Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

My 15 month old daughter broke her front tooth and the dentist needed to put a bonding on it because it was sharp and also the tooth could have been sensitive. He instructs me how to hold her, which I did very well. They put the clamp in her mouth and for the next 5 minutes he puts on the bonding. She was screaming the entire time, they close the door and the assistant kept saying, "It's okay, shhh". So today I get a bill for $110 (it should have been $50 but that's another rant) and $35 of that is for "Behavior Management"! Seriously!? And while I'm on a tangent - why do bills always arrive on Saturday so I can stew about them all weekend!?

P.S. He is a "Pediatric Dentist"!

UPDATE: The lady in billing called back and said they dropped the fee. Lesson learned - if you bring your baby to the dentist, tell them not to cry.
11/2013 - POP Century

Last edited by ThisIsTheYear; 10-04-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Added update
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
My 15 month old daughter broke her front tooth and the dentist needed to put a bonding on it because it was sharp and also the tooth could have been sensitive. He instructs me how to hold her, which I did very well. They put the clamp in her mouth and for the next 5 minutes he puts on the bonding. She was screaming the entire time, they close the door and the assistant kept saying, "It's okay, shhh". So today I get a bill for $110 (it should have been $50 but that's another rant) and $35 of that is for "Behavior Management"! Seriously!? And while I'm on a tangent - why do bills always arrive on Saturday so I can stew about them all weekend!?

WHATTTTTTTTT?

I never heard of that. My kiddos are all older but they went to the dentist starting at age 18 months. My youngest was a p.i.t.a about it all. But I never paid a Behavior Management fee.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Time to find a new dentist.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
Time to find a new dentist.
Unfortunately that was the new dentist. My old wonderful dentist no longer takes our dental insurance.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post

I would definitely be making a call on Monday and finding out exactly what "behavior management" means and why they think it's appropriate to charge it for a 15 month old! What was she supposed to do, have no problem with such a grown-up procedure?? I'd want an outline of what that was for, and then consider finding yet another dentist if this one expects a little one to make no noise with something scary going on.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I would definitely be making a call on Monday and finding out exactly what "behavior management" means and why they think it's appropriate to charge it for a 15 month old! What was she supposed to do, have no problem with such a grown-up procedure?? I'd want an outline of what that was for, and then consider finding yet another dentist if this one expects a little one to make no noise with something scary going on.

NNOOOOO way. Horrible. CAn you report to BBB?
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
DvF Diva
Mouseketeer

You have GOT to be kidding!?! Since YOU were the one holding her, will they give you the Behavior Management fee? It sounds ridiculous to me.
How much does insurance cover? Does it sound like they're tacking on extra fees to try to wring more out of your insurance company?

In either case, I would not be comfortable with that and I'd find a new pediatric dentist. DS is only 3, so I don't know how often they're supposed to go. Once a year? Every 6 months? Our pediatricians do not recommend going to the dentist until they're 4.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

Aren't you suppose to approve things that are outside of insurance's coverage? That is wrong a many levels.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Time for a new dentist. We went through 3 pediatric dentists. I finally just took the kids to our regular dentist. Much better care and no weird charges or procedures because they are kids.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
seashell724
DIS Veteran

What?!?! That is crazy business. Of course your poor baby would be freaking out. Only 15 months old! I would go somewhere else right away. My daughter just went to a regular dentist that is very good with kids. I have heard that pediatric dentists charge so much more because they bill themselves as "pediatric". This is probably where this stupid charge came from. If the child's behaviour was dangerous to the dentist like biting or something then I can see them talking to you about future charges but still...
I'm even mad about this.
seashell724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

It's time to keep looking for a better dentist! I don't know why but the pediatric dentists are lousy around here too. We have had much better luck from a family practice.

How did they think a 15 month old would react? Open her mouth and say "please" and "thank you"? She's just a baby and her behavior was normal!

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

I also think you should call your insurance company and ask about this charge.

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

I guess I could see being upset at that being itemized on the bill.
But stepping back, you got a dentist to do something that entire procedure for only $110? Not sure you could have a dentist do anything for just $50.

Actually, having a second to think about it, I can see a pediatric dentist, who deals with difficult patients, would have such a charge.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Okay, you peeked my curiosity. So I googled it.

Behavior management fees are common, and accepted in dentistry. Government programs that pay for children's allow a charge for it. The ADA lists it as something a normal dentist's office would charge.

Many dentists with websites even got a step further and disclose it on their websites:

http://www.magicsmilesdds.com/office.../fees-policies

BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT: In our practice we occasionally find it necessary to invest beyond standard appointment time in the Management of certain patients. This may be due to medical, emotional, or behavioral issues. We are more than willing to provide this service; however there is a charge of an additional behavior management fee on “kid time.” This fee is related to the cost of committing the time and staff to achieve the optimum outcome for more sensitive patients.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Whether it's 'allowed' or not, it's rediculous. Post it on facebook, you should get enough responses that pediactric dentist's might take notice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: