Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
gregf71
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT15 View Post
Gregf71, I am late to join this tea party, and hope you can help.. I am planning to take the Alaska cruise next July- but am trying to decide if I should fly into Seattle and drive to Vancouer or take puddle jump in. I think the drive would be nicer, but not sure how much of an effort customes broarder crossing will be- does anyone have any suggetions on this?
also looking to try to scope out the excursions and am blown over by the number of excurisons to choose from at each port.. HOW to choose!! ANY ADViCE IS WELCOME!! THANKS. ;o)
Hi! Since I have not done both, I cannot compare flying into Vancouver versus driving up from Seattle. That said, either way, the Customs policies should be the same, so the process should be the same. The only difference might be the time it takes and the secondary costs involved. If you fly into Vancouver, then you have the cost of the plane tickets and transportation to and from the port. If you drive up from Seattle, then you have the cost of a rental car, gas, maybe food along the way and possibly long term parking while on the cruise; though I suppose you could rent in Seattle, drop off in Vancouver (which may cost more), and then rent another car in Vancouver and return it in Seattle. The other thing to consider is your time. The flights between the two cities was 30 to 40 minutes, plus time in the airports, while the drive can take more than 2 and a half hours. My advice is to write down the pros and cons of both for you and then decide which one makes the most sense. I can tell you though that if you have the opportunity to spend a day or two in Vancouver before or after the cruise, then you should do it.

For the excursions, yes, there are lots to choose from. My advice here is to read all of the details for each excursion because their names are sometimes lacking information. For example, in Juneau, I went on the Mendenhall Glacier Float trip. By the title, one would think that this would be a pretty calm, relaxing tour. But, if you read the details, you discover that it included sections of whitewater rafting! I don't know about you, but whitewater rafting is not something I would describe as relaxing. Anyway, the more you know the better. Truly, you need to decide what would mean the most to you and what you really want to do. Once you figure that out, then book it! Maybe you break things up a bit...one port you do something adventurous, then something more cultural in another, and then another thing more natural in the last. It is really up to you. And ask yourself, "When will I be in Alaska again?" We definitely want to go back someday, but with so many other things to see and experience in this world the odds are that we will not return for many, many years.
gregf71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: