Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

anyone done AK/CR split before

I am considering this split for next year and wondering if anyone has done it before?? AKL looks amazing and I know our kids would love it, I just don't like how far it is from MK as we will be there 2 days and a MNSSHP....so I was considering CR for the first part of our stay and then moving to AK for the second half....good idea or no?? of course if free dining is better then room only discount it would not be doable.....I would like to try AKL before we cannot stay there after youngest is 3.
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
karenklo
DIS Veteran

WE have done a split stay. We did 3 days at POFQ and 4 days at the Poly. It was easy to get up early, pack up our car and drive over to the poly. WE were all checked in by 8am and off to RD! We have also stayed at the AKL for a week. IT really did not feel like it was that far away! Your kids will love it there! Enjoy your split stay!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am considering this split for next year and wondering if anyone has done it before?? AKL looks amazing and I know our kids would love it, I just don't like how far it is from MK as we will be there 2 days and a MNSSHP....so I was considering CR for the first part of our stay and then moving to AK for the second half....good idea or no?? of course if free dining is better then room only discount it would not be doable.....I would like to try AKL before we cannot stay there after youngest is 3.
We did a split of AKL/Poly years ago. I kind of missed AKL when we moved. I liked the resort so much. I think you'll like the move (though the room may seem very small after the larger CR room).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

We did this EXACT split last year. We did 3 nights at CR (technically BLT) then moved to AK for 3 more nights. Highly recommend savannah view. All of us were so excited to walk out every morning and eat breakfast and watch the animals.

Both resorts are amazing. Dont worry about "how far" AK is from everything, Honestly it really isnt. The bus system is great. We just sat back and relaxed and enjoyed the ride. The pool at AK is awesome, in fact I cant say enough good things about this resort. All the places to eat here are great too.

CR is just so cool being walking distance to MK. We are originally Poly fans but we now are making CR or BLT "our place".

AK is a VERY close second.....
Have a blast, this is a great split stay!!!!!!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've done a few split stays with AKL/AKV. As a stand alone resort, AKL/AKV is my favorite but the location is remote so I think a split stay is the best way to do it. It's very relaxing there so do it on the 2nd have or your vacation and build in a little bit of resort time!!!

The only bus ride I think is excruciatingly long is the one to MK. As long as you aren't going to MK from AKL/AKV, I don't think the bus rides are terrible.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks.....it does seem like a great split stay option...my only concern would be the dining plan and tickets...to get dining plan I would have to buy tickets on each stay right??? this would end up costing me more?
But I KNOW this will be our last disney trip for a while as it was hard to convince DH to do this one so I don't want to miss out on staying at AKL...one thing we did love about the poly though was how big the room was, will AKL feel small??
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
princessap
DIS Veteran

considering we have the following planned what would everyone suggest for days/nights at which resort

Arrive on a sunday
MK MOnday morning (has to be our first park!)
MNSSHP Tuesday
The only other thing we have planned is for MK to be our last park too (which is throwing the split stay off as it will be far from AKL).

I was thinking CR Sunday-Wednesday and then making Wednesday a resort, sleep in, pool day

Thursday Epcot
Friday Hollywood studios
Saturday MK again
Sunday go home

But Epcot is easier from CR too?!?! decisions decisions
Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Hi!

Sounds like a good plan. Epcot is easier from the AKL IMO. From CR you have to take monorail then change to another monorail. From AKL you get on the bus and go straight there without changing.

I did wonder: Aren't you going to the AK? Perhaps a 1/2 day there on your last Saturday. You could still finish up at the MK. Just a thought. It seems a shame to stay at AKL and not go to the AK which is so very close.

Unless you are doing the DP this looks great to me!!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I was thinking of maybe doing dining plan at CR and then renting points or doing room only for akl. I showed pictures to my 4 year old and she loved akl!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Theme and pool could be better...

I agree that a nicer pool area would be great at the CR. The problem with the theme at CR is just that it is so bland and plain. Disney knows how to make resorts attractive, why don't they put more effort into this one? Some pretty lighting, plants and fountains would make such a difference!

Regarding the pool, we have rented a cabana for our time staying pool side. I am hoping that will make it feel a bit more special, while providing shade for everyone. the pool area looks a bit open to the sun to me. If you are interested, there are 4 cabanas and they can be rented for either a half day or a full day but they do need to be booked in advance.

While I wasn't really excited about staying here at first, CR is growing on me. I now think that it will be an incredible place to stay. I remember the first time we stayed at the BC and could walk to Epcot. It was so convenient!! With little ones needing naps and rests, I am now certain that for our family the CR is the best choice. I am really happy to not have to depend upon any transportation to/from the MK. This vacation is going to be AWESOME!!! I am sure that yours will be too!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If a split is doable, I think an AKL/CR would be a great split. We didn't think the AKL transportation was bad at all. The buses only go to AKL and Kidani, so there's no sharing with any other resort(s). AKL is kind of out away from everything, but since there are no other resorts involved, it doesn't take more than about 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts.

Quote:
my only concern would be the dining plan and tickets...to get dining plan I would have to buy tickets on each stay right??? this would end up costing me more?
But I KNOW this will be our last disney trip for a while as it was hard to convince DH to do this one so I don't want to miss out on staying at AKL...one thing we did love about the poly though was how big the room was, will AKL feel small??
You are correct about the DDP and tickets. You would need a minimum 1 day base with each stay if you paid for the DDP and a 2 day base for FD. The extra tickets can be saved and used on a future trip, but that does add cost to the current trip.

As far as room size, unfortunately, the rooms at AKL are considerably smaller than the Poly and you will notice a difference.

Quote:
considering we have the following planned what would everyone suggest for days/nights at which resort

Arrive on a sunday
MK MOnday morning (has to be our first park!)
MNSSHP Tuesday
The only other thing we have planned is for MK to be our last park too (which is throwing the split stay off as it will be far from AKL).

I was thinking CR Sunday-Wednesday and then making Wednesday a resort, sleep in, pool day

Thursday Epcot
Friday Hollywood studios
Saturday MK again
Sunday go home

But Epcot is easier from CR too?!?! decisions decisions
I would do CR first since you do MK your first day and then will be doing MNSSHP the second day. I'm confused on your split day. Will you be checking out of CR on Wednesday and staying at AKL Wednesday-Sunday? If so, you would have to be checked out of the CR by 11:00 and your room at AKL might not be ready until later in the day, so not much time for sleeping in and enjoying the pool all day. Other than that, I think it looks good and you would get to try 2 new resorts .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Eddy
Mouseketeer

Look To Renting Points

If you rent points you would not have to buy tickets for the dinning plan
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
If a split is doable, I think an AKL/CR would be a great split. We didn't think the AKL transportation was bad at all. The buses only go to AKL and Kidani, so there's no sharing with any other resort(s). AKL is kind of out away from everything, but since there are no other resorts involved, it doesn't take more than about 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts.

You are correct about the DDP and tickets. You would need a minimum 1 day base with each stay if you paid for the DDP and a 2 day base for FD. The extra tickets can be saved and used on a future trip, but that does add cost to the current trip.

As far as room size, unfortunately, the rooms at AKL are considerably smaller than the Poly and you will notice a difference.

I would do CR first since you do MK your first day and then will be doing MNSSHP the second day. I'm confused on your split day. Will you be checking out of CR on Wednesday and staying at AKL Wednesday-Sunday? If so, you would have to be checked out of the CR by 11:00 and your room at AKL might not be ready until later in the day, so not much time for sleeping in and enjoying the pool all day. Other than that, I think it looks good and you would get to try 2 new resorts .
I think that the plan is to move on Thursday to AKL. The beginning of the stay is at CR from Sunday to Wednesday inclusive then moving to AKL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: