Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #91
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
That is incorrect. If you go on to Disney's site and plan a trip, the price for adult DDP comes out to $58.66 (just did one for this October to be sure). The price went up back in July and was effective almost immediately. This is the first time Disney has done a price increase in the middle of the year for DDP, but they did it.
Yup, you're right . So the PP would actually PAY $1.66 more for the DDP .
Old 09-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #92
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Yup, you're right . So the PP would actually PAY $1.66 more for the DDP .
Exactly!! AND she went to one of the MOST expensive QS places to boot. Just think of how much people are over-paying who just do the run-of-the-mill QS.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #93
eacosper
Mouseketeer

My hubby and I always price out our meals with and without the dining plan, and every time it saves us money. Can't imagine doing Disney without it.

eacosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #94
stacecakes
loves acquiring info as much as fastpasses!

Here's the math I did when planning our trip in may:

Online it says approx 56 per adult per day and $17 per kid. Weird. seems like a steal for the kids and a ripoff for the adults. So maybe it balances?
my rough math of (56+56+17+17)*7 adds $1022 for the week. Which seems like a lot for two meals and a snack each daily. I remember that last time, with the free dining, we would order two meals for the four of us ( girls were 3 and 1) at quick serve places, also we'd usually share snacks cause they were huge. 4 peoples worth would be nutty.
advantages to this would be that we'd have it for the full length of our stay and that there would be no tension at mealtimes (grandparents have somewhat fancier taste than we do, I'm big on convenience and having some treats on vacation, kids want to try everything they see in the park). I'd stress less on how pricey character meals can be as well as my birthday dinner at Ohana.
I'll try to estimate what we'd likely spend on food if we did our usual living cheap approach. Advantages here are that we'd probably eat less and if I'm honest, probably spend less on food. However, it would involve more planning and be a little more of a hassle to be sure that we got groceries or packed them for lunches etc. We traveled with a suitcase full of food on our stay at fort wilderness.

My planned must do meals this trip:
ohana: 36.20+36.20+18.10+18.10= 108.60
boma: 38.33+38.33+18.10+18.10= 112.86
raglan (estimating 35/ adult, $15 per kid out of pocket)= 100
character dining: 35.99 adult, 17.99 child= 107.96

so for our four "big" meals we're at 429.22.
If we say we'll wind up with one counter service a day, whether lunch or dinner (yogurt, pb&j, and granola bars only get you so far), estimating at $12 /adult and $6 per kid= $36 per meal.* 7 days= 252.00.
There will be some dole whips, fried dough, etc. Call that $10 per day. =70
We'd have to pay for our groceries for breakfast and lunches: yogurt, cereal, milk, oatmeal, bread, pbj, cold cuts, juice boxes, fruit, other little snacks. call it $125 (given what we'd be able to pack in luggage, and getting the rest either in food court or via garden grocer)

let's tally again. 429.22+252+70+125=876.42
Did I forget anything? AM I way underestimating food costs? Tips at table service will be in effect either way so that doesn't matter.
SO the price difference to upgrade to DDP standard is $150. For this we'd get 3 additional table service meals and a bunch of snacks.

When I look at it that way, seems worth it financially. If I want to think about eating healthy, maybe not so smart. I think the grandparents will like getting to sit for a table meal each day, and that the kids will like it that I'll say Yes more often when they eye a yummy snack and bust out the puppy dog eyes. So could we do it cheaper without DDP? Yes. do I think we'll get enough value out of it to make it worth our while this trip? Yes. For peace of mind at not having to settle out bills between my family/ grandparents, and strangely, at having made my dinner reservations ahead of time and being able to say: here's the plan, family. I wound up being able to book a lot of meals that have some sort of bonus feature: fantasmic VIP dining, princess meal with a picture, rose & crown for dinner ( where hopefully we'll be able to be outside for illuminations).

I was surprised at the fact that the kids cost (3-9) was so low. We would pay just about that much for entry to any of the buffet meals, so for them we're essentially getting a snack/cs meal free those days. The other table service meals, well, we'll see.

so those are my two cents. If my math is way off, please don't tell my DH. He's anti-DDP in general. But now that we have it he's compiling ways to wring as much value from it as possible. For him that's almost as satisfying as beating me at Toy story Mania...
stacecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #95
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Location: Split between Pennsylvania and Europe (Croatia and Austria)

As to costs....

Having been just down there last week as a guest of the earmarked conference - no DDP....

I don't know what people are eating for counter service, but most entrees I wanted were around $14.99. Just the entree. Then I had to buy my Coke at $2.49 on top of that. (And in Morocco I needed my baklava, darn it!) Just my CS lunch in Morocco alone was over $20.

I use snack credits for lots of Dole Whip Floats and other goodies of that nature. I get my worth from the snack credits.

So estimating $12 for counter service I think is lowballing it a bit. Expect more.

(Hmmmm.... it's insanely late and now I can't remember if I posted a similar post to this... ah well)
JenSop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #96
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacecakes View Post
Here's the math I did when planning our trip in may:

Online it says approx 56 per adult per day and $17 per kid. Weird. seems like a steal for the kids and a ripoff for the adults. So maybe it balances?
my rough math of (56+56+17+17)*7 adds $1022 for the week.

{snip}

so those are my two cents. If my math is way off, please don't tell my DH. He's anti-DDP in general. But now that we have it he's compiling ways to wring as much value from it as possible. For him that's almost as satisfying as beating me at Toy story Mania...
No, your math is not off . With two kids under 10 and character meals you are in the "DDP Sweet Spot" that I keep on talking about. The only thing you might have to add back into the cost of the DDP is $$ for healthy breakfast items as the DDP only includes 2 meals per day.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #97
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

We have get the DDP, because without it my husband makes the trip miserable. What the cost/benefits add up to does not matter at all to me.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #98
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSop View Post
As to costs....

Having been just down there last week as a guest of the earmarked conference - no DDP....

I don't know what people are eating for counter service, but most entrees I wanted were around $14.99. Just the entree. Then I had to buy my Coke at $2.49 on top of that. (And in Morocco I needed my baklava, darn it!) Just my CS lunch in Morocco alone was over $20.

I use snack credits for lots of Dole Whip Floats and other goodies of that nature. I get my worth from the snack credits.

So estimating $12 for counter service I think is lowballing it a bit. Expect more.

(Hmmmm.... it's insanely late and now I can't remember if I posted a similar post to this... ah well)
I'm struggling to see where you are seeing a lot of $14.99 counter service entrees, those are definitely the exception. Most counter service entrees are around $9-10.

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #99
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
I'm struggling to see where you are seeing a lot of $14.99 counter service entrees, those are definitely the exception. Most counter service entrees are around $9-10.
This exactly! I know there are a few out there, but I don't see much at the CS places that's over $12.

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-2014, POFQ-August 2015!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #100
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Barbie View Post
We have get the DDP, because without it my husband makes the trip miserable. What the cost/benefits add up to does not matter at all to me.
Us too - that's the biggest reason people get it - personal preference

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #101
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I agree that at this point most of the Disney veterans get it because they like it, not because they are concerned about whether or not it will save them money. Although the dining plan started off as a huge moneysaver (and was marketed as such) in 2005, it has evolved into something that many guests are willing to pay a bit extra for. And some might even be able to save some money.

I also have seen a few counter services (Morocco and Wolfgang Puck Express are among them) where entrees can run up to $15, but most WDW counter service restaurants are in the $8-11 range for entrees. If you are going to get a $15 entree and dessert for every meal, the quick service plan is for you. If you like the less expensive ones, it may not be as good a deal.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #102
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Ddp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
This is where personal preference comes into play. I should mention that I avoid burgers like the plague in Disney. (There are so many more interesting options. I can eat hamburgers at home.)

The two CS meals that I ate that were "pricier":

-lamb and chicken shawarma combo platter at Tangerience Cafe. (SO SO good!)

-short ribs platter at Pecos Bill. (I wanted Columbia Harbour House, but it wasn't open for MNSSHP.)

I'm pretty sure both of those were $14.99. THen I had to buy Coke. (I drink lots of Coke everyday. Just choosing water is not an option. Again, that's my own personal preference, but something that I have to take into consideration when going on ANY kind of trip. I'm essentially addicted to Coca-Cola.)

I go to Disney once or twice a year. I don't really eat out back at home. Disney is where I let myself go and eat whatever I want. So that means getting the expensive dishes, treating myself to dessert, having lots of Dole Whips and other goodies.

That's why when it comes to DDP, I always tell people that it works for some, but not for others. For me, it's always a yes!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #103
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeentoallDParks View Post
Frommer's has gone on record to say it doesn't think you should by the Disney Dining Plan:

Here's Why You Don't Want to Buy the Disney Dining Plan When You Visit Orlando

http://www.frommers.com/community/bl...c-b9b4e2daf02c

Agree?
Agree completely. We've been to WDW several times, done the math each time, and its been a big-time money loser for us. Although we spent most of our vacations at the parks/on property, we didn't want to feel compelled to eat at Disney restaurants or to have larger meals than we really wanted or needed.

We ate light breakfasts in-room, had either a nice lunch or a nice supper somewhere, and never made more than a couple of ADR's for a week's stay. And we wanted the option of visiting local Orlando haunts as well. As a result, DDP was always a big loser for us, so we always declined it. As is many things Disney these days, they are as much about keeping people in the parks as they are anything else, and that's the overarching architecture behind DDP now. We've noticed a fairly precipitous drop in overall restaurant quality at WDW in the last few visits, and that's dropped the value of the DDP even more in our eyes.

I think Frommer's article really hits the nail on the head. Ridiculous to spend that much for food if you know going in you won't really eat that much, or (conversely) if you fell compelled to eat because you spent that much, that doesn't even pass the sniff test.

If you stay on property and plan to eat three meals a day nearly every day on property, I guess it might be worth it, but for us, it never worked out. We just couldn't get into spending that much time eating.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #104
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
This exactly! I know there are a few out there, but I don't see much at the CS places that's over $12.
Our family of 5 averaged $50 to $60 for all our CS meals, and that was including drinks.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #105
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Like I said, it's all personal preference. I'm sure other regular DIsney-goers, have their "MUST GET" items on each trip. For me, one of those is the shawarma combo platter in Morocco. Other "must gets" are Dole Whip Float (preferably several on a trip), Gran Marnier slushies, and Lapu Lapu's at Poly.

(No the alcohol obviously isn't on the DDP, but just using it to make my point of certain must-do's each time I go.)

just remember, everyone is different! :-)

Tags
ddp, dining plan, frommer, frommer's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: