Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #76
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyKS View Post
It would bother me, the dentist was a pediactric dentist. They know they work on kids. Unless of course it was stated in new patient paperwork that they would charge it and then if they told me as my daughter was getting work done that they would be charging it, then I'd get it. But then if you are going to charge me, you hold her down.

Someone mentioned earlier that their doctor doesnt suggest their kids going to the dentist until they are 4. Mine suggests they go as soon as they have teeth. The dentist (who is a pediactric dentist) doesn't really do much the first 3 or 4 times we go, just plays around in the mouth to get them used to it. Didn't charge much for those first few visits.
Nobody knows what the charge is for until the OP comes back and updates. It may absolutely nothing to do with holding the patient down.

My kid's dentist starts seeing patients at age 3. We have been going to him for almost 13 years. We got charged for our first visit.
Just because your dentist doesn't do something (like charge you for your clamp or charge for a kid's first visit) doesn't mean that all dentist shouldn't
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #77
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Nobody knows what the charge is for until the OP comes back and updates. It may absolutely nothing to do with holding the patient down.

Just because your dentist doesn't do something (like charge you for your clamp or charge for a kid's first visit) doesn't mean that all dentist shouldn't
In fact it could mean the dentist is working the costs of the clamp into every appointment, even if it's not needed. So dentists that don't charge extra may effectively be charging everyone extra . . .
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #78
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryncess527 View Post
In fact it could mean the dentist is working the costs of the clamp into every appointment, even if it's not needed. So dentists that don't charge extra may effectively be charging everyone extra . . .
Yes, absolutely.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #79
DOREEN1779
Mouseketeer

Come on OP...I need closure....Did you call?
DOREEN1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #80
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliasmommy View Post
I would not pay for it! If it is a clamp and it is a disposable one, no way the Dentist paid 35.00 dollars for it.
Each piece of equipment has the cost of using it, etc in the use of it. Just like in the hospital. The aspirin doesn't cost $20 but everything has additional costs. Or when in a restaurant you aren't just paying for the food cost.

If the behavioral management is code for the clamp then they might be better off explaining that. The op can't be the first to call about it.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #81
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOREEN1779
Lol

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
PrettyFlower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #82
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Each piece of equipment has the cost of using it, etc in the use of it. Just like in the hospital. The aspirin doesn't cost $20 but everything has additional costs. Or when in a restaurant you aren't just paying for the food cost.

If the behavioral management is code for the clamp then they might be better off explaining that. The op can't be the first to call about it.
Itemized bills are really more for the insurance companies than for the patients.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #83
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
Itemized bills are really more for the insurance companies than for the patients.
Every time one of us has been hospitalized I have found huge bill mistakes. Was charged for 3 rhogam shots during one birth...

Everyone should read and understand them and ask questions
Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #84
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Every time one of us has been hospitalized I have found huge bill mistakes. Was charged for 3 rhogam shots during one birth...

Everyone should read and understand them and ask questions
I absolutely agree. That's the point - the OP should have waited and asked what it was before automatically assuming that it was nonsense and ranting about it. And other posters shouldn't have added fuel to the fire without having all of the information.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #85
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Eh, it doesn't hurt to holler and vent to strangers on occasion. I do hope that the op gets an answer she likes. In general the price paid was great!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #86
Shelleybeans
See there's this mouse... he kinda has my heart!

Quote:
Eh, it doesn't hurt to holler and vent to strangers on occasion. I do hope that the op gets an answer she likes. In general the price paid was great!
Agreed. I'm here to support my (obviously frustrated) fellow Dis-er, not knock her down again when she comes to us to vent. Oh and add my own personal experience from the other side of the dental chair.

The clamp is used often. Whether it is a rubber dam clamp or a bite block of some sort. There is no special training for those. And every dental office I've ever worked at has had these in stock. We have even used disposable bite blocks with suction and retraction capabilities. No extra charge.

OP I hope you find closure.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #87
Alesia
DIS Veteran

I totally get feeling the need to vent. I guess I just feel that saying, "Why not just wait and find out exactly what the charge is for before you fly off the handle?" to be more helpful and reasonable than, "If I were you I would march down there and throw a fit and refuse to pay it."

I don't think that is being "supportive," I think it's adding more stress to the OP's situation.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #88
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOREEN1779 View Post
Lol sorry about that.

2 times they were called and they were "too busy" to call back!! I'm sure they were, with putting fees like that on bills.
I don't care that some people think I should pay it. If it was disclosed to me before the appointment, I would absolutely pay it! If they actually did some type of technique to keep her calm and still, then I would pay it! If he spent a lot of time in the room and not just 10 minutes, then I would pay it! But the reality is, nothing was written on the forms that I filled out, I read what I sign! He was only in the room for no more than 10 minutes. 'I' held my daughter and kept her from moving.

Some facts - the clamp was not disposable but was actually used looking. The silicone type material on it was discolored.

They tried to bill my insurance co the $35 fee but they would not pay it. Therefore I received the bill.

I am VERY grateful to have dental coverage!! Like I said, if I felt the dentist or assistant used some techniques or spent extra time with her - I would pay it (although I think it's ridiculous especially for a 'pediatric' dentist).

For all those that think a fee should be charged for working on a child, do you think a Pediatrician should charge an extra fee that is not covered by insurance?
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #89
Eastern
DIS Veteran

If your dentist participates with the insurance company, you are not responsible for the bill. He has agreed to accept payment by the insurance company.

Do I think they should charge an extra fee? Apparently, it is a common practice. You are emotionally reacting to the term 'behavior management'. I know that our pediatricians bill for any extra time spent on patient management. For example, if I need forms filled out for school, there is a $10 fee. It used to be free. But insurance companies are paying doctors less and less and they have to find ways to stay profitable.

It is a business, like anything else. They don't work for free.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #90
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
Whether it's 'allowed' or not, it's rediculous. Post it on facebook, you should get enough responses that pediactric dentist's might take notice.
Wonderful idea!
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: