Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #136
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
She was screaming the entire time, they close the door and the assistant kept saying, "It's okay, shhh".
Screaming the entire time. That's the key, and the reason for the extra charge.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #137
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

Write up your own invoice for 50 dollars for "Parental Restraint Fee" and then add on a 20 dollar processing fee. Send it to your dentist with a specified due date....and then send a "late notice".
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #138
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma'smom View Post
Write up your own invoice for 50 dollars for "Parental Restraint Fee" and then add on a 20 dollar processing fee. Send it to your dentist with a specified due date....and then send a "late notice".
I'm also going to add a fee for 'extended waiting room time'.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #139
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

If you hurry, you might be able to sign up for this course on Friday!

The 7th Annual Robert J. Feigal Symposium
Managing Child Behavior in the 21st Century Dental Practice
6.5 credit hours ✧ Friday, September 27, 2013 ✧ Continuing Education & Conference Center ✧ University of Minnesota ✧ St. Paul Campus

http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/prod/gr...cle_441887.pdf

Quote:
About the Course

The 2013 Feigal Symposium will give you a fresh perspective on pediatric behavior guidance techniques suited for today’s society and contemporary dental practice. A team of experts in the field will present key components to relationship building between the dental team, parent and child. You will come away from this program with the tools to provide your young patients with a positive dental experience.

The entire dental team will benefit from useful insights on how to:

• communicate with children and parents to allay fear and anxiety.

• assess a child’s developmental stage and tailor behavior guidance accordingly.

• utilize basic behavior guidance techniques—tell-show-do, voice control, nonverbal, positive reinforcement, distraction, and parental presence or absence.

• determine when advanced behavior guidance is necessary— protective stabilization, sedation or general anesthesia.

• identify the role of pre-operative analgesics, local anesthesia and nitrous oxide in managing pediatric pain and anxiety.

• develop a child-friendly environment that will facilitate behavior guidance and a positive dental experience.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #140
hereyago
DIS Veteran

My dd's first dentist (don't get me started on how he and his office was) and her current dentist have ;scream" rooms. The rest of the area are open, so one patient can look over and see the other patient just counters separate.

My dd had to go to the scream room when 2 baby teeth were in the way of adult teeth coming in.

Her df and I were in there with her. Funny thing, she didn't scream. The numbing needle did make her go ow, but that was it. It was years ago, so I don't recall a fee except when I had them pay me for not notifying me that the dentist wasn't going to be at an appointment.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #141
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I think we touched on this yesterday, i.e. why does this whole "behavior management" thing even exist in pediatric dentistry?

These articles might help explain it. (And don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger! )

1. Challenges of Managing Child Behavior in the 21st Century Dental Setting

Quote:
Todays parents reflect the changes in society. The traditional parent role included setting limits and saying no. In an attempt to be a friend to their child, many parents have abrogated their responsibility to establish boundaries, maintain discipline, teach self-control, and instill respect for others. In a recent survey, pediatric dentists reported that changes in parenting styles have adversely influenced child behavior in the dental office. Some behavior management methods, traditionally a part of the armamentarium of pediatric dentists, are now perceived negatively by parents.
http://www.smiles4kids.com/articles/...%20Century.pdf

2. Pediatric Management: How To Become The Person in Charge!

Quote:
With todays permissiveness, its more critical than ever for dental professionals to become experts in child management. A 2004 article in Pediatric Dentistry addresses the impact of societal changes on pediatric behavior in dental offices. Children have fewer boundaries, the article states, and less discipline and self-control. Both parents and contemporary culture expect less from children in terms of behavior than we used to expect.

More and more frequently, we see children who have turned the tables on authority. They control their parents to an astonishing degree, and expect to do the same with us. If we want to provide them with quality dentistry, we cant let that happen. So what techniques can we use to become The Person in Charge?
http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print...in-charge.html

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013

Last edited by Pea-n-Me; 09-25-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added text
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #142
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I think I'll post this separately so it doesn't get lost in the info above.

Interesting definition here from the Washington State Legislature:

"Behavior management" means using the assistance of one additional dental professional staff to manage the behavior of a client to facilitate the delivery of dental treatment.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #143
rosemerry
Earning My Ears

it is really unethical. If i am a dentist, i would never charge such petty cash. Doctor is a holy profession.
rosemerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #144
Donnask8pro
Fins to the left, Fins to the right....
sorry for you croc lovers but I have a reputation to keep..

Where in Jersey are you? I am in South Jersey and have the BEST ped dentist ever! I switched from another maniac to this practice and will never leave.. (until they throw me out) lol

Platinum cruiser...
Upcoming Cruisin w/ The Troublemakers
Oct 2013 Girls gone wild IV cruise Carnival Victory
August 2013 Jersey beach!
Nov 2013 Jersey Week in Disney
Feb 2014 Carnival Liberty TM7
Sept 2014 Carnival Inspiration V
Jan 2015 Carnival SUnshine TM8
Donnask8pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #145
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma'smom View Post
I love this!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #146
Shelleybeans
See there's this mouse... he kinda has my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
I'm also going to add a fee for 'extended waiting room time'.
So glad you still have your sense of humor!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #147
Robbi
DIS Veteran

The worst dentist we ever saw was a pediatric dentist. He was a jerk. Gave him 2 chances and then I started bringing my kids to the regualr dentist who was more patient.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #148
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post
Screaming the entire time. That's the key, and the reason for the extra charge.
Oops, I totally overlooked that in the OP

I still think the OP has grounds to fight the charge though since according to her the assistant only sshhhed her baby, they didn't hold or restrain her herself.

Pea, I won't shoot you. I actually agree with that article.
We see the effect of certain parenting styles everywhere, look at all the threads here complaining about them Its no surprise that people like dentists would have to deal with it, and charge accordingly for it.
Sometimes I wish I could bill a parent for the effect their parenting style has on me
(I am not at all saying this was the case for the OP)
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #149
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

The insurance may or may not pay it, I got charged for both kids for floride because my insurance only covers it once a year and my dentist office for some reason applies it twice a year..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #150
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I believe I saw somewhere that Behavior Management charges are not covered by insurance due to the high number of fraudulent claims they've had historically. (Note this is not to say that all such charges are fraudulent.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: