Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #706
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Pam, I booked the Springhill Suites in FLL for the night before the cruise. My friend's discount isn't applicable the day we need it for that hotel, darn. It may be available for others so if you find a different Marriott, let me know which one and I'll plug in her code. I figure staying in FLL will be easy and Joshua and I will have more than enough time to get to Miami in the morning. I haven't booked our outbound flights but we could land as late as 11 pm depending on what the flight rates do. Not optimum so I'm thinking that FLL might be a better option.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #707
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
They're mine yes but belong to the business ultimately. I think they're so special. Not only are the gorgeous but no one was hurt harvesting them or bringing them over from Africa. All diamonds should be mined conflict free. Plus Michael and his partner mined them.

He mined them himself, how cool is that! I had no idea how horrible things can be over there unil I saw Blood Diamond with Leonardo Dicaprio. Very sad.

Quote:
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I swear I think I know more sick people right now than not. Something very contagious is going around. Feel better.
Thanks so much. Today has been much better than last week. Hopefully it won't hang on too long.

Quote:
Is your church Saturday or Sunday?
Saturday, I'm a 7th Day Adventist.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #708
Pinkocto

Quote:
Pam, I booked the Springhill Suites in FLL for the night before the cruise. My friend's discount isn't applicable the day we need it for that hotel, darn. It may be available for others so if you find a different Marriott, let me know which one and I'll plug in her code. I figure staying in FLL will be easy and Joshua and I will have more than enough time to get to Miami in the morning. I haven't booked our outbound flights but we could land as late as 11 pm depending on what the flight rates do. Not optimum so I'm thinking that FLL might be a better option.
What made you pick that one? Bummer about the discount. FLL is very easy. Have you checked out SAS for transportation? They're who I'll go with, not sure how early is too early to contact them. Oh my on getting home that late, at least no school the next day. Hopefully prices will go down. What time are you thinking of flying out? They'll let you off the ship pretty early if you take all your bags yourself instead of DCL taking them the night before.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #709
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
He mined them himself, how cool is that! I had no idea how horrible things can be over there unil I saw Blood Diamond with Leonardo Dicaprio. Very sad.

Thanks so much. Today has been much better than last week. Hopefully it won't hang on too long.

Saturday, I'm a 7th Day Adventist.

Glad you're feeling better. Whatever is going around lingers. Michael has it right now and he never gets sick.

Conflict free mining is fairly new so to speak. There was a huge civil war there too about 15-20 years ago. Michael has met many young men and women with a missing hand/arm just like in the movie. Very sad but very amazing, the love and strength in the villages he's visited. I don't want to hijack my own thread but let me find some pics and I'll post them for you of the villages and people. Michael and his buddy started their Eco friendly and humane harvesting of diamond business a couple of years ago. Their story is pretty cool. They reconnected through my FB a few years ago and took off as besties like they were 25 years ago. Some good does come from FB. Here are a few photos that I have on my iPad. I've got about 1,000 more on the computer but don't want to bore you to tears.

Quote:
What made you pick that one? Bummer about the discount. FLL is very easy. Have you checked out SAS for transportation? They're who I'll go with, not sure how early is too early to contact them. Oh my on getting home that late, at least no school the next day. Hopefully prices will go down. What time are you thinking of flying out? They'll let you off the ship pretty early if you take all your bags yourself instead of DCL taking them the night before.

I don't know. Lol! I posted a thread about FLL hotels and it got a few recommendations. I'll research more for sure but for now, it just feels good to have one booked.

Disney says not to fly out before 11:30 I think. I don't mind having to wait in the airport. Our flight leaves at 12:50 out of FLL. I think we have to be off the ship by 9 at the latest so that should leave us plenty of time. We change planes in Denver and arrive home at 6:50 pm. On the way there the flight I'm looking has 2 stops. I have got to find a better flight.

I like church on a different day than Sunday. We also have services on some Saturday mornings.

Last edited by rentayenta; 09-22-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #710
Pinkocto

That's quite a story about Michael and his friend, very cool. I'm never bored with pictures, thank you for sharing

I hope Michael feels better soon, this is the pits.

Two stops does not sound fun, fingers crossed you can find a better one. They say you have to be off by 9:00 but I'm usually just getting in line to get off. I milk the experience for all its worth, hate getting off the ship!

Since I'm getting in so late I'm going to look for something right by the airport. Some people at work say to just stay at the airport all night but I need my rest, can't start off vacation sleepy.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #711
rentayenta

Quote:
That's quite a story about Michael and his friend, very cool. I'm never bored with pictures, thank you for sharing

Two stops does not sound fun, fingers crossed you can find a better one. They say you have to be off by 9:00 but I'm usually just getting in line to get off. I milk the experience for all its worth, hate getting off the ship!

Since I'm getting in so late I'm going to look for something right by the airport. Some people at work say to just stay at the airport all night but I need my rest, can't start off vacation sleepy.

I think they have hotels at the Miami airport! Are you flying into Miami or FLL? I'll look because I swear Miami has airports on site which sounds nuts but cool too. Remember if you find a Marriott or Hilton let me know and we'll plug in my friend's code to see if its applicable. Now that we're during Spring Break, it may not apply but it's worth giving it a shot.

I'm sure we'll milk it too. Do you go to the main siding room for your final breakfast or the buffet? What time will our time be if we're late seating?

187 days again!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #712
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:

Those people are nuts! You need a bed and a private potty for the night. Are they homeless?

Jenny, I am intrigued by yhis whole story of your DH. He is definitely a man of intrigue, firefighter, model, diamond miner, what dies he reakky do?
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #713
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

Those people are nuts! You need a bed and a private potty for the night. Are they homeless?

Jenny, I am intrigued by yhis whole story of your DH. He is definitely a man of intrigue, firefighter, model, diamond miner, what dies he reakky do?
He's not a model. He does go on photo shoots with A&F and other companies but works as either the paramedic on set or the Moho driver (driving crew to and from location).

You're hilarious. He and his buddy (who owns the Moho business) did start the diamond mining venture together a few years ago. It's a very long story with lots of details but basically they go through the proper channels from obtaining the mining license in Africa to exporting the diamonds through the Kimberly Process. His buddy's wife is Israeli and her father works at the bourse in Israel and has for 40+ years. This is what gave them the idea to start this. Everyone thought they were insane, some still do. Someone has to bring diamonds from Africa so why not them? Haha!

They have put everything into this business and still do. It's a lot of hard work but exciting travel too. The stories are crazy cool.

He is a full time firefighter/paramedic for Layton City Fire here in Utah. Fortunately his fire schedule allows for flexibility. He's about 2 1/2 years from his 20 at the FD.

They're expanding the business to start to include some retail sales which wasn't a thought when they started this. They are both very ethical with regards to the environment and miners and wages etc...

I could go on and on but I'm sure you're asleep by now.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #714
rentayenta

And I agree with Alison, sleeping in the airport is bonkers unless your 18 and traveling Europe!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #715
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

How cool on the diamond mining! How did they even come up with the idea? Definitely nice benefits for you.

Jill in CO
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #716
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
How cool on the diamond mining! How did they even come up with the idea? Definitely nice benefits for you.

Jill in CO
Its not at all as glamorous as it sounds for me anyway. But yes, the earrings and ring are very nice and I love them. I find it fascinating that Michael knows exactly where they came from and that no one was hurt in the process. They've become very involved with helping the local village too. Joshua is collecting used soccer equipment for the kids there. Look on my FB. I've got lots of pics from last year.

His partner's FIL works in the diamond industry in Israel. That's what sparked the idea. Crazy huh?! They're still learning so much.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #717
jedijill

Quote:
Its not at all as glamorous as it sounds for me anyway. But yes, the earrings and ring are very nice and I love them. I find it fascinating that Michael knows exactly where they came from and that no one was hurt in the process. They've become very involved with helping the local village too. Joshua is collecting used soccer equipment for the kids there. Look on my FB. I've got lots of pics from last year.

His partner's FIL works in the diamond industry in Israel. That's what sparked the idea. Crazy huh?! They're still learning so much.
That's the best part...helping the locals. Good for Joshua! I'm involved in microlending.....not as glamorous as boots on the ground but I hope it has an impact on those who need a hand up.

Jill in CO
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #718
rentayenta

Quote:
That's the best part...helping the locals. Good for Joshua! I'm involved in microlending.....not as glamorous as boots on the ground but I hope it has an impact on those who need a hand up.

Jill in CO

Whats micro lending? I know very little about finance anything outside trying to balance my own checkbook.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #719
jedijill

Quote:
Whats micro lending? I know very little about finance anything outside trying to balance my own checkbook.
Microlending is making small loans directly to people. I go through Kiva.org. You can loan out as little as $25 and your money is bundled with other lenders and loaned to individuals running businesses. I've loaned money to women in Africa to buy supplies for their businesses and am currently lending money to a guy in Mongolia for his auto repair business. Once a month I get money repaid and once I have enough repaid, I loan it to another individual.

Jill in CO
Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #720
rentayenta

Quote:
Microlending is making small loans directly to people. I go through Kiva.org. You can loan out as little as $25 and your money is bundled with other lenders and loaned to individuals running businesses. I've loaned money to women in Africa to buy supplies for their businesses and am currently lending money to a guy in Mongolia for his auto repair business. Once a month I get money repaid and once I have enough repaid, I loan it to another individual.

Jill in CO

Thats fascinating. I've heard of Kiva actually. What a very rewarding job. It takes a village. I bet you've heard some interesting stories?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: