!
12/2010-CR Atrium CL
12/2009-ASM
12/2008-ASSp
12/2007-CR Atrium CL-First trip as a widow/single mom with baby Henry.
7/2005-PFQ- Honeymoon!
3/2004 PFQ- Engagement trip!
GSUJillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #40
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

My pet peeve is all you "furriners" who just don't seem to understand that we Flori-duh residents are more important than any of you "turrists!" After all, you know what they say about furriners - they're not from around here! (Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Queen Colleen

Edited to add: I'll bet if I thought about it long enough, I could write that post in Spanish!
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #41
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

The humidity.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Wow, I just read through this thread and my little pet peeve may cause hysterical laughter but here goes. I've always been a little annoyed that we travel to WDW and there are only a limited amount of characters available at any given time to see. I mean it is where all of the characters should live right? Why should all of the 7 dwarfs & Jiminy Cricket only be around during "special" occasions? Just my little pet peeve or thing that always kind of bothered me. Not a deal breaker but more of a "This is McDonalds what do you mean you are out of hamburgers?" Kind of thought.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #43
moon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
You know we all have at least one, or more. So, what's yours?

Mine is foreign people (people from other countries, nationalities, whatever is the politically correct way of saying it ) not shutting up during attractions that you need to be listening to. Carousel of Progress has always been my favorite Disney attraction, and this time I took my adult DD with me who had never been to Disney before so it was her first time to experience this attraction.

We had a family (4 adults/3 children) speaking Spanish the entire time directly behind us. They were not quiet about it either. Everyone else was being quiet, except for a child now and then but that is to be expected.

Now, I don't know if they could not speak English, but please...if you don't understand the English language and you still go into an attraction where people would want to be listening to it, please for the love of all that's holy...shut up!!!
If that annoys you so much, maybe WDW is not the best vacation for you. Maybe you can find a quieter, more isolated place or a place where they only yell in 'merican so you can have a more enjoyable time
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

No Pepsi.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #45
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat View Post
No Pepsi.

Good one!