Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #91
Patience
DIS Veteran

We were magic band testers last week (loved them!) and I pulled paper fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and we also used fastpass+ for it. The CM standing by the fastpass machine didn't say a word about our magic bands.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #92
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0003 View Post
At ToT, a male CM said "I'm going to allow you to hang on to those FastPasses, but since you're using MB's, you're not allowed to use both systems."
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #93
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post

I believe you still need a KTTW card for things like EMH.
Also at storm along bay need for pool access. Here now, and they stated this.

Also CM is outta line, I called 2 times with questions. Both times I was crystal clearly told use room key. 1 specifically said they enabled room keys just to be assured working while testing. So they set if up this way.

** I was in hs last night (bb during day) didn't pull any paper fp just used 2 of my 3 fp+ ( too much rain for fantasmic). Epcot day before we pulled 2 extra fp and only used 1 of them. (Road soarin twice)
*** in the mk 3 fp is not enough. I could live with 3 in all other parks*... But mk even on Christmas Eve we pulled more than 3. I remember pulling 5 or 6. Maybe a 3 am and 3 pm will be the rules idk, but 3 in mk is not enough.

* I think it should be 3 (5/6 in mk) plus an extra 2-3 for either a character, parade, nighttime show, or non ride bonus. (Maybe get creative, and randomly magic someone with a FP for a magic moment, help make cotton candy, or ride in a parade, star in a pirate show, list of fun things could be added with no wait time. Add fp for a ton more characters. Like fairies, tigger/pooh and bell in Epcot, the monsters/toy , story/ char in back of hs. I think they need to room a few off and double characters if needed. Adding 2 /3 quick 20/30 min easy stop for younger kids at cost of pretty much only cm would be a better family experience .

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #94
EEPETEZ
Mouseketeer

I think the complaints or snarky CM comments were isolated incidents. We were there for 10 days using MB and no one said anything to us about regular FP. In fact before I agreed to test I asked IT if we would be able to use regular FP. He said "absolutely" and that they were trying to see if the "functions of the MB" worked. If regular FP had not been an option I would have not participated, there was no way I was touring WDW with only 3 FP's. If I did not participate, no big deal, regular FP is great. I don't know why everyone is upset. Disney is trying to implement an entirely new system and it still has a bunch of bugs (the app crashed our first day and nothing worked, so there was no choice but to use regular FP); so they can't have everyone testing at the same time. It would be a disaster and I think negatively affect everyone's trips.

It was fun to test MB, but if I had not been chosen would I have had a terrible trip-no. My husband and I were discussing it last night and we felt the MB didn't really make the trip better or worse, it felt the same as our previous trips. We were excited to try it and see how the "new" Disney will work, but we would also have been great with the old system.
EEPETEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #95
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzie View Post
We just used our bands for emh but the bands do not work half the time for many people *us* so it's vital to keep your kttw with you. They even told us at check in to keep them just in case.
Was it for morning or evening EMH? If it was evening, how did they determine you were a current resort guest? Did they scan the bands at each ride? (I'm assuming this is how it will eventually be done)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #96
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
We were magic band testers last week (loved them!) and I pulled paper fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and we also used fastpass+ for it. The CM standing by the fastpass machine didn't say a word about our magic bands.
If you have used your MB that day, how can you pull paper FP too? Wouldn't you need to scan your KTTW card when you entered the park in order to use it?

Further, how could you use old room keys? Wouldn't they be deactivated by then? I guess I'm confused as to how you can use both room keys and MBs.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #97
asmit4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
If you have used your MB that day, how can you pull paper FP too? Wouldn't you need to scan your KTTW card when you entered the park in order to use it?

Further, how could you use old room keys? Wouldn't they be deactivated by then? I guess I'm confused as to how you can use both room keys and MBs.
MBs are only in the testing phase and can still be very very buggy. You will also get a KTTW card to use as a backup so that's how you can 'double dip' as people are calling it. However IMO- with only 3FPs for one park per day on FP+ during testing I hardly call being able to pull an extra 2 or 3 actual FP- 'double dipping'. It puts everyone- both testers and non testers on a more even playing field IMO.
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC
asmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #98
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We used our magic bands to enter Hollywood Studios and for our first ride at Toy Story Mania. When we finished riding Toy Story, I pulled out our KTTW cards for the first and only time on our trip and used them to get paper fast passes for Toy Story Mania. When we checked in at our hotel, we already had our magic bands but they also gave us KTTW cards as a back up in case we had problems with the magic bands. I put them in my bag but only used them that one time. I think I read here that the Fastpass machines aren't connected to the Fastpass+ system which is why magic band testers can "double dip" right now.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #99
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmit4 View Post
MBs are only in the testing phase and can still be very very buggy. You will also get a KTTW card to use as a backup so that's how you can 'double dip' as people are calling it. However IMO- with only 3FPs for one park per day on FP+ during testing I hardly call being able to pull an extra 2 or 3 actual FP- 'double dipping'. It puts everyone- both testers and non testers on a more even playing field IMO.
Quote:
We used our magic bands to enter Hollywood Studios and for our first ride at Toy Story Mania. When we finished riding Toy Story, I pulled out our KTTW cards for the first and only time on our trip and used them to get paper fast passes for Toy Story Mania. When we checked in at our hotel, we already had our magic bands but they also gave us KTTW cards as a back up in case we had problems with the magic bands. I put them in my bag but only used them that one time. I think I read here that the Fastpass machines aren't connected to the Fastpass+ system which is why magic band testers can "double dip" right now.
Thanks guys. I just moved my reservation to a MB resort yesterday, and was going to try FP+ ONLY if I could also pull regular FP. I would find it to be ridiculous to only get 3 FP in a day when I could easily pull 6-8 without the FP+, and if that were the case I wouldn't opt in to test. Disney could just figure it out themselves while I rode all my FP rides!

I guess activating the MB activates the KTTW simultaneously. But then what about people using old KTTW cards from previous trips??
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #100
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

CMs get snarky when they see what they perceive as abuse. The problem is when the perception is wrong: i.e., someone using legacy fastpass because the magicband didn't work, or the gray line of it not being clear whether double-dipping is ok.

As an invisible-disability GAC user, I don't like the snarkiness. I don't think I need to be getting judged by random CMs while on vacation. I think it's a training issue that could be addressed, because to be on the receiving end of snarkiness when one is not actually abusing the system is pretty unpleasant.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #101
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmit4 View Post
It puts everyone- both testers and non testers on a more even playing field IMO.
How is it a level playing field when both groups have access to paper fastpasses, but only 1 group has access to FP+?

This (double dipping) is one of the main reasons Magic Bands and FP+ are getting rave reviews right now. Which isn't a problem as long as everyone remembers what you are testing is not reality.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #102
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

When I called up, the CM assured me that I would be able to use FP+ and FP- as well during the testing phase. She said it is a perk for being a tester. I dunno why the CMs are so catty when you are absolutely allowed to get both.

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #103
Masiri
Mouseketeer

How are you even supposed to opt out, so you don't have any dreaded "cheating the system" issues?

While I specifically linked my purchased-from-UT tickets, if you booked a package, your tickets are automatically linked (aren't they?), and you were sent magic bands automatically (assuming you were checking in at the right times to the right resort). If I hadn't been reading here, I might not have gotten to MDE in time to customize our bands.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #104
Tink_Or_Belle
Want to come to my High Meat party?
I'd hate to be Glazin Raisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0003 View Post
At TSM, a female CM said "Oh cool... You're double-dipping. That's against the rules you know."

At ToT, a male CM said "I'm going to allow you to hang on to those FastPasses, but since you're using MB's, you're not allowed to use both systems."

Normally I would stand there and argue with them, but September crowds aren't what they used to be...
were you at Tower of Terror Sunday? We had a guy tell us the same thing. Our issue was for some reason the times we signed up for and the times it showed when we scanned the bands were not the same (our app on the phone said we had Tower of terror at 1:00 Toy Story at 2:00 and rockin Roller Coaster at 3:00 that was what we signed up for and panned around. we even showed them our app but the bands showed up as not valid and they used some scanner that showed they had us at 9Am 10 am and 11 am... the Toy Story lady let us in because she said our ap was proof.. Tower of Terror told us no then the fastpass guy told us we were not supposed to use the cards... we just decided we could wait in line )
Tink_Or_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #105
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEPETEZ View Post
I think the complaints or snarky CM comments were isolated incidents. We were there for 10 days using MB and no one said anything to us about regular FP.
Yup, 9 days in the parks (come home saturday). Not a single snark or glance from a CM and we pulled paper fastapasses every day. In truly spoiled brat world, I have to say that having to find the paper fastpasses became really annoying though after you get used to swiping your band without having to hunt in your pockets for the paper.

Quote:
Not a clue, but it worked. We only used out KTTW to get paper fastpasses and a few days to get Sorcerers cards when that system was being wonky. We never used them once to enter a park, but we could get paper FP every day.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: