Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #1486
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doombuqqy View Post
I was running along and noticed they felt weird and realized the glue separated on both of them.
Is this a common thing to have happen?? I just noticed the other day that one shoe from my new pair of Asics makes a squeaking-type of sound... only one of them. I couldn't figure out why... now I'm paranoid that I'll be running along and it'll come apart!!

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #1487
heyitsmejosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
You need to contact RD to see if you can swap the bibs for a ticket. The bib will not get you in through the front entrance of HS. Runners with bibs enter though the back of HS near TOT.
what if they started the race, got as far as they could walk and then just dropped out? that would work wouldnt it?
heyitsmejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #1488
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Hi ToT runners! I'm not running this year but would like to next year. DH and I both run and we want to do it but don't want to leave the kids at home. We all adore Halloween and really want to experience this time of year as a family!

We're not sure what to do with kids during the race as it seems unlikely we'll have an additional adult with us on this trip. And if we do, they'll probably be running too! :-)

Is anyone using Kids Nite Out or Fairy Godmother services for child care? Can you tell me about the details if you are? Thanks!

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #1489
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

WooHoo!!

Fall is HERE in CFL! No need to worry about the heat.......

Ok, a little dose of reality, a front came through and dropped the dew point this morning to 69F; down from the mid 70's. The temperature remains 72-73 but it feels great. The dew point will drop again tomorrow morning into the 60's and pull the temperatures into the upper 60’s. From there the seasonal temps of low at 70 and highs in the upper 80's settles in.

I was toying with running a 15k this weekend and these forecasts may have made up my mind.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #1490
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsmejosh View Post
what if they started the race, got as far as they could walk and then just dropped out? that would work wouldnt it?
Do they give out a wristband to runners and people just going to the party? At W&D I got a wristband, I didn't plan on wearing my number for the party since I'm changing...
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #1491
Freight Train
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2Castle View Post
No experience with kids races, but I would think you could just print out the registration confirmation you received and take that with you. If nobody else chimes in with experienced advice, you can contact runDisney (407-939-iRun) for the information.
Thanks! I just called runDisney and they confirmed I could pick up my daughter's packet without her being present (in case anyone else has that issue).
Freight Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #1492
lilbuddy88
Mouseketeer

Hi all we are doing the 5k and the kids races. I have a question for those who have done it in the past. How strict are they with the 16 min mike pacing. I can meet it but I've been trying with my mom and she is currently finishing at 50 to 51 mins. I really want to walk with her to give her support. She wants to finish and not be picked up. If you a slightly behind the pacing will they force her to be picked up?
lilbuddy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #1493
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post

Ok, a little dose of reality, a front came through and dropped the dew point this morning to 69F; down from the mid 70's. The temperature remains 72-73 but it feels great. The dew point will drop again tomorrow morning into the 60's and pull the temperatures into the upper 60’s.
This is the time of year that feels most cruel over here on the Tampa Bay coast... you guys actually start feeling some relief at night, while the Gulf keeps us warm and humid for another month or more. It's always such a shock, how nice Orlando evenings and mornings feel in comparison! ~sigh~ "Upper 60's" has such a nice ring to it...

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #1494
Castle2Castle
Disney Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuddy88 View Post
Hi all we are doing the 5k and the kids races. I have a question for those who have done it in the past. How strict are they with the 16 min mike pacing. I can meet it but I've been trying with my mom and she is currently finishing at 50 to 51 mins. I really want to walk with her to give her support. She wants to finish and not be picked up. If you a slightly behind the pacing will they force her to be picked up?
I've only done half marathons and marathons this year, but there's a bit of built-in leniency in the 16:00/mi pace already. That time starts from the last person to cross the starting line, so if you're toward the front or middle-of-pack, you have the 16:00 + time between you cross and that person crosses the start line. From what I've read and heard from those who have done other 5ks in the past, it sounds like Disney is perhaps a bit more lenient with the 5k times (used to be untimed), too. Still, you'll have a bit of a buffer if you're not in the last corral, or if you are in the last corral, you can create a bit of a buffer by trying to start ahead of the back of it.
Castle2Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1495
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuddy88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2Castle View Post
I've only done half marathons and marathons this year, but there's a bit of built-in leniency in the 16:00/mi pace already. That time starts from the last person to cross the starting line, so if you're toward the front or middle-of-pack, you have the 16:00 + time between you cross and that person crosses the start line. From what I've read and heard from those who have done other 5ks in the past, it sounds like Disney is perhaps a bit more lenient with the 5k times (used to be untimed), too. Still, you'll have a bit of a buffer if you're not in the last corral, or if you are in the last corral, you can create a bit of a buffer by trying to start ahead of the back of it.
Don't worry, you are well within time. Generally, the last finishers are maintaining about a 20 minute pace or a hair over 60 minutes clock time. I would think that with this event being a cross country run, the mouse would be even more lenient. The reasoning behind the leniency is that the 5ks do not follow any public roadway so there is no pressure to re0open a road. In addition, the park with the course usually opens well past the end of the 5K event. Saying this, if you two decide to stop and sit on a park bench, all bets are off

As info, there is no official timing on the Disney 5ks

Go out and have fun.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #1496
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

Ok, a little dose of reality, a front came through and dropped the dew point this morning to 69F; down from the mid 70's. The temperature remains 72-73 but it feels great. The dew point will drop again tomorrow morning into the 60's and pull the temperatures into the upper 60’s. From there the seasonal temps of low at 70 and highs in the upper 80's settles in.

I was toying with running a 15k this weekend and these forecasts may have made up my mind.
Now you know that wont last long but send that cool weather further south. You know we have 10 1/2 months of summer a year. Heat wont be to bad for me since i have been running in the evening when i go. Temps have been upper 80' to low 90's down here. I am ready to go have fun.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1497
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
As info, there is no official timing on the Disney 5ks

Go out and have fun.
They don't chip time the 5Ks? That seems odd. Seems like even the smallest races around here just about all are timed.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #1498
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
They don't chip time the 5Ks? That seems odd. Seems like even the smallest races around here just about all are timed.
Strange isn't it? A small $25 local 5k has chip timing, tech shirts and must compensate off duty LEO's for street control yet a Disney 5k costs $60, is not timed, hands out cotton shirts and is run entirely off the public roadways.

Disney has not chip timed the 5K's since the early 2000's. I thought they would the January 5K due to needing some way to monitor Dopey runners, but to date, the information still omits the chip timing. But thinking it through I am betting the Dopey runner's bib will be used for both the 5 and 10k runs and a finish mat will be energized on the 5K Thursday to record Dopey runner's finishes. (Note not the start times, only on at the finish line to record the fact the runner passed the spot.)
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #1499
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Miracle Miles? I'll be there too! I signed up last minute last night.
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #1500
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Following the "finish upright" training program (though not on the exact same days).....paraphrasing myself from the "wall" thread....

Today I did 11 miles in the rain. Ended up splitting it in two halves (getting chilled between) because of a lightning storm that rolled through (SCARY!). I finished like an hour after I thought I would, and made my family wait for me (I was taking a VERY roundabout way to the Y and I was supposed to get there around the same time they did for Aikido, 2 hours after I started). I was wearing clothes that were fine in the daytime but made me nearly invisible when I finished in the nighttime b/c of that storm...

And I mapped it just with a map, and didn't realize how many sidewalks would be missing, etc etc etc. Oh, and I have below-shoulder-length hair, it was soaked, and at around 6 miles I lost my ponytail holder b/c I guess it wasn't tight enough.

But...I did it. Did it! I've never ran that far. Ever.

I both feel like "yeah, of course, I mean I *have* been training" and also "omg omg omg omg!" Gonna guess that's somewhat common.

And now, I suppose, I now enter the "taper" part of training? No more long runs on the "upright" plan that I recall...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: