Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

I don't think wearing tennis shoes is doing anything to skirt the rules. Most kids wear sneakers in the parks. I would definitely have her try wearing the shoes, and doing it in the morning. If she really wants to do it. I would stay away from napkins and things of that nature, but riding with tennis shoes is fine. As long as they don't look abnormally tall or like platforms, you're fine.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #32
Tamara NZ
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleighc1 View Post
I didn't want to risk any disappointment or hurt feelings on our trip, so I measured each of my kids in advance (without shoes), and gave them all a card with a list of the rides they could do. (I also made a card for myself so I could keep track while in the park and make a plan on what to do with the ones that were too small while the big ones rode certain things) My younger kids felt pretty awesome getting their own "ride pass", and we had no issues or tears about rides in the park.

I agree with the others that Indy is a rough ride, I'm glad to hear you are willing to skip it this time around and not try to get around the rules.
I love this idea, hope you don't mind if I steal it. We measure in metric here and even I have trouble getting my head around inches so this will work for the vertically challenged 5 year old and her big sis who wants to ride everything, and will mean Mum wont get confused about what they can and cannot ride.
Tamara NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #33
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

We have to remember that there are other rides she isnt tall enough to ride, so it just gets put on that no can do list for her. She's very petite in stature as well. I worry about some of the rides and we wedge her in pretty good. I'm kind of a nervous mama. IJ will just have to wait.

First ever Disney trip Sept 19-28 2013 8O
twinspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #34
Animagic!
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinspirit View Post
DD6 is one inch too short for Indiana Jones. What are the chances that her runners would give her that extra she needs vs sandals? Maybe with a folded napkin in the heel? haaha

First ever Disney trip Sept 19-28 2013 8O
I had this exact same problem when I was a child. My family visited the parks when Indiana Jones had just opened. As a huge Indy fan I was extremely excited to go on the ride. The line was crazy long. I remember getting in line in Main Street and waiting for a very long time before I was ever measured. The CM told me I was an inch too short and that I could not ride. I was heartbroken.

So the next day I put on hiking boots and stood up tall. Apparently I had grown a few inches that night because the next day I was actually plenty tall enough. The hiking boots were really not much heel at all. My theory is there was some differences between the measuring methods. The "official" height measurement post out front of the attraction said I was definitely tall enough, the CM who measured me in line said I was too short. So not sure what happened there.

Anyway, I'd suggest actually getting to the attraction and comparing your child to the official measurement to see how your child measures up.

Disney Parks enthusiast. Animation nerd. Amateur photographer.
Animagic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #35
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie2283 View Post
On our first trip my DD was 6. She was just talk enough. In fact, she was so dead on that she got measured at the start of the ride and then again when we got to the loading dock. We were so glad she was able to ride and we were all excited to go. Well, needless to say, DD hated Indy. It spooked her enough she refused to ride it again 😞
We experienced this with DS, only he didn't reach the required height until he was almost 8! He was SO excited to finally be tall enough to ride but when we rode it, he HATED it. The ride ended and all you could hear was our son saying "Never, ever, ever, EVER again!" We convinced him to try it again that trip and he still hated it, so no IJ for us for a while.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
Wow! This DL board is so much more lax than the WDW board is. Awhile back I made a joke about getting a kid platform shoes to be able to ride something and I almost got banned.
As long as people don't seriously try to get around the rules the posts can stay.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleighc1 View Post
I didn't want to risk any disappointment or hurt feelings on our trip, so I measured each of my kids in advance (without shoes), and gave them all a card with a list of the rides they could do. (I also made a card for myself so I could keep track while in the park and make a plan on what to do with the ones that were too small while the big ones rode certain things) My younger kids felt pretty awesome getting their own "ride pass", and we had no issues or tears about rides in the park.

I agree with the others that Indy is a rough ride, I'm glad to hear you are willing to skip it this time around and not try to get around the rules.
I LOVE this idea!!
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animagic! View Post
So the next day I put on hiking boots and stood up tall. Apparently I had grown a few inches that night because the next day I was actually plenty tall enough. The hiking boots were really not much heel at all. My theory is there was some differences between the measuring methods. The "official" height measurement post out front of the attraction said I was definitely tall enough, the CM who measured me in line said I was too short. So not sure what happened there.
We absolutely lose height during the day. Standing in line for so long (if the line was out on Main Street you had a LONG wait), perhaps being in the heat of the day, maybe not hydrating enough, etc, and that's a recipe for being too short for something.

You got your rest, your spine lengthened out as spines do during sleep, you went right in the morning (and you were wearing different shoes), and of course you were able to get on.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

1) Ride early in the day. People are tallest earlier in the day.

2) Tell her that she is supposed to hit the measuring bar. Kids tend to shy away from wanting to bump their heads.

3) Tell her going in that she might make the cut at the front of the line but not at the ride entrance. If she is prepared for that, it should help prevent any big disappointments.

Have an awesome trip!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

This thread reminds me that I must show my dd7 some YouTube videos of Indy. She hasn't been tall enough during our past trips but she is now nearly 48 inches. I need to prepare her for the ride so she doesn't hate it after waiting so long.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

Mom2rtk, I like your second point. That's so true, I've never thought if that
Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #42
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

My DD12 has always loved Dino and Indy. My DD10 hates both. I'm going to try and get her on it again this time. It's the dark thing. You should see our family picture on Space Mountain - Happy Family - except this one very little girl who looks like she is going to kill somebody when she gets off. It's the same kid who would ride BTMRR or Matterhorn over and over and over. Just does not like the dark.

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
BlueBayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #43
Animagic!
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
We absolutely lose height during the day. Standing in line for so long (if the line was out on Main Street you had a LONG wait), perhaps being in the heat of the day, maybe not hydrating enough, etc, and that's a recipe for being too short for something.

You got your rest, your spine lengthened out as spines do during sleep, you went right in the morning (and you were wearing different shoes), and of course you were able to get on.
It's a plausible theory; however, on both days we attempted Indiana Jones very first thing in the morning. Theoretically, I should have been the same height.

Disney Parks enthusiast. Animation nerd. Amateur photographer.
Animagic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #44
Barry Browning
Mouseketeer

If you guys get on the ride promise me you do not get distracted and leave your purse or fanny pack.I was helping my disabled wife on and off and we managed to leave a purse and fanny pack with all our valuables in the net holder in the ride.Longest two minutes of my life til the car came back through and we got our stuff back.It can happen that quick so please be careful..
Barry Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #45
mom2kandj
East Bay, CA

Have your girl put her hands behind her back, feet together, then take a deep breath in and stand straight. Most kids gain 1/2 inch just from the deep breath. No tippy toes, no lifts, just shoes that she normally wears. If they can slide a piece of paper through, she doesn't ride and you just say, "we tried".

Also, if she has shorter legs but is tall enough, her feet may not touch the floor boards of the jeep making for a very unstable (& frightening) ride. If she can't brace herself, the feeling is like being a ragdoll with a seatbelt. Not a lot of fun for kids just trying out more "thrilling" rides.

Good luck and have fun no matter what height!
OKW January 2006
SWAN April 2005
DL and DCA too many times to count
Past DLR Cast Member 1989-2003
Can't believe how much special the magic is now that I no longer work for the mouse!
mom2kandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: