Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
CBJHockeyNut
Mouseketeer

Rome in Limo

If you have used this company in the past, I would love you hear your feedback about your experience and any helpful tips. I am starting to plan for next summer. In the past we have always done Disney excursions and I don't have experience with booking on our own.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
2007 DCL Eastern Happy and Laid Back Cruisers - 2/3/2007
2008 15-day EB Panama Canal Repo
Thanksgiving Day Gang 2009-- November 21-28, 2009
Northern European Capitals--July 6-18, 2010
NYC 8-night to Bahamas--June 22-30, 2012
Western Caribbean--August 3-10, 2013

Planned:

12-night Mediterranean Cruise--2014
CBJHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Mommb
Mouseketeer

We used Rome in Limo for a private tour of Rome in June, and they were wonderful. Our driver, Mike, met us right by the ship -- as soon as we entered the parking area, we saw him, with a Mercedes minivan. He narrated the entire drive for us. We were able to visit the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, city hall (by the "Wedding Cake" monument -- can't remember the name), Coliseum (and more) before Mike dropped us off at a pizza/pasta restaurant for lunch, which was authentic and not overly touristy. We then met our tour guide at the Vatican. We had debated whether it was worth getting a guide, but it definitely was. Our guide directed us quickly through the ticket office and then through the museum, the Sistine Chapel,and St. Peter's basilica. With the crowds, I know we would have trouble navigating on our own, and we would not have learned as much. After we met Mike again, he has us back at the ship well over an hour before "all aboard" time.

We passed several tour groups, including Disney excursions, during the day, so I know we were moving faster than they were and were seeing more. The slightly additional cost for the 4 of us to have our own group was worth it to us.

In Florence, we did the Disney "Florence on your own" tour, and felt we made the right choice there because Florence was small enough to walk around ourselves.
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

We used Rome in Limo for Florence, Rome and Naples and these ports turned out to be our favorites of the trip.

We booked just a driver for Pisa/Florence but he turned out to be very informative as he drove us around. Pisa was a lot of fun and then we drove on to Florence. Obviously we were cramming a lot in with these two stops, but we felt it was worth it to us. I did find myself wishing that we had started with a list of what we specifically wanted to see and do because he spent more time in Pisa than we really wanted.

Learning our lesson from the previous day we met our Rome guide and driver with a specific list of where we wanted to visit. This went more smoothly as she knew to pace things a little faster that way. We opted for a separate guide for Rome as there is just so much to take in. Since we were in Rome the last Sunday of the month the Vatican was free and too crowded to visit so we opted to wait for a land trip to Rome to see the Vatican. Our guide was surprised we wanted to visit the Church of Bones as well as the usual touristy sites. That is one very unique church.

For Naples we opted for Pompeii in the morning and Positano and Sorrento in the afternoon. Just a driver for this port but again he was very informative and helpful. Stopped at a roadside fruit stand where we purchased olive oil, bruschetta seasonings and sampled the amazing oranges and cherries. He also managed to squeeze in a quick stop at a cameo factory for me near Pompeii. Oh, we did pay for a guide for Pompeii and she was great and very much worth the extra cost.

At each port the places we stopped for lunch were great We shared our tours with other families and the teens were raving about the food they loved it so much The website also has a page where you can list your tour to see if you find anyone else to share it with, but we found other DIS families on our cruise meet thread.

All of the drivers and guides were very friendly and knowledgeable. They don't just shoot facts at you in a long ramble. They really take the time and effort to present information in a fun interesting way.

For Florence and Naples we had 2 families for a total of 4 adults and 4 teens. For Rome, since we wanted the guide for the whole trip as well as the driver we went a larger minibus with 4 families for a total of 8 adults, 5 teens and 1 child (10 year old). This was great because it allowed us to save money and also a smaller size group that was quicker to move around with.

We plan to return to Italy and use RiL again for a land vacation so we can see more in at a relaxed pace.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

A woman from our Celebrity Silhouette roll call on Cruise Critic booked multiple vehicles with RomeInLimo for Naples and Civitavecchia. From Naples - we went to Pompeii (with a separate guide booked there - well worth it), Sorrento, and Positano. We spent 3 days in Rome before our cruise began, so we went to Orvieto and Civita Bagnoregio from Civitavecchia. Both drivers were wonderful, and I highly recommend RomeInLimo.

Last edited by NancyIL; 08-25-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
finest14
Cruisenado!

Ditto!

We used them in Rome, Florence, and Naples/Sorrento. We had perfect days in each port. We highly recommend them.

finest14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

We just came home from our Med cruise yesterday and used RiL for all 3 Italian ports and loved all 3! We did get a guide for Vatican & Pompeii which was well worth the $ and now I wish we got one for the Coliseum. Having a guide saves so much time trying to navigate & figure out where to go. They zip you right in & give so much info that we'd never get otherwise.

All 3 vans were immaculate-clean & modern Mercedes. They were 3-row seating since there was 6 of us. In Rome, as our kids got in the 3rd row, Nick our driver asked them if they need WiFi. (As if anyone needs wifi.) My kids then thought he was a Roman God after that. Of course he turned it off when it came time to talk & explain about Rome as we got closer to the city. It is a 1 hr drive from Civitavecchia to Rome so it gave them a little time to chill out.

Our driver in Naples, Giovanni, was incredibly kind and really hit it off with my dad, since his grandmother was from that area. My dad knows some Italian from having a grandmother that spoke no English but in Florence & Rome it seemed they didn't know what he was saying and we all thought he was rambling. Yet, once we got to Naples the driver understood him completely. It was like he found home. Several times Giovanni invited my father to come stay at his house & they'd go fishing together. At the end, he gave my parents a bottle of limoncello.

I only wish I was clear to them about what's most important. The day flies by. We spent a decent amount of time in front of the Vittorio Emmanuel building, in the square where Mussolini gave speeches. Yet we never got to Piazza Navona. Had I known, I would have given the VE a drive by. I was the only one in our group who had been to Italy (did a 14 nt Perillo tour). So my family doesn't miss what they never saw but I do.

I can't say enough about them! I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again, even for a land tour.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
happy_momma
Earning My Ears

We used Rome in Limo for Rome for our Med cruise in July, and had a wonderful day. Our guide, Gabriele, was knowledgeable and friendly, and had great interaction with our two kids. In hindsight, the only thing I would have done differently would have been to skip the Vatican. It was really beautiful, but seeing Rome, plus the Vatican, was a lot for one day (particularly when travelling with children), and I wish we'd had some more time in Rome. We did have a guide for the Vatican, and I would recommend not attempting to do that part without a guide if you decide to include it.
happy_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

We used them for all three Italy stops!!! Fabulous well worth the extra$$. Get the extra guide for the Vatican and Pompei!!
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

I,too, can highly recommend Rome in Limo !! We have toured with them several times and have just booked them for all 3 Italian ports for our cruise next May 31, 2014. I cannot say enough good things about them !
I would not think of hiring anyone else ! Book early so you won't miss out !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: