Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #46
klacey1
DIS Veteran

That's so disappointing about the Contemporary! I did walk through the conference area once and was totally unimpressed. I love it from the outside because it's such a Disney icon, but you're right, those prices are not worth it for rooms that are literally falling apart!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #47
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

I adored the CR! I love the yellow throw pillows...one of them has Mickey on it! The rooms were all recently renovated and while I was there, they replaced the tvs on my floor. That might be why the paneling fell off while you were there. The other agent that was there with me said that after they replaced her tv, she noticed a huge scratch across the shelf in front of the tv. I guess that crew was not very careful! I also noticed a ton of dust/debris on the shelf in my room after the tv was replaced.

I did notice a few other things that needed some help, but it didn't bother me. I'm sure they will get things fixed soon.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #48
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
That's so disappointing about the Contemporary! I did walk through the conference area once and was totally unimpressed. I love it from the outside because it's such a Disney icon, but you're right, those prices are not worth it for rooms that are literally falling apart!
The conference area is beautiful! The ballrooms are gorgeous and I can just picture weddings being held there.

The smell in the lobby is heavenly. I wish I could get my house to smell like that!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #49
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
even a chain holding the paneling up sounds odd...if it is done right it should be secure without having to be held up with a chain...

you are right they need to update it better and not just rely on the monorail to bring people into the main buidling.

but if i was given a free night there i wouldnt turn it down.
I definitely wouldn't turn down a free night but would I book this place on my own? Nope! I eventually want to stay at every resort in WDW but Contemporary is near the bottom of my list. I just didn't care for it.

Quote:
I don't think it's themed as well as the other resorts. Our guides kept mentioning every resort tells a story and when we asked what the story was here, Tommy was just stumped. It could've been a Hilton or Marriott. There's nothing wrong with those chains but they're not Disney resorts! The only appealing thing to me is that the monorail runs through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
I adored the CR! I love the yellow throw pillows...one of them has Mickey on it! The rooms were all recently renovated and while I was there, they replaced the tvs on my floor. That might be why the paneling fell off while you were there. The other agent that was there with me said that after they replaced her tv, she noticed a huge scratch across the shelf in front of the tv. I guess that crew was not very careful! I also noticed a ton of dust/debris on the shelf in my room after the tv was replaced.

I did notice a few other things that needed some help, but it didn't bother me. I'm sure they will get things fixed soon.
I'm glad you enjoyed it but I just didn't care for the resort. Sure you're within walking distance to the MK and the monorail runs right through it but other than that I don't think it's worth the price tag. If they were to put me up at the Contemporary for a conference or another AEP I wouldn't complain but it's just not a place I'd book on my own. BLT yes but not the Contemporary itself.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #50
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I definitely wouldn't turn down a free night but would I book this place on my own? Nope! I eventually want to stay at every resort in WDW but Contemporary is near the bottom of my list. I just didn't care for it. I don't think it's themed as well as the other resorts. Our guides kept mentioning every resort tells a story and when we asked what the story was here, Tommy was just stumped. It could've been a Hilton or Marriott. There's nothing wrong with those chains but they're not Disney resorts! The only appealing thing to me is that the monorail runs through it. I'm glad you enjoyed it but I just didn't care for the resort. Sure you're within walking distance to the MK and the monorail runs right through it but other than that I don't think it's worth the price tag. If they were to put me up at the Contemporary for a conference or another AEP I wouldn't complain but it's just not a place I'd book on my own. BLT yes but not the Contemporary itself.
Tommy did our resort tour too! He is the voice for the College of Disney Knowledge training modules!

Right now, the room I just stayed in goes for $507/night. I don't think I could ever pay that much per night for any resort. Crazy!

Completed Trip Reports
Old 09-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #51
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Tommy did our resort tour too! He is the voice for the College of Disney Knowledge training modules!

Right now, the room I just stayed in goes for $507/night. I don't think I could ever pay that much per night for any resort. Crazy!
The whole first day I was sitting there saying 'I know his voice from somewhere.' At the dessert party it hit me and when I asked him, he confirmed. He's such a great tour guide! Did you meet Rita? She drove me nuts lol.

Exactly - the price is insane!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #52
yeheyprincex2
Adventure is out there!!

Nice trip report first one I have completely read. Travel perks, nice
, DLRSeptember2014
me DS DS

DH
yeheyprincex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #53
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeheyprincex2 View Post
Nice trip report first one I have completely read. Travel perks, nice
Absolutely. My job has its ups & downs but I can't complain about the perks!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #54
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Grand Floridian Tour

We arrived back and the hotel & since dinner was late tonight we stopped at Gasparilla Grill to get a little something to eat. We were planning to go to Magic Kingdom with two other girls from the group Patty and Kat. Lorraine got a kids meal and I got some soup. Patty and Kat got made to order salads and we were finished & their food still hadnt arrived. Lorraine and I went to the room to get changed and we were raring to go but Kat & Patty wanted to take showers first. They are very nice girls but they were slowing us down! I took some pictures of the room while we waited.

Excuse my mess! Another GF perk bathrobes!

Say hi Lorraine!

Bathroom was a little on the small side&

But the vanity area was huge!

Hello again!

Our balcony

Looking to the right

Looking straight ahead. If that wall on the left wasnt there wed have a view of Magic Kingdom!

Looking in from the balcony

Tink!

We headed out to meet Patty & Kat in the lobby. I snapped more pictures of the grounds on the way. GF is such a pretty resort!

The view that was blocked by the wall to our left.

I love palm trees so that explains why Im hugging one.

The GF Villas. I was hoping wed get a tour but there was still some construction going on.

Hello dream resort!

We found Kat & Patty in the lobby and headed up to the monorail. It was finally time to go to MK!

Patty, Kat, Lorraine, and me

Stay tuned for our night at Magic Kingdom and Chef Mickeys!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #55
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Wow, that's crazy the food took so long! Ah, I would not have enjoyed being slowed down like that! Traveling with others definitely had its ups and downs!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #56
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Loving your trip report!! I've stayed at CR a couple of times now for business meetings. It feels sterile and lacks the Disney charm of the other resorts. Last time we were there for a business meeting, I was honestly dreaming of Pop Century. The one thing that I really like about the Contemporary is its location. There's nothing like being able to walk back to your resort after a long day at MK!

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #57
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, that's crazy the food took so long! Ah, I would not have enjoyed being slowed down like that! Traveling with others definitely had its ups and downs!
I have no idea why it took so long. It was just a couple of Caesar salads! I am not a patient person so I wasn't too happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmomof4 View Post
Loving your trip report!! I've stayed at CR a couple of times now for business meetings. It feels sterile and lacks the Disney charm of the other resorts. Last time we were there for a business meeting, I was honestly dreaming of Pop Century. The one thing that I really like about the Contemporary is its location. There's nothing like being able to walk back to your resort after a long day at MK!
Glad you're enjoying the report! CR definitely has one of the best locations on property but the lack of theming there just turns me off. You're absolutely right - even the values have more charm than CR! IMO it's not worth the hefty price tag.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #58
jenny105
DIS Veteran

MK and Chef Mickey's

We hopped on the monorail, proceeded through bag check, and then we were finally in Magic Kingdom! Notice the fall decorations - it was August!

We had a short list of rides we wanted to get done before dinner Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Little Mermaid, and Space Mountain. It was my job to make sure we hit them all. It helped that our tour guides had given us fastpasses. First up was the Haunted Mansion. I think this is probably my favorite ride in MK. I just love the theming and the song is one of my favorites!

Next up was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Patty is nervous about roller coasters but I assured her there were no big drops & no loops. I dont think she ended up liking it but she made it through unscathed.

Then we headed over to New Fantasyland to ride the Little Mermaid ride. Im not a huge fan of Ariel (I think shes a brat. Oh youre a princess but youre too good to live underwater? Oh your Dad is so mean? Shut up) but I was excited because this was a new experience for me. As we walked over to the ride I snapped a few pictures.

The Seven Dwarves Mine Cart is really coming along. I cant wait to ride this next year!

Us with Dopey and Doc.

Beasts Castle

I enjoyed the Little Mermaid ride. Its your typical dark ride, nothing special, but its cute. The ride vehicles are similar to the clam shells on the Nemo ride. Kat sung through the whole thing she loves the Little Mermaid I guess! My favorite part was the Under the Sea section. Love that song!

Recently I read the story of the original Little Mermaid. Boy does that not have a happy ending! But of course Disney made it one.

After Little Mermaid we headed over to our last ride Space Mountain. Patty sat this one out & it was just me, Kat, and Lorraine. I loved it as usual! That ride is such a blast. Then we left the park and walked over the Chef Mickeys. If I had to hear one more complaint about the walk....yes, we couldve taken the monorail but we beat it to the resort! Its not like I asked you to walk to Epcot people! Anyway we checked it, got our picture taken with the plate, and went to the waiting area. I was really surprised we had to wait at all. I figured since we had a late reservation (9:05) it wouldnt be crowded but the place was packed!

The characters were upon us before we even had a chance to get our food!

A kiss from Donald. Hes my favorite!

For some reason I didnt make it into any of the pictures with Mickey, Goofy, or Minnie. Oh well Id meet them another day!

Overall I thought the food was ok at Chef Mickeys. Id never been there for dinner only breakfast and I think breakfast is better. Lorraine didnt like it at all. She said it reminded her of a cafeteria. Youre obviously paying for the character experience here and not the food but I can think of other places where Id rather spend $50! Good thing Disney provided us with $60 dining cards. That definitely helped!

When we left Chef Mickeys we found out the monorail was closed! We took a cab back to the Grand Floridian and Kat cracked me up when she said the cab driver drove like a maniac. I guess Im used to NYC cabs so that was nothing to me! We made it back to the resort safe & sound and called it a night.

Day 2 ending stick around for the rest!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 09-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #59
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post

A kiss from Donald. Hes my favorite!
i knew you were good people but this just confirmed it.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #60
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
i knew you were good people but this just confirmed it.
Donald's the best!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: