Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Does the fingerprint scan really work?

A work colleague swears that he tested the fingerprint scan by swapping tickets with his wife, and they both got the green light at the turnstile.

Any DISers ever (accidentally or intentionally) switched tickets, and couldn't get through the turnstile? Or could?
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Switching tickets WITHIN a party (e.g. switching with your wife) is allowed.

Switching BETWEEN parties (e.g. you buying someone else's ticket on the street corner and trying to use it) is not allowed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Hulkling
Earning My Ears

My sister and I had identical paper APs once, and could not get in using each other's pass. Also my mom once had a cut on the finger she had used, and we had to go to guest services to get her into the park.
Hulkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
FlowerInAdversity
Earning My Ears

If you guy your tickets in a group, they're all linked together. On the old turnstiles, it would tell the cast member if another person in the party was using it, but it still works!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

I thought this was going to be about the new iPhone.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

The fingerprint scanners work properly.

Last week my girlfriend couldn't remember which finger she used during our trip on June. On our first park day last week, she got denied twice for using the wrong fingers before I remembered she used her right thumb on our last trip and upon trying that, it worked and passed her.
Dannek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

We got magicbands and it knew our fingerprint on our AP card. We needed to switch from the fingers to the thumb we used on old card. Several times DS did not have his finger in well and it denied him (blue light). Just saying in our case it was looking for an exact match.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkling View Post
My sister and I had identical paper APs once, and could not get in using each other's pass. Also my mom once had a cut on the finger she had used, and we had to go to guest services to get her into the park.
maybe they should make them match against blood samples then your mom's open sore would have worked.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #14, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
DIS Veteran

It's a biometric scanner, NOT a fingerprint scanner, does not read fingerprints, just the shape of your finger.

It is much more accurate (higher resolution) with the new touch-point entries than it was with the legacy turnstiles.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
It's a biometric scanner, NOT a fingerprint scanner, does not read fingerprints, just the shape of your finger.

It is much more accurate (higher resolution) with the new touch-point entries than it was with the legacy turnstiles.
It isn't the shape of the finger, but the "shape" of the fingerprint.

"Biometric" just means it is converting some sort of biological identification to a numeric value for comparison. It could be a finger scan, geometry scan (i.e. shape of finger, or really bone structure in the fingers - the old system did that), retina scan, DNA, pheromones, quantum state, etc.

The type of scanners in use DO use a scan of the fingerprint. But it isn't doing a full image comparison of it - that would be slow and require more data. Instead, it is looking at the ridges of the fingerprint, identifying prominent points (the folds, bifurcations, loops, etc.), picking several, and creating a geometric model that is then turned into a numerical value - typically 4-5 digits, depending on tolerance for duplicates. It can do this relatively fast and accurately with a low chance of a false negative (although obviously finger problems will cause issues).

The finger scanners that are becoming prevalent on laptops work very similarly (well, the software used to compare against a stored value does), although instead of an optical sensor, it is a capacitance sensor that you drag your finger across. Think of it as being like a document scanner, one line at a time...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Hootch
DIS Veteran

I actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
I thought this was going to be about the new iPhone.
thought of the Disney scanners when the news reports were coming out about the IPhone fingerprint recognition. People are worried about the scanners being too particular and giving false negatives. The experts guessed that the system would be designed to have more false positives than false negatives.

The Disney system is designed, I believe, the whittle it down to one out of a thousand - not an exact match. That would seem to be a sufficient deterrent for Apple. I would not pay big money for a one in a thousand chance of it working.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: