Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #91
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
Lol sorry about that.

2 times they were called and they were "too busy" to call back!! I'm sure they were, with putting fees like that on bills.
I don't care that some people think I should pay it. If it was disclosed to me before the appointment, I would absolutely pay it! If they actually did some type of technique to keep her calm and still, then I would pay it! If he spent a lot of time in the room and not just 10 minutes, then I would pay it! But the reality is, nothing was written on the forms that I filled out, I read what I sign! He was only in the room for no more than 10 minutes. 'I' held my daughter and kept her from moving.

Some facts - the clamp was not disposable but was actually used looking. The silicone type material on it was discolored.

They tried to bill my insurance co the $35 fee but they would not pay it. Therefore I received the bill.

I am VERY grateful to have dental coverage!! Like I said, if I felt the dentist or assistant used some techniques or spent extra time with her - I would pay it (although I think it's ridiculous especially for a 'pediatric' dentist).

For all those that think a fee should be charged for working on a child, do you think a Pediatrician should charge an extra fee that is not covered by insurance?
So you don't really know what that charge was for and you are still not going to pay it? Seems a bit premature to make that decision. I agree with the pp, it sounds like you are reacting to the "behavior management" and not looking at it logically. If you speak to someone and find out the facts, they might actually make sense.

You said you read everything you sign, did you sign a financial responsibility form that says you are responsible for any charges not covered by your insurance? If you didn't do it at that visit, I'm sure you did it at a previous one.

ETA, while they told you what the cost would be, there is always the potential of added costs depending on what they end up doing.

Last edited by luvmy3; 09-23-2013 at 06:35 PM.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #92
wiscbugs
Loving everything Disney!

Dentists, doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc that bill for this type of stuff are in it for the money, not the well-being of the patient. Do not pay the charge and move on to a real dentist who cares about your child!
wiscbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #93
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbugs View Post
Dentists, doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc that bill for this type of stuff are in it for the money, not the well-being of the patient. Do not pay the charge and move on to a real dentist who cares about your child!
I disagree. My husband is a doctor and performs his services 'for free' on a regular basis.

Try telling the plumber you have no money but you want him to fix your sink. I don't know why doctors are supposed to go to school for so many years, work as interns for next to nothing for a few more years, and then provide their services for free because they care about people.

They do care about people, but they still want to be able to earn a living.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #94
kellylfitz
Mouseketeer

Full Disclosure: I'm a dentist.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a bad time and I agree that you should find a new dentist. I don't say this because what the dentist did was necessarily wrong, but because I know that the relationship will never be able to be repaired.

That being said, I think people need to be careful judging what happened because I can tell you if there are two things people are extremely jumpy about, it is their money and their kids. Put the two together and it is like being trapped in a cage with a hungry bear. I'm not a pediatric dentist, but I don't envy their job.

As an aside, even $110.00 for the procedure (at a pediatric dentist no less) is very reasonable.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #95
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbugs
I am not a doctor, dentist, clinic or hospital, but this is a totally unfair statement. Doctors and dentists for the most part pay huge for the "privilege" of being a professional. There are the schooling costs which are extensive in their own right, BUT think of the "hidden" costs both In training and in real life practice. Doctors/dentists sacrificed their free time, sleep, eating, basically their entire lives for studying, training, testing, licensing, etc. in most situations, until the day they retire they will have after hours call, on calls, emergencies, patients calling at home (paying for unlisted numbers another hidden cost), not to mention friends and family looking for free medical advice! Let's not even begin to imagine the malpractice insurance premiums they are covering! I think that most of them are NOT compensated enough for the sacrifices they and their families make daily! Compare their salaries, schooling, sacrifices, and expenses to that of your average politician before making such a disgusting statement. Off my soapbox now...... Sorry but this comment just hit me wrong!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #96
crisi
DIS Veteran

I have to say its really nice to see people who think that if you spend $200k going to school, then put a million dollars of capital into setting up a practice, then hire at least two other people (and probably three) to work for you, that you are "in it for the money" and should get stiffed on charges. Because charging $110 to fix the tooth of a fifteen month old when you are a million dollars in debt starting out and have to pay a staff is going to make the payment on the Benz.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #97
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I had my dryer vent cleaned out by Coit yesterday. They added a $25 fuel surcharge to the $125 service call. Of course, even Schwans charges a fuel surcharge now.
So I certainly could go elsewhere, but like behavior management fees at the dentist, it is a customary and accepted charge.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #98
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylfitz View Post
Full Disclosure: I'm a dentist.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a bad time and I agree that you should find a new dentist. I don't say this because what the dentist did was necessarily wrong, but because I know that the relationship will never be able to be repaired.

That being said, I think people need to be careful judging what happened because I can tell you if there are two things people are extremely jumpy about, it is their money and their kids. Put the two together and it is like being trapped in a cage with a hungry bear. I'm not a pediatric dentist, but I don't envy their job.

As an aside, even $110.00 for the procedure (at a pediatric dentist no less) is very reasonable.
Reading between the lines: dentists don't want to deal with patients like this, either.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #99
kellylfitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Reading between the lines: dentists don't want to deal with patients like this, either.
Nah, kids for the most part are great. 99% of the time, it's the parent that is hard to deal with. Not saying that is the case with the OP. I can't pass any judgment on that since I wasn't there.

I will say this though. I no longer practice, but when I did, my practice did not have a fee for "behavior management". I obviously charged for the use of nitrous oxide or oral sedation when it was necessary and the patient wanted it, but I did not tack on a fee for especially difficult patients.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #100
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylfitz View Post
Nah, kids for the most part are great. 99% of the time, it's the parent that is hard to deal with. Not saying that is the case with the OP. I can't pass any judgment on that since I wasn't there.

I will say this though. I no longer practice, but when I did, my practice did not have a fee for "behavior management". I obviously charged for the use of nitrous oxide or oral sedation when it was necessary and the patient wanted it, but I did not tack on a fee for especially difficult patients.
I meant the parent, of course.

You were not in peds, though. And times have changed in healthcare a lot in the past couple of years. Costs are up for everything, so it's no surprise that charges might be up, also. Not that charges for "behavior management" were wrong in the first place, since it's been an accepted standard of practice for decades.

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #101
Shelleybeans
See there's this mouse... he kinda has my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Wow, that wasn't kind at all! Whether you were referring to the OP or her child. Is your intent to judge or help here?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #102
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliasmommy View Post
I would not pay for it! If it is a clamp and it is a disposable one, no way the Dentist paid 35.00 dollars for it.
No, there is an actual code for "behavioral management" billed in 15 min increments. I checked our ADA code book. I've never heard of a disposible clamp (it's a small device so the child can't bite down and cause major problems) you just autoclave them like the other instruments, no big deal. Our office isn't a pedo office but we get some pretty uptight adults! Valium works well on them. I know a lot of pedo offices sedate (the one we refer to calls it "foofoo juice") patients we refer there do really well with it. If the dentist was able to do a composite filling in 5 minutes with behavioral issues, he did well.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #103
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelleybeans View Post
Wow, that wasn't kind at all! Whether you were referring to the OP or her child. Is your intent to judge or help here?
Do you really think that this type of behavior is going to endear this PARENT to the dental staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
No way i would pay the $35 behaviour management fee! Are they joking? She's 15 months old! i'd march over to that office on monday, pay the fee (MINUS THE BEHAVIOUR MANAGEMENT FEE) and simply explain how ridiculous they are being. You helped hold her, what exactly did they do different to calm your 15 month old? seriously!
The dentist above said it would be better to find a new dentist since the relationship is probably irrepairable, and I agree. It goes both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylfitz
99% of the time, it's the parent that is hard to deal with.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #104
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

OP- Just a quick question. Would you be so upset if they said the fee was for an extended appointment? That's probably what they are charging you for.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #105
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
No, there is an actual code for "behavioral management" billed in 15 min increments. I checked our ADA code book. I've never heard of a disposible clamp (it's a small device so the child can't bite down and cause major problems) you just autoclave them like the other instruments, no big deal. Our office isn't a pedo office but we get some pretty uptight adults! Valium works well on them. I know a lot of pedo offices sedate (the one we refer to calls it "foofoo juice") patients we refer there do really well with it. If the dentist was able to do a composite filling in 5 minutes with behavioral issues, he did well.
Thank you for posting this. I would imagine the OP must have gotten her answer by now, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: