Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #31
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
Just curious, do you think a Pediatrician should charge a behavioral management fee? I have to hold DD down when she gets her shots.
I had never heard of the fee before, just pointing out that after some research it is apparently common and accepted practice. I will add, that Medicare also considers this a legitimate charge for those covered, so it's not just kids or dentists.

I have no opinion on whether it should be charged.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #32
Shelleybeans
See there's this mouse... he kinda has my heart!

Quote:
My 15 month old daughter broke her front tooth and the dentist needed to put a bonding on it because it was sharp and also the tooth could have been sensitive. He instructs me how to hold her, which I did very well. They put the clamp in her mouth and for the next 5 minutes he puts on the bonding. She was screaming the entire time, they close the door and the assistant kept saying, "It's okay, shhh". So today I get a bill for $110 (it should have been $50 but that's another rant) and $35 of that is for "Behavior Management"! Seriously!? And while I'm on a tangent - why do bills always arrive on Saturday so I can stew about them all weekend!?

P.S. He is a "Pediatric Dentist"!
UNACCEPTABLE. I worked as a dental assistant for 13 years in WA state prior to becoming an RN 3 years ago. We NEVER charged for behavior management once. I know because I was the one who entered the charges and/ or verbally told the receptionist what to bill for. I am shocked that they charged you for something without giving you a quote ahead of time!!!! What 15 month old would hold still and not yell out for that!?
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #33
pigletto
DIS Veteran

That does seem like a weird charge. I mean if you are a pediatric dentist, it kind of goes with the territory doesn't it? I can see having something built into your fees because you spend a considerable amount of time managing frightened children, but "behavior management" just doesn't seem right.

My son was terrified of the dentist and had a really strong gag reflex. He would try his best but always got sick and when he finally threw up all over the chair and the dental assistant we were referred to a pediatric dentist. It was 2 hours away and astronomically expensive, but luckily we were covered. I don't remember seeing anything about "behavior management" on the nearly $1200 bill but then again, he was sedated and had surgery so there was no behavior to be managed with a sleeping 5 year old".
Luckily he grew out of that quickly.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My kid's dentist must not charge for behavior management otherwise my ds would be charged every time.
I don't really see the issue with the charge in general, but OP I would call them and ask exactly what kind of behavior management they did because by your description it doesn't sound like anything above and beyond normal care.

And to the pp who asked if pediatricians should charge, absolutely. I say that as a mom who has needed 2 nurses to come in and help me hold my son still for his shots. They were taken away from what they were doing and put at risk. He is better now that he is older, but I have left that office feeling like I owe them something.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Our family dentist had a unique form of behavior management. With kids old enough to go into his office alone, he slapped them if they acted out. Only heard about this a couple of years ago. Otherwise, he was a great dentist, did fine work.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I remember going to a pediatric dentist, but don't recall any kids acting out, but my first visit to a regular dentist, a kid threw up in the waiting area.

My kids never went to a pediatric dentist. But our dentist was a neighbor, so for my kids, it was like going to the neighbor's office for a visit, not a trip to the dentist.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

I had the same thing happen to me when my little one (maybe 2) needed her tooth pulled. They wouldn't let me go back with her and she was scared. So they ended up putting some device on her that held her arms and legs down. Then, charged me for it.

I was pissed and never went back and got really mad.

I'm still mad..and my daughter just turned 11

sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Okay, you peeked my curiosity. So I googled it.

Behavior management fees are common, and accepted in dentistry. Government programs that pay for children's allow a charge for it. The ADA lists it as something a normal dentist's office would charge.

Many dentists with websites even got a step further and disclose it on their websites:

http://www.magicsmilesdds.com/office.../fees-policies

BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT: In our practice we occasionally find it necessary to invest beyond standard appointment time in the Management of certain patients. This may be due to medical, emotional, or behavioral issues. We are more than willing to provide this service; however there is a charge of an additional behavior management fee on “kid time.” This fee is related to the cost of committing the time and staff to achieve the optimum outcome for more sensitive patients.

Just because a provider *CAN* bill for it, doesn't mean that they *SHOULD*. If there is a CPT code associated with the fee, there is a specific definition of what service it covers, not "almost" describes it, not "its seems like it produces a fair amount".....drives me crazy how many providers with "code stuff" into a CPT code to maximize their reimbursement. Not saying this is what the dentist did, but it is not unheard of and if the OP has a concern she should seek more information.

OP- you would be within your rights inquire as to what precise service the dentist was attributing to "behavior management" and then make your decision as to whether or not you believe it was warranted and then decide whether to continue with the practice.
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014
Back to Alaska on the Wonder in 2015

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #39
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

Could that fee refer to any kind of sedation, nitrous oxide or other numbing agents used?

It sounds like you're offended by the name of this service, but you need to ask what it actually refers to.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post
Could that fee refer to any kind of sedation, nitrous oxide or other numbing agents used?

It sounds like you're offended by the name of this service, but you need to ask what it actually refers to.
He didn't use any of that. Just a clamp to keep her mouth open and 'stuff' he attached to the tooth.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #41
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
He didn't use any of that. Just a clamp to keep her mouth open and 'stuff' he attached to the tooth.
I wonder if it is for the use of the clamp?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #42
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
Our family dentist had a unique form of behavior management. With kids old enough to go into his office alone, he slapped them if they acted out. Only heard about this a couple of years ago. Otherwise, he was a great dentist, did fine work.
If a dentist ever slapped my daughter, he'd find himself in handcuffs!!! Are you kidding me???? Unique? He'd absolutely find himself on the wrong side of a lawsuit for assault.
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
buckirj1
DIS Veteran

Behavior Management is a valid charge. I don't see what all the fuss is about, except I suspect the name is what sets off the mommy-types.
buckirj1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #44
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
My first dentist in the early 70's here in VA attempted to slap me, I yelled don't hit me and my df came in, because he heard us both yelling.. He got a black eye,hopefully after that he learned his lesson.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #45
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckirj1 View Post
Behavior Management is a valid charge. I don't see what all the fuss is about, except I suspect the name is what sets off the mommy-types.
I think that it is the fact that the parent didn't know about it in advance. Unethical.

The ofc staff didn't do any behavior management either. Except class the doors...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: